Homebrew TUW: Out of the Maelstrom
Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 162
  1. #1
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,842

    TUW: Out of the Maelstrom

    OOC: This uses the TUW gaming system. Information on the system can be found in the Community page: The Untamed Wilds.
    The online character records are found in the following thread: The Ansylin Campaign Character Records.

    "Out of the Maelstrom" is the first act of the Asylin Campaign. Having completed the Caravan Campaign, the participating characters should be about the Adept level of accomplishment.

    Name:  maelstrom.jpg
Views: 4136
Size:  47.8 KB
    GM: The Maelstrom, like the Burning Sun, is a god to the peoples of Asylim. This god is not worshiped nor revered. He is feared, and sacrifices are made to appease his constant ire so that storms do not arise and destroy the city, which is the southern most of the continent, even more so the vessels sailing upon his sea.

    The Maelstrom resides in the sea just passed the farthest point of the tip of land where the two seas meet in a constant turbulent gyre that threatens to drink all into its gaping mouth. Criminals from Asylim have been taken to its outer edge, as close as any sailing ship dare approach, and jettisoned into the swirling froth, the Maelstrom choosing their fate, as the saying goes.

    It is toward this place of condemnation that the would-be heroes of Southroad Fair are now bound, having their unconscious bodies placed within grated crates and stored in the hold of the prison ship.

    Name:  TUWmapS.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  129.4 KB

    GM: The party has approximately 116 days until Asylim sends an army to march upon Southroad Fair.
    Last edited by MacConnell; Friday, 7th December, 2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: correcting phraseology
    XP Kwargrow, Tellerian Hawke, Deuce Traveler gave XP for this post

  2. #2
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,842

    Day 305: Sheldon Wakes

    Name:  Sheldon1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  6.6 KB
    GM: Sheldon wakes to find himself pinned within the confines of a tight box. The box must be grated for his eyes shortly adjust to the dim light. With the faint illumination and the rhythmic rocking, he realizes that he is in the hold of a ship. He tries pressing upward on the lid of his confinement but finds that it is too heavy, mostly due to his prone position and the inability to create leverage. The lid does no appear to be fixed or locked in any way. With the rocking of the ship, Sheldon rolls his body right each time the ship rises and then back left, hard, each time it falls, causing his box to tip and slam. With all the other noises of a creaking wooden sailing vessels, he is unconcerned about the noise.

    With a particularly large rise and fall, he rocks the crate completely on it side, pushing the lid off to free himself. The lump on his head, from the blow that felled him, is no longer swollen nor sore. He wonders how long he and his friends have been in the hold. He scans the gloom seeing that he seems to be the first that has awakened.

    He starts momentarily preparing for a fight when he sees a man sitting in a darker shadow at the edge of the hold. The man is Norikadian, being of a tall frame with pale skin and hair. The man is much too thin, obviously from malnutrition. The man looks up and simply nods. Sheldon can see the silver collar bound about the other man's neck.

    The man speaks quietly in the Centrin tongue. Being on a prison ship sailed from Asylim, it is likely that the man speaks Ansylin as well, but since Sheldon is obviously of Centrin decent, it seems a logical choice. "I do not think you were expected to wake before they tossed all of you to the Maelstrom. Those crates are made from a very dense wood found in the jungles to the west of Asylim. It does not float."

    Sheldon runs his left hand through his long, wavy, reddish-blond hair, pulling it back from his face. He is a young man, in his twenties, unlike the Norikadian who appears to be near fifty, but the malnutrition has probably added the appearance of a few years. "Are you free to move about?"

    The man nods.

    "Good. I can see your weakened state, but if you help me, I think we can lift these lids from the other crates."

    The man assists and the lids are lifted. None of the others appears to yet be awake.

    "How long have we sailed?"

    "Two days. We should reach the Maelstrom in one more."

    "Is there any food down here?"

    The man shakes his head.

    "I guess we wait."
    Purchasing Power
    OOC:
    Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 1123 clams
    60 Plates: (platinum coin, 3000 clams)
    10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
    50 Dublins: (gold coin, 1000 clams)
    50 Rupees: (silver coin, 500 clams)
    76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
    20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds

    Current Party Holdings
    OOC:
    2 Windrunner Stallions
    8 Windrunner Mares
    2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
    4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
    4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
    2 Harnin Mining Mauls
    2 Harnin Mining Spikes
    2 Harnin Pick Axes
    drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
    parchment containing known message
    Last edited by MacConnell; Friday, 1st February, 2019 at 10:11 PM. Reason: EN World crashed. Lost information.
    XP Tellerian Hawke, Kwargrow gave XP for this post

  3. #3
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    781
    Name:  Sannit1.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  9.3 KB

    Del Sannit, simply called Sannit by anyone who speaks to him, wakes to find himself positioned in the confines of the crate. After his eyes adjust to the low light, he sits up and looks around. He sees that Sheldon is already on his feet and that an unknown Norikadian man is in the room with them. He sees that his heartmate, Bolo, has just awakened as well.

    Sannit is the the only Asylin of the crew, even though their original occupation was with the silk caravan operated from Asylim. He is of average height and build for the Asylin tribe of people. Bolo is petite and slender, as is typical of the Da'Roneh tribe from which she is descended. She still has the habit of allow her hair to fall over her face to obscure the significant scar that crosses it. The cause of such is a secret she carries tightly.
    Name:  Bolo1.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  8.2 KB

    After San-Bolo awake and are apprised of the situation, Sannit says, "Well we learned who our enemies are. It would be in our best interest for them to believe we died out here." After learning the Norikadian's name Sannit asks him, "Are you with us or have you resigned yourself to the fate the Magisters assigned to you?"

    As usual Bolo lets Sannit do the talking and takes time to study their prison, where the exit is, and if there are any other prisoners besides the Seekers and the Norikadian.
    Last edited by MacConnell; Monday, 10th December, 2018 at 07:45 PM. Reason: adding more description for reader ambiance
    XP Tellerian Hawke, MacConnell gave XP for this post

  4. #4
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,571
    Name:  Merin1.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  4.2 KB

    Merin opens his eyes groggily, and looks around, taking in the details of his unexpected environment. He is tall and slender, his gray skin, a distinguishing feature of the Amiradthan people, makes him look almost like a corpse in the absence of sunlight. His long black hair hangs loose, falling well passed his shoulders.

    ~So, we are in the hold of a ship,~
    he notes mentally, noticing the Norikadian who is wearing a silver collar. Seeing that Sheldon, Sannit, and Bolo are awake, he smiles, glad for the presence of familiar faces.

    Merin claps Sannit warmly on the shoulder, "My friends, I am glad to see that you are still alive. From the looks of things, the Magisters are carrying out their threat? I assume we're on a one-way voyage to wherever this 'Maelstrom' thing is?"

    Merin listens intently, as Sannit and Sheldon fill him in on what they know.
    Name:  Tor1.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  6.8 KB

    While they are talking, Tor comes to consciousness as well. THe big Norkadian Dahmre is quite a sight when standing at full height, being head and shoulders taller than most. His extra bulkiness being derived from the fact that, though his father was a typical Norikadian Aedaman, his mother was an Orngaddrin Mhytre. The hybrid produced from the two races is a rare occurrence. Despite his obvious presence in a room, Tor has a kindly heart and a quiet disposition. The process of greetings and information sharing is repeated.

    Tor adds, "Let us see to Indigo and Vadin. They appear to still be out. How is everyone? Does anyone require assistance for injuries?"

    Merin and Tor will assist anyone who still needs help with their recovery, through collaborative manipulation of Way.
    Last edited by MacConnell; Monday, 10th December, 2018 at 07:48 PM. Reason: edited dialogue to fit knowledge
    XP MacConnell gave XP for this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,842

    San-Bolo Assess the Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwargrow View Post
    After San-Bolo awake and are apprised of the situation...
    GM: San-Bolo rise and meet each other's eyes first. It takes a few seconds for recognition of visual queues in the gloom. The ship tosses on the sea. Spray can be heard as well as the occasional thump of an air gap between the hull and a wave. No voices are heard from above, but movement is evident. The two realize that they are, indeed, in the hold of a ship as was promised.

    Quote Originally Posted by Kwargrow
    Sannit says (in Ansylin which is his instinctive language), "Well we learned who our enemies are. It would be in our best interest for them to believe we died out here." After learning the Norikadian's name Sannit asks him, "Are you with us or have you resigned yourself to the fate the Magisters assigned to you?"
    The man shakes his head, slightly, and answers in broken Ansylin. "We need keep voices down. Name can be powerful thing. I not say at this time. You are on prison ship."

    The man leans his head to the left side and moves his long, blond hair so that the silver collar can be seen fastened around his neck. "I have little choice remain to me. I commanded to report is you wake. I not do this. To the Maelstrom with them all."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kwargrow
    As usual Bolo lets Sannit do the talking and takes time to study their prison, where the exit is, and if there are any other prisoners besides the Seekers and the Norikadian.
    GM: Bolo sees that Sheldon is free and is sitting on the now open crate that holds Indigo. There is nothing in this hold other than the people she can see and the crates that held the Seekers. The only ingress and egress from the hold is the grate in place at center of the seaward deck above her head. There are no stairs or a ladder. It is not obvious how they were placed here or how the placers would have exited.
    XP Tellerian Hawke gave XP for this post

  6. #6
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,842

    Merin and Tor Wake to the Situation

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke View Post
    Merin opens his eyes groggily, and looks around... Merin claps Sannit warmly on the shoulder (and speaks in the common Ansylin), "My friends, I am glad to see that you are still alive. From the looks of things, the Magisters are carrying out their threat? I assume we're on a one-way voyage to wherever this 'Maelstrom' thing is?"
    Sheldon gestures for Merin to speak more quietly as the Norikadian stranger says, "One more day."
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke
    ... While they are talking, Tor comes to consciousness as well. The process of greetings and information sharing is repeated. Tor adds, "Let us see to Indigo and Vadin. They appear to still be out. How is everyone? Does anyone require assistance for injuries?"
    GM: The question is instinctive among friends, but only Indigo was physically injured and in the interim of two days previous travel, her wounds have healed. She blinks her eyes and sits up.

    "Torvald?"

    GM: The quiet questioning mention of his name sends an intense chill down Tor's spine. He stands from his kneeling position over Indigo's crate and looks over at the frail, beaten excuse for a Norikadian. Recognition and utter surprise imbed an expression upon his face. Tor's response is not a question. "Father."
    XP Kwargrow, Tellerian Hawke gave XP for this post

  7. #7
    Name:  Vadin1.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  7.1 KB

    Vadin slowly awakens. He looks as if he may be related to Sheldon due to the similarity of appearance, both being of Centrin origin, but Vadin is a bit taller and his hair much redder. Vadin was not an original member of the Southroad Seekers. He was, actually, part of a exploration unit out of Boga City that had found itself on the losing end of a conflict with some Evipau. He elected to join in with the Seekers after some chance travel with them.

    He sits up and looks around saying, "well that could have gone better." He rubs his eyes trying to gain clarity in his sight. Vadin adds, "I am happy to see you all again." He looks around again and says "It seems we are on a boat, I imagine they are not taking us to a tropical beach. What have I missed?"
    Last edited by MacConnell; Monday, 10th December, 2018 at 07:50 PM.
    XP Kwargrow, MacConnell gave XP for this post

  8. #8
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    781
    San-Bolo share a look at the exchange between Tor and his father, but they remain silent so as not to disturb this emotional reunion. They keep their minds on the task at hand, escaping this hold. The most obvious answer to reach the grate above their heads is to stack the crates. They intend to enlist the help of the other Seekers to arrange the crates as quietly as they can. Bolo will manipulate Way to try and determine if there are any people outside the hold.
    XP Tellerian Hawke, MacConnell gave XP for this post

  9. #9
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,571
    Tor cannot believe his eyes! Father. he whispers, excitedly. They told me that you were dead, no doubt to goad me and the other Seekers into rash action, in order to trap us. Is your collar cursed? Can it be removed without harm? I must get you away from this place! Is mother alive? Is she here? Tell me about the size and strength of the crew; it might be necessary to kill them all!

    Everyone can see, from the look on Tors face, that he means business. Tors mind is no longer on escape; it is on violence, and revenge.
    Last edited by MacConnell; Monday, 10th December, 2018 at 09:09 PM.
    XP Kwargrow, MacConnell gave XP for this post

  10. #10
    Vadin hears Tor's comments and thinks to himself, ~Well, I certainly missed something.~ He sees the look on Tor's face and understands what Tor wants. He nods at Tor, as to indicate that he will be with him in whatever happens.
    Laugh Tellerian Hawke laughed with this post

Similar Threads

  1. Maelstrom or Stormwrack?
    By Zander in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: Tuesday, 10th May, 2005, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •