TUW: Out of the Maelstrom

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit says to the group, "Here is my plan. Those that wish to decorate themselves, will be the distraction to draw the attention of the guards. I figure we can make up some corny speech about the evil doings of the Magisters and how no army of theirs will prevail. The others will be part of a stealth attack and use Way to burn the supply wagons or spoil the food. Once that's done we retreat and let superstition and hungry stomachs tear their ranks apart. If they persist we can strike again, this time taking some of their lives. Are there any more ideas?"

Bolo says, "I will go with the stealth unit and use Way to turn their food toxic. If the soldiers continue to eat the food and not get sick then we will know they have a Way user that can reverse the taint."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, "In regard to the spoilage of the food, I don't think we should take that chance; we should burn it, rather than spoil it. I will go with you, and use my Phoenix Feather to ensure a proper-sized blaze."

Tor chuckles, "I guess that makes me the bait,"

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit says, "Merin, we have a rare disagreement. I still think we should burn the equipment wagon and spoil the food. It will trouble their minds to have all that food sitting there that they can't eat, and illness will slow them down even more. If there is a strong enough Way user to reverse Bolo's taint then we need to know that."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin says, "Very well, then. But in that case, I will reserve the use of the feather; if we identify a Bender among them, I shall use the feather for that person's demise. I think we could greatly affect their morale, if they are forced to watch such a spectacle."

Tor nods grimly. He knows that Merin is simply being tactical, but he cannot help but feel a sense of regret, for the need to plan someone's "demise," even if that someone is part of a force being sent to destroy his new home.

Tor muses inwardly: ~Such are the fortunes of war, I guess. The loss of life is regrettable, even if it is inevitable. I wish the Magisters had not proven to be malevolent. Had they been inclined to use their powers for the greater good, both Asylim and Southroad would have profited immensely. But instead, the two communities are now preparing to end each other's very existence. For if their forward army is defeated, Giodavi will surely recommend a follow-up attack on Asylim itself.~

redraider629

Explorer
Vadin mulls over what he should do. "I think I will serve better as a distraction along with Indigo, Sannit, and Tor."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y: 2, Day: 87, The Seekers Attack

OOC: All characters and companions receive 10 developmental points.

[sblock=The Ansylin Army]The first formation is comprised of 100 hoplites, armed with lances and shields. The second formation is comprised of 100 archers. The supply wagons, pulled by teams of donkeys, bring up the rear. For 200 soldiers plus 4 centurions, there needs be quite a bit of supplies. The wagons contain food stores, water, extra arrows, and cooking supplies. There are 20 cooks riding on the wagons.[/sblock]

Using their horses to travel at a sensible flanking distance, the Seekers follow alongside the army as it marches to a halt. The lead centurion calls halt, and his order is repeated by all other centurions, halting the line. The call for making camp is conducted in the same manner. In a disappointing maneuver seen by the flanking Seekers, the supply wagons are pulled forward slowly while the archers and hoplites divide ranks and march backward. The soldiers make camp in a very strategic manner that would well-protect the supplies and civilians from physical approach.

The increase in approachable distance is of no real consequence to Merin or Sheldon, but Bolo will need to be much more careful. Knowing that the others do not yet fully understand his talents or capacity for manipulating the Way lines about him, Sheldon spends considerable time to explain that no distractions are needed and that no one needs to be bait. He works with Sannit until he can sufficiently darken an area around him and Bolo. He also talks Merin into making use of his Phoenix feather to heat the wagon that carries water.

Before the Seekers moved forward to trail, the group divided its own forces. Sheldon, Indigo, and Vadin took the west flank, while Sannit, Bolo, Merin, and Tor took the east flank. If for any reason a Bender should be among the armies, Indigo and Vadin would provide physical protection for Sheldon while Sannit and Tor would provide physical protection for Bolo and Merin.

Being comfortable in their positioning, the Seekers rest during the afternoon and into the night. As the waning illumination of the night stabilizes and the prevailing winds calm and begin to shift, it is in this quiet that the Seekers move. Having had to memorize the location of their desired targets, the low burning fires of the army camp provide little confirmation. Bolo, Sannit, and Tor move further toward the eastern line while Merin lags back, having no need to close further. Tor kneels in front placing his shield in front of him. Bolo kneels directly behind him with Sannit behind all of them, darkening their location.

A tiny dancing light appears northward of the camp. The front guards on duty take notice. Two more dancing lights appear. The guards begin to get the attention of others. Murmuring can be heard coming from the camp as the soldiers are confused and suspicious of the lights. Nine more lights, completing a dozen in all, dance and move about the forward line of the camp. This is the sign. Bolo, Merin, and Sheldon all paranormally assault their chosen targets. Only the following days will show if Bolo was successful.

Two wagons burst into flame. One fire is quickly extinguished. The morning light will show if this was the water supply. The second wagon roars on in a towering inferno. The dancing lights all run straight toward the army camp then veer skyward to disappear. The centurions begin hollering commands to put out the fire. Soldiers holler back that the water supply has been destroyed. It seems the morning light will not be need to confirm Merin's attack.

Total anarchy ensues in the military camp while the Seekers quietly ease away into the night. Not a single arrow is launched in reprisal.

The morning light bares the witness of the night's destruction. The centurions maintain a tentative control of their forces. The wagon that was a towering inferno still smolders, sending pillowy smoke into the sky. Carrion and predatory birds have gathered to circle the smoke, hoping to poach game or feed on what may have died. The simple birds cannot know that the destruction caused no loss of life, even the donkeys had been freed from their tether for the night. Several small bands of troops, consisting of 5 hoplites and 5 archers, are sent in various directions, apparently to search for water. Cooks are spreading out to prepare meals. The army must eat despite the night's losses.

[sblock=Character Statistics]
Sheldon: full health
Tunic: 60 - 2 = 58
Torvald: full health
Surcoat: 70 - 12 = 58
Merindell: full health
Surcoat: 80 - 6 = 74
Indigo: full health
Vest: 30 - 4 = 26
Sannit: full health
Stone Bolts: 10
Tunic: 60 - 24 = 36
Bolo: full health
Turtle: full health
Vadin: full health
Tunic: 60 - 6 = 54[/sblock]
[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 23 clams
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
40 Dublins: (gold coin, 800 clams)
42 Rupees: (silver coin, 420 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
10 Iron Bricks
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Inventory]
OOC: Animal:
  • Spider Fangs: 5 pair: (+ Cohesion){-Mind / -Will x2}
Metal:
  • Zinc Ingots: 14 (+ Health) {Mend x2}
  • Tin Ingots: 10 (+ Persona) {Muddle x2, - Persona x2}
  • Lead: 2 {Rend x2, -Health x2}
  • Iron Ingots: 3 (+ Confluence) {Mend x2}
  • Aluminum Ingots: 7 (+ Motility) {Thump x2}
  • Chromium Ingots: 1 (+ Strength) {Rejuvenate x2}
  • Magnesium: 5 (+ Will) {Soothe x2, Mend x2, +Health x2}
  • Copper: 2 (+ Persona) {-Persona x2, Shock x2}
  • Molybdenum: 9 (+ Motility)
  • Palladium: 2 {sound x3}
  • Silver: 1 (+Will) {-Will x3}
Plant:
  • nothing here at this time
Stone:
  • Slate: 5 (Thump x2)
  • Bloodstone: 4 (+ Health) {Mend x2}
  • Sunstone: 1 (+ Persona) {Charm x2}
  • Heartstone: 3 (+ Confluence) {Mend x2}
  • Carbone Bricks: 1 (Heat x2)
  • Lodestone: 1: {Thump x2}
  • Slickstone: 1: {Cool x2}
  • Livestone: 3 (+ Strength) {Restoration x2}
  • Milkstone: 1 (+ Will) {Harmony x2}
  • Emberstone: 1 (+ Cohesion) {Charm x2}
  • Waterstone: 1 (+Motility)
  • Nightstone: 1 (+Adhesion) {darken x3}
  • Ruddystone: 1 (+Health)
[/sblock]
[sblock=Unknown Items]
OOC: Bird Skull (Heron): 1
[/sblock]
[sblock=Party Discoveries]
OOC:
Hidden Valley in the Western Jungle
Secluded Lake in Western Jungle with Mysterious Island
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tor says, "I think we should follow one of the bands that went looking for water, and kill them quietly. Leave the others alone. But if we keep doing this sort of thing, piecemeal like this, it will definitely make them paranoid and afraid."

Merin nods in agreement.

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
I think we should follow one of the bands that went looking for water, and kill them quietly

Stroking his beard, Sannit replies, "Killing them is an option, but we have found that turning them against their evil masters also works. Perhaps we have not seen all the potential here. We have only thought about destroying or driving this army away. What if we could steal it? We certainly could use the numbers and if we split them up and give them plenty of jobs to do they will thank us for it. There will be lots of work on the trade route between Southroad Fair and Bergbaulager, and we could inquire about volunteers for the new port started by Tor's father. I'm sure there will be some of the force who will say their families are threatened and of course we will have to kill the officers and those loyal to the Magisters, but it wouldn't hurt to try my theory on the water scouts."

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y: 2, Day: 88, Other Options

Tor says, "I think we should follow one of the bands that went looking for water, and kill them quietly..."
Stroking his beard, Sannit replies, "Killing them is an option, but we have found that turning them against their evil masters also works..."
...Tor nods in agreement, "Indeed. Let's do it."
Sheldon runs his left hand through his hair, pulling it back from his face. "That is a brilliant idea. How do we go about it?"
[sblock=The Ansylin Army]The first formation is comprised of 100 hoplites, armed with lances and shields. The second formation is comprised of 100 archers. The supply wagons, pulled by teams of donkeys, bring up the rear. For 200 soldiers plus 4 centurions, there needs be quite a bit of supplies. The wagons contain food stores, water, extra arrows, and cooking supplies. There are 20 cooks riding on the wagons.[/sblock]
While the gathered Seekers discuss their option, some commotion from the army camp draws their attention. Not every word can be heard, but it appears that one of the cooks at the back of the line is yelling to the others about the food in his cookpot. Some of the soldiers toward the front of the line are observed scrambling off into the scrub, loosing the food that they have eaten.

The centurions yell commands to dump the food and begin organizing hunting parties. They then gather in a group with squad leaders and the perceptive cook, apparently discussing possible options. Hunting is conducted methodically rather than strategically. Hoplites line out to march through the scrub, spooking all small game toward a line of archers, you quickly poach the running game. It appears the army will be able to feed itself, but it has now been significantly slowed. The search for water will be its primary concern.

[sblock=Character Statistics]
Sheldon: full health
Tunic: 60 - 2 = 58
Torvald: full health
Surcoat: 70 - 12 = 58
Merindell: full health
Surcoat: 80 - 6 = 74
Indigo: full health
Vest: 30 - 4 = 26
Sannit: full health
Stone Bolts: 10
Tunic: 60 - 24 = 36
Bolo: full health
Turtle: full health
Vadin: full health
Tunic: 60 - 6 = 54[/sblock]
[sblock=Purchasing Power]
OOC:
Store Credit in Southroad Fair: 23 clams
10 Gold Ingots (200 clams)
40 Dublins: (gold coin, 800 clams)
42 Rupees: (silver coin, 420 clams)
76 Ocrin: (tin coin, 76 clams)
20% Southroad Fair Olive Trade Proceeds
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Party Holdings]
OOC:
2 Windrunner Stallions
8 Windrunner Mares
2 decorative saddles (San-Bolo)
4 standard saddles (Tor, Sheldon, Indigo, Merin, Vadin)
4 Windrunner Colts (with pack rigs)
2 Harnin Mining Mauls
2 Harnin Mining Spikes
2 Harnin Pick Axes
10 Iron Bricks
drawing of Assassins' Guild symbol
parchment containing known message
[/sblock]
[sblock=Current Inventory]
OOC: Animal:
  • Spider Fangs: 5 pair: (+ Cohesion){-Mind / -Will x2}
Metal: