Some Good Omens appear...

I've only watched the first few episodes, but I have loved it so far; I am a huge fan of the irreverent British humor. Tennant is, of course, completely on point.

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
Oh? There is a book? Hmm. Didn't know.

I thought the show was quite enjoyable. I especially liked the Hell hound, as well as the interaction between Aziraphale and Crowley to be pretty interesting.

Ryujin

Legend
Episode 1 was good. Not sure about God being an American though!

For a production that had BBC stamped all over it, that was a little off-putting for the first bit. I managed to put it behind me after the, "Get thee behind me, foul fiend" line hit though.

Oh? There is a book? Hmm. Didn't know.

I have to admit the book is one of those things where I just don't get it.

It's an okay book. Nothing wrong with it. This is not a BadWrongFun rant or a YourFavoriteBandSucks posts. It was more or less a popcorn book for me. Especially compared to some of the other much better works from Pratchet and Gaiman. But I found out after I read it that a LOT of people really love the book. It's on a lot of recommended reading lists and is consistently rated very highly. It makes me wonder if there was something big I missed when I read it.

One thing I will give Good Omens credit for is that the story feels like it will translate well to a movie/TV. The plot should flow well, and a lot of the interesting bits should work well visually. Much more so than many other works by Gaiman or Pratchet. And the previews looked interesting. This series will probably go on my list behind season 3 of True Detective.

MarkB

Legend
I have to admit the book is one of those things where I just don't get it.

It's an okay book. Nothing wrong with it. This is not a BadWrongFun rant or a YourFavoriteBandSucks posts. It was more or less a popcorn book for me. Especially compared to some of the other much better works from Pratchet and Gaiman. But I found out after I read it that a LOT of people really love the book. It's on a lot of recommended reading lists and is consistently rated very highly. It makes me wonder if there was something big I missed when I read it.

Yep - I love it. For me, it did the whole "urban divinity" thing better than most of its contemporaries. I'll take it over American Gods any day.

Dioltach

Legend
I really enjoyed the series (except ep. 5, which I felt dragged a bit). But I think it focused a bit too much on Aziraphel and Crowley and not enough on the Them. After Dog was introduced, he more or less faded into the background. And given their eventual role, Brian and Wensleydale should have been developed a bit more.

All in all, though, it had almost everything I love about the book, and some extra bits added on.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Overall, I liked it - Tennant and Sheen were amazing as Crowley and Aziraphale.

One quibble, most episodes were over narrated. They'd switch to a scene and there would be a full description as to what was happening/about to happen - like it wasn't about to show exactly what was narrated - which it then did.

Biggest offender (imo): Narrater narrates Crowley is stuck in traffic; The scene then shows Crowley stuck in traffic; Crowley's car radio then announces how terrible the traffic is.

Maybe they were going for a bit absurd - but I think they overshot.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Biggest offender (imo): Narrater narrates Crowley is stuck in traffic; The scene then shows Crowley stuck in traffic; Crowley's car radio then announces how terrible the traffic is.

What Crowley did with the M25 is one of the more colorful ideas in the book. It deserved its moment.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases