A sleep spell for allies

ClaytonCross

Kinder reader Inflection wanted
I feel like I am losing my mind. Its quite possible. I am trying to find a spell that I saw in a video once and added to a pacifist caster I was making. It was ether a wizard or a divine soul sorcerer, So wizard, cleric, or sorcerer spells. The spell was a limited use spell that you could cast on an ally and they would fall asleep for getting 2 hours of rest in 1 hour. The theory being if you cast it 4 times on one ally they could get an 8 hour long rest in 4 hours. Not normally useful except I am playing a Warlock with Pact of the Moon who doesn't sleep, so I can take a short rest cast the spell repeat.... if I can get the spell. Which may not be possible. ... However, I don't remember the name of the spell, I deleted the character I put it on, and I can't fine it again for the life of me. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Edit: It could be a sub-class special ability I am confusing... just can't remember.

Last edited:

You may possibly be thinking of Catnap from XGtE... but it’s quite a bit different than what you describe above. Basically, the PC casts it on up to 3 willing creatures and they get an hour short rest in just 10 minutes.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
I think DM Dave answered your question, but I want to add (because people often forget) that the Sleep spell affects allies as well. :)

ClaytonCross

You may possibly be thinking of Catnap from XGtE... but it’s quite a bit different than what you describe above. Basically, the PC casts it on up to 3 willing creatures and they get an hour short rest in just 10 minutes.

That is the answer. Like I said I could only vaguely remember which is why I wanted to look it up. It is still useful for a warlock for a once a day spell 10 min slot reset, but of course its a bard, wizard, sorcerer spell because giving it to the class which it is best for would just be silly, lol. Thanks a lot thought I keep finding Eye bite, symbol, sleep, and Gentle repose when I searched but could remember the name or where I saw this. Thanks again!

ClaytonCross

I think DM Dave answered your question, but I want to add (because people often forget) that the Sleep spell affects allies as well. :)

Yes and its a level 1 spell making it the most accessible but it starts at lowest HP which means I can't pick the target if we are all grouped in a small area (if we have more space I could adjust my target range to try and pick targets of course) and as a caster that would typically be me... however aspect of the moon makes me immune.

6th lvl - Eyebite - Asleep can be targeted and if your ally chooses I we allow players to choose to fail a save for any reason.

7th lvl - Symbol - Sleep : can be used for ending watch shifts because it can be cast prior and activated as needed by people ending shifts. Perhaps the best spell for that. Also, since your sleeping using the spell slots for that doesn't matter unless your ambushed while you sleep.

The side biggest point with all 3 is that while sleep does lets you put party members to sleep it doesn't grant any bonus beyond that, sleep and eyebite last for 1 min, Symbol for 10 mins then the player is just sleeping normally can could wake up which is not bad. As a warlock I can't get Symbol and I can only get sleep with The Archfey (which I am not), then Eyebite is level 6 so its an Mystic Arcanum and I can only use it once per day.

Interestingly enough, Catnap does not "put you to sleep" it requires a willing target and knocks them unconscious so I can be effected by catnap if I choose to despite aspect of the moon. The time acceleration aspect of it would let me restore spell slots when I don't have an hour and it does not wake you after the effect so it provides the same instant sleep ability and even if it doesn't accelerate the long rest hours it still means players could roll any hit dice they had above half for better night ambush tolerance. … Kind of sad its a Bard, Sorcerer, Wizard spell because its 3rd level and since I don't sleep I focused on perception for keeping watch, If my GM would allow first hour to reduce to 10 mins it could be a way to get the party in faster rest, guard against ambushes, and move out a little faster on "chase missions". Not as good as I thought but not bad either, unfortunately inaccessible.

… I still have Hallucinatory Terrain though.

MarkB

Legend
It is still useful for a warlock for a once a day spell 10 min slot reset, but of course its a bard, wizard, sorcerer spell because giving it to the class which it is best for would just be silly, lol.

Given warlocks' limited spell selection and spell slots, would it really be worth having the spell? In order to gain the ability to take a short rest in 10 minutes you're giving up one spell slot and one known spell. It seems like a better option for casters with a more generous allotment of spells known, who find themselves in a party that runs heavily towards warlocks and monks.

ClaytonCross

Given warlocks' limited spell selection and spell slots, would it really be worth having the spell? In order to gain the ability to take a short rest in 10 minutes you're giving up one spell slot and one known spell. It seems like a better option for casters with a more generous allotment of spells known, who find themselves in a party that runs heavily towards warlocks and monks.

It would because you would regain all your spell slots by using the spell. While the lost of a known spell is a big hit the ability to recharge all your limited spell slots in 10 minutes, and to recharge Hit points for yourself and 2 other party members can be useful during combat where your fighting waves of enemies without hour breaks but you might be able to get 10 mins. Is it niche? ABSOLUTLY but because you recharge your spell slots in 10 mins the spell slot lose is entirely void and if you were to cast Hallucinatory Terrain to hide then Catnap to rest you would get both spell slots back have a hidden group with some amount of restored hit points through hit dice and could possibly turn a running scared moment into an ambush for the cost of a 1 known spell... yes that is good. Its very much what warlocks are best at.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It would because you would regain all your spell slots by using the spell. While the lost of a known spell is a big hit the ability to recharge all your limited spell slots in 10 minutes, and to recharge Hit points for yourself and 2 other party members can be useful during combat where your fighting waves of enemies without hour breaks but you might be able to get 10 mins. Is it niche? ABSOLUTLY but because you recharge your spell slots in 10 mins the spell slot lose is entirely void and if you were to cast Hallucinatory Terrain to hide then Catnap to rest you would get both spell slots back have a hidden group with some amount of restored hit points through hit dice and could possibly turn a running scared moment into an ambush for the cost of a 1 known spell... yes that is good. Its very much what warlocks are best at.

I'd be very leery of using one of my limited warlock spells known on Catnap until high level. Catnap can only work on a particular character once per long rest, so it's not like the warlock can do it on themself to regain slots more than once per day. Maybe at 11th, when you have 3 slots so you could cast 2 and have one for this once per day, and you have a good number of spells known. But in the single digits of level I'd stay away.

ClaytonCross

I'd be very leery of using one of my limited warlock spells known on Catnap until high level. Catnap can only work on a particular character once per long rest, so it's not like the warlock can do it on themself to regain slots more than once per day. Maybe at 11th, when you have 3 slots so you could cast 2 and have one for this once per day, and you have a good number of spells known. But in the single digits of level I'd stay away.

"You make a calming gesture, and up to three willing creatures of your choice that you can see within range"

...er… you can use it on your self and you get two spell slots starting at level 2 but this is a 3rd level spell so even if warlocks could get it they would already have 2 slots. Since warlocks reset spell slots on a short rest you would use your second slot to get both back... the only lose their is a limit of spells known. BECAUSE you only have 2 slots until level 11 getting that other slot back before a fight is more important not less. because it means your trading 1 known spell for the chance to recover your second spell slot when you might not have time to rest other wise.

Also, better for the same reason:

- Magic initiate (warlock) - first level spell hex - hex counts as a warlock known spell can be case again with pact slots per sage advice.
- Pearl of power , Ring of Spell Storing* , and Rod of the pact keeper

So imagine a ring of spell storing + catnap prior to a fight. You have 20 mins, you cast a spell into your ring, you cast catnap and restore your spell slots and start the battle with 3 spells instead of 2. Or you fill the ring the nigh before, have a fight and use all 3 slots, take an hour and recharge 2 cast one in the ring then catnap to get back to 3 so you can have 3 spells for 2 fights that are close... still niche because if you can get 2 hours the usefulness of catnap drops to almost nothing... but then what does any other class use if for? It's still a "we have 20 mins gather your strength and take some hit dice because they are not far behind!"

Edit: It does get better at level 11 and again at level 17 but again the problem here is that the only class that any of this matters for is a class that doesn't get the spell... so short a 5 level multi-class dip your not getting it, which then means no 17 levels of warlock.

Last edited:

Remove ads