Buff Polymorph
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buff Polymorph

5ever COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Buff Polymorph

As far as I can tell, for buffing use, this spell allows the caster to turn the target (including self) into either:

1) Any critter of the same CR as that targets level.

2) A creature the caster is familiar with into a comparable CR (which is normally lower then level).

So, which one? And how has buffing polymorphs actually worked in play?

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by TerraDave View Post
    As far as I can tell, for buffing use, this spell allows the caster to turn the target (including self) into either:

1) Any critter of the same CR as that targets level.

2) A creature the caster is familiar with into a comparable CR (which is normally lower then level).

So, which one? And how has buffing polymorphs actually worked in play?
    It is any beast of the same CR as the target.
    If the target doesn't have a CR then you use target's level.

5ever COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

It should probably say Polymorph Buffing.

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Its a pretty good buff spell as monster PCs are a CR half their level, so its a significant jump. Especially in hit points.
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

I know this isn't the question, but Friendly Polymorph is too powerful. And it's not really fun. The caster basically says, "Hey, do you want to do this fight as the character you've so carefully built up over many hours of play, or would you like to be something twice as powerful that has even less decision-making than a Fighter?"

Hydra (Lvl 25)

Quote Originally Posted by Elfcrusher View Post
    I know this isn't the question, but Friendly Polymorph is too powerful. And it's not really fun. The caster basically says, "Hey, do you want to do this fight as the character you've so carefully built up over many hours of play, or would you like to be something twice as powerful that has even less decision-making than a Fighter?"
    In play my understanding is it's much more akin to an in-combat healing spell. The fighter is about to go down, and they're polymorphed into a giant ape. Because playing a giant ape is better than death saving throws and unconsciousness. The ape isn't twice as powerful - it's got a terrible AC and just OK damage and few options. But, it's better and much more fun than twitching and bleeding all over the place.
    XP Jester David, Satyrn, ClaytonCross gave XP for this post

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    In play my understanding is it's much more akin to an in-combat healing spell. The fighter is about to go down, and they're polymorphed into a giant ape. Because playing a giant ape is better than death saving throws and unconsciousness. The ape isn't twice as powerful - it's got a terrible AC and just OK damage and few options. But, it's better and much more fun than twitching and bleeding all over the place.
    I often/usually see it used the other way: turn into the Giant Ape first, and when that dies you can go back to your regularly scheduled character at full health.

And maybe I haven't done the full white room theory on this, but how is 2 attacks (+9 to hit) doing 3d10+6 just "ok" for 7th level?

Hydra (Lvl 25)

I often/usually see it used the other way: turn into the Giant Ape first, and when that dies you can go back to your regularly scheduled character at full health.
    And as that's less fun, as you stated, why are you seeing that?

Treantmonk lays out the spell as a healing application better than I do, in one of his latest videos.

Time Agent (Lvl 24)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistwell View Post
    And as that's less fun, as you stated, why are you seeing that?

Treantmonk lays out the spell as a healing application better than I do, in one of his latest videos.
    Probably the same reason I see (and use) so many ASIs, when Feats are more "fun". It's tremendously effective.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Not fun?

On the handful of times my old sorcerer would cast Polymorph, the other players in my old group would get really excited, especially when I would polymorph the Dwarf Fighter.
    In real life, the guy was a massive Jurassic Park fan.

Just the thought of being able to turn into a T-Rex and chomp down on Minotaur skeletons and Triceratops-riding Uthgardt barbarians would make him first shout with delight, and then go on a rampage.

The fact that the Oathbreaker Paladin would ride the T-Rex into battle made it even more awesome.
    Laugh Satyrn laughed with this post