Talls Strongholds and Followers adventure - Full

TallIan

Explorer
Yup. :)
[roll0]

Technically you rolled up a Troubadour-Warrior as well, but for the sake of variety I've gone for the result below which is a Battle Priest

Battle Priest
ARMOR: Heavy (AC 18)
PRIMARY ABILITY: Wisdom
SAVES: Wisdom
SKILLS: Insight, Persuasion
SIGNATURE ATTACK: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 8 (1d8 + 4) bludgeoning damage.
SPECIAL ACTIONS
3RD-LEVEL (3/DAY): spiritual weapon

TallIan

Explorer
A slight bump.

It would be good to get this going this week.

jmucchiello and Kahlesnestor both seem complete
[MENTION=6802835]Sha[/MENTION]uyri has all the mechanics done, just waiting for a more detailed background. And I have to make sure her magic item has an effect in the game.
[MENTION=6886148]Herosmith14[/MENTION] all looks good in the OOC thread, just need to copy it into the character thread
[MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] I think has the character in his head

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
[MENTION=6776182]JustinCase[/MENTION] I think has the character in his head

Yeah, it took me a little longer than expected. Saarthax the dragonborn paladin has been added to the RG, although I haven't gotten around to adding the bio and such yet. I also need to add the uncommon magic item, and perhaps spend the extra 650 gp on something. But hey, the groundwork has been done! :)

Shayuri

First Post
As for my magic item, I was torn between the amulet and a Cloak of Protection.

The CoP is clearly more immediately relevant, but I felt like an amulet of proof against detection is more...flavorful? For a student in magical training, an opportunity for mischief and a few moments of peace, free from Clairvoyance and Arcane Eyes. For a wizardess engaged in the complicated dance of rivals and politics, a valuable tool as well.

I'm also a little unclear on this, but my reading of the item description also implies to me that it would block See Invisible, if she were to have an Invisibility spell cast on her. Could be useful.

Again, not as straightforwardly useful in combat as a bonus to defensive stats, but one that provides protection that's otherwise very hard to come by.

JustinCase

I was considering that amulet, too, seeing how dragon Knights are basically fugitives from the oppressive law. But then I read the description for the Ring of Mind Shielding (which has some of the same options), and it was immediately clear that his is what Saarthax carries. Even if he dies, he can still influence the world through that ring!

Ring of Mind Shielding said:
While wearing this ring, you are immune to magic that allows other creatures to read your thoughts, determine whether you are lying, know your Alignment, or know your creature type. Creatures can telepathically communicate with you only if you allow it. You can use an action to cause the ring to become Invisible until you use another action to make it visible, until you remove the ring, or until you die. If you die while wearing the ring, your soul enters it, unless it already houses a soul. You can remain in the ring or depart for the afterlife. As long as your soul is in the ring, you can telepathically communicate with any creature wearing it. A wearer can't prevent this telepathic Communication.

Also, I spend my gold on better armor (splint instead of chain mail) and a warhorse with barding. I still have 5 gp left. :D

TallIan

Explorer
As for my magic item, I was torn between the amulet and a Cloak of Protection.

The CoP is clearly more immediately relevant, but I felt like an amulet of proof against detection is more...flavorful? For a student in magical training, an opportunity for mischief and a few moments of peace, free from Clairvoyance and Arcane Eyes. For a wizardess engaged in the complicated dance of rivals and politics, a valuable tool as well.

I'm also a little unclear on this, but my reading of the item description also implies to me that it would block See Invisible, if she were to have an Invisibility spell cast on her. Could be useful.

Again, not as straightforwardly useful in combat as a bonus to defensive stats, but one that provides protection that's otherwise very hard to come by.

It certainly is a cooler magic item than just MOAR SPELLZ!! (my usual choice for magic items), which is why I'd like to make it be useful in the game if I can. It might be as simple as giving an enemy NPC some kind of scrying or see invisibility.

I read it as See Invisibility will not be able to see you if you are invisible with this ring. Anything that is specifically Divination Magic, but not something innate to a creature. Something like Blindsighht would still work normally, and be able to detect you.

JustinCase

BIO
Saarthax hatched in the Barony of Bedegar, after his father Sothor fled the capital during the fall of King Ormund and took Saarthax' egg with him. Here the boy grew up and learned how to fight a losing battle against the forces of Ajax the Tyrant. Trained as a soldier by his father and his men, Saarthax looked up to Sothor as the experienced paladin inspired his men through kindness and example. Saarthax knew early on that he, too, wanted to swear his Oath and become a beacon of hope.

Then the worst day of his life happened. Huge orc soldiers invaded the Barony and killed the Baron and his family. At least one Hawk Lord had joined the battle, a sadistic man called Jorn Whitefeather, and he managed to close in on Saarthax and one of the other soldiers, Bernold the battlepriest. Both were taking serious injuries as Jorn toyed with them, luring out Saarthax' father. Eventually, Sothor came to their rescue but was killed before their eyes by the superior fighter.

Saarthax and Bernold escaped in the chaotic aftermath, the paladin being dragged away by Bernold to avoid rushing back to certain death.

TallIan

Explorer
Yeah, it took me a little longer than expected. Saarthax the dragonborn paladin has been added to the RG, although I haven't gotten around to adding the bio and such yet. I also need to add the uncommon magic item, and perhaps spend the extra 650 gp on something. But hey, the groundwork has been done! :)

Not a problem. He's looking good though. I'll keep an eye out for the finishing touches, but I have enough about him to get started.

TallIan

Explorer
BIO
Saarthax hatched in the Barony of Bedegar, after his father Sothor fled the capital during the fall of King Ormund and took Saarthax' egg with him. Here the boy grew up and learned how to fight a losing battle against the forces of Ajax the Tyrant. Trained as a soldier by his father and his men, Saarthax looked up to Sothor as the experienced paladin inspired his men through kindness and example. Saarthax knew early on that he, too, wanted to swear his Oath and become a beacon of hope.

Then the worst day of his life happened. Huge orc soldiers invaded the Barony and killed the Baron and his family. At least one Hawk Lord had joined the battle, a sadistic man called Jorn Whitefeather, and he managed to close in on Saarthax and one of the other soldiers, Bernold the battlepriest. Both were taking serious injuries as Jorn toyed with them, luring out Saarthax' father. Eventually, Sothor came to their rescue but was killed before their eyes by the superior fighter.

Saarthax and Bernold escaped in the chaotic aftermath, the paladin being dragged away by Bernold to avoid rushing back to certain death.

I just missed this with my previous post. Couple of questions,

What do you envisage your father doing in Bedegar and how many men did he have? With the Dragonborn being a fugitive race, they would have to remain largely hidden, and the Barons would not want to be openly associated with them. Ajax leaves the Barons alone, apart from taxes, as long as they behave.

JustinCase

I imagine Sothor knew someone reliable in Bedegar, possibly hoping that the Baron would take him in. When that does not happen, because of not wanting to be associated with a fugitive, Sothor and his soldiers may have been working underground as a sort of resistance movement, using a secret hideout somewhere. (That may tie Saarthax to [MENTION=6886148]Herosmith14[/MENTION]'s character, if he's up for it. Frostbite may have been/still is one of Sothor's men.) In that case they would have rushed to the Baron's defense when the orcs came.

I'm not sure how many men were in that squad, but I don't think it would've been very many. Ten at the very most. Now, Saarthax is convinced it's just him and Bernold who survived, but he can't be sure.

Oh, and you may have guessed Bernold is my retainer / follower. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases