Worlds of Design: When There's Too Many Magic Items

If you’ve GMed a long-standing campaign where players reached fairly high levels, you may have run into problems of too much magic, or of too many low-powered magic items (such as +1 items) in the hands of the heroes. What to do?

If you’ve GMed a long-standing campaign where players reached fairly high levels, you may have run into problems of too much magic, or of too many low-powered magic items (such as +1 items) in the hands of the heroes. What to do?

While you could simply buy up the surplus, there are other ways that don’t put lots of gold in character’s hands. These methods can be built into a game’s rules (as in Pathfinder 2 “resonance”) or they can be added by the GM.
[h=3]Limit the Supply (i.e., limit ownership)[/h] The proper game design way is to severely limit supply, as could be done in a board game. No magic item sales. Middle-earth is an example of a world with very few magic items.

But what about joint campaigns, where several people GM in the same world? New GMs, especially, will tend to give away too much “to make people happy.”

But that’s a setting thing, not rules/mechanisms. An RPG designer doesn’t control the setting, not even his or her own.

In these days where “loot drops” are the norm, where every enemy in a computer RPG has loot, it’s really hard to get players accustomed to a severe shortage of stuff to find. So limit usage, or provide ways to use up the small stuff.
[h=3]Limit Usage[/h]
  • Tuning to just three (5e D&D)
  • Resonance
  • Easy to come up with other methods
5e D&D’s tuning of magic items to characters is one of the best rules in the game, at least from a designer’s point of view.

Pathfinder 2 beta was using resonance (level plus charisma), whereby use of a magic item uses up some of your resonance for the day, until you have no more and can use no more magic until the next day. It was more complex than that, with you “investing” in items that could then be used all day. There are lots of ways to use the idea.
[h=3]Destroy Them[/h] The D&D method was fireball or LB with failed saving throw. But that was so all-or-nothing that even I didn’t like it. Moreover, the tougher characters tend to end up with even more magic items, relative to others, because they fail their save less often; that may not be desirable.

Have everything (most, anyway) wear out. This is a hassle if you have to track something like charges or uses. I assign a dice chance (or use a standard one for a type of item), and the player rolls after each use (or I do, so the player won’t know until the next time they try to use the item). When the “1" comes up, the item is done, finis, kaput (unless you allow it to be “recharged”). For example, 1 in 20 failure rate is obvious; roll a 1 on a d20, that’s it. With two dice you can make 1 in 40, 1 in 50, whatever you want. If you want armor, shields, and other passive defensive items to wear out, rolling once per combat might do.
[h=3]Burn Them Up[/h]
  • My Skyrafts
  • Furnace Helms in Spelljammer
  • Rituals?
I devised something called Skyrafts, made of segments of Skystone (of course), that could slowly fly when powered by magic items. So you could sacrifice something like a +1 sword to get X miles of travel, X being whatever a GM wishes. The more segments (carrying capacity) in the Skyraft, the more magic it consumed. Yes, this could be expensive, but if your world has become infested with +1 items, this is a way to get rid of them.

Furnace Helms in SpellJammer accomplish the same thing, but only if you’re running a Spelljammer campaign.

You could also devise powerful ritual spells that consume magic items.
[h=3]“Enforcers”[/h] These are people who seek out wimpy characters with magic items much too powerful for them, and take them away. I don’t do this, as it doesn’t make much sense to me. But it could in some contexts.

I'm sure others have devised yet more ways to limit the influence of magic items.

This article was contributed by Lewis Pulsipher (lewpuls) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. You can follow Lew on his web site and his Udemy course landing page. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
If you want to make magic common as dirt for your game, go for it. You can have a magic item economy that way for sure. For me, I'm going to keep them rare to preserve the magical feel of them.
This is fine in theory.

In practice, however, the following will inevitably occur: unless you-as-DM always tailor the items you drop to be well-suited to your PCs (which, no matter how it's done, always comes across as contrived and unrealistic) there will come a time when the party has one or more magic items it simply has no use for, and wants to unload. An example might be a suit of enchanted full-plate found by a light-armoured party of sea-going swashbucklers to whom heavy armour is both encumbering (dex restrictions) and dangerous (you can't swim in it).

Following on from this, just because a particular magic item might have no value or use to the PCs doesn't mean it has no value to anyone else. Those swashbucklers, for example, might take their plate armour to the local monarch, or to the local mercenaries' guild, and see what people are willing to offer for it in trade. Chances are there'll be someone who both wants it and has sufficient resources (be they monetary or otherwise) to offer in return; and on completion of this transaction *boom* you've established a value for that item.

Then, both for simplicity and to avoid having to roleplay the haggling every single time (dunno 'bout you, but it'd bore the hell out of me), should the party find another similar suit you can just say they get the same value for it as the last one.

Assuming this sort of thing has been occurring for a long time - i.e. long before the PCs ever took up adventuring - it's very easy to justify a list of values* for magic items; values that have been established over the long term within that particular setting.

* - but don't just blindly use the value lists in the game books as those are often faulty; go over it yourself first with a fine-tooth comb and tweak it until it makes sense.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
In my Tiamat campaign, when the PCs entered a new Tier, I usually found an in-world excuse why their primary magic item would become +1more. I let each player pick the item (armor, weapon, implement, other) and added 'flavor' based on how they had been using it.

As an example, after max'ing out a Staff of Healing and turning around the fight against Arauthator, I added some Staff of Frost abilities to it. Our barbarian's 2-Handed Sword was replaced with a 2-Handed Sword of Dragonslaying +1.

That's a good way to ensure that items stay relevant.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
In practice, however, the following will inevitably occur: unless you-as-DM always tailor the items you drop to be well-suited to your PCs (which, no matter how it's done, always comes across as contrived and unrealistic) there will come a time when the party has one or more magic items it simply has no use for, and wants to unload. An example might be a suit of enchanted full-plate found by a light-armoured party of sea-going swashbucklers to whom heavy armour is both encumbering (dex restrictions) and dangerous (you can't swim in it).

Yes, absolutely. Not having some basis for exchange really feels bizarre and immersion-breaking, too. Exchange is very old---there are examples way back in human prehistory of what looks like trading routes, due to the fact that there is often stone tools found quite long distances from where the stone was sourced. It's just very natural for people to trade. I find WotC's rationalization for not putting any kind of prices as found in the PHB and DMG to be really weak sauce, a total cop-out to not do things they didn't want to do. The same thing happened for giving descriptions for skills (but that's another debate).

Then, both for simplicity and to avoid having to roleplay the haggling every single time (dunno 'bout you, but it'd bore the hell out of me), should the party find another similar suit you can just say they get the same value for it as the last one.

Some players like a degree of haggling and buying can also be a good way to draw people into adventures. I like doing that quite a bit. You can have a possible seller say "Well, sure, I can sell that to you, but you need to get XYZ for me...."

* - but don't just blindly use the value lists in the game books as those are often faulty; go over it yourself first with a fine-tooth comb and tweak it until it makes sense.

100%. What I do in general is consider the magic item market as being much more like the market for bespoke clothing, or, maybe even better, antiques, vintage instruments, or art. You won't find much "off the rack" but there is a market for these items. It may involve barter of items for other items, as I already mentioned, or may involve exchange of gold. One source of such items, especially lower end things like Ye Olde +1 Sworde can be adventurers who are getting out of the business and want to start a bar!

One thing I often do is have prices fluctuate around a level. So if the PCs want to buy, say, healing potions, I'll make some checks to see how the market's doing. It may be bad. If it is, the PCs may well wonder why and look into it, finding out that the source of healing potion materials has been compromised. These kinds of adventures are really good, too, because they get away from the "save the world" plot which is often a tired cliche. Even in a game that's focused on save the world things, they make for good side treks.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This is fine in theory.

Following on from this, just because a particular magic item might have no value or use to the PCs doesn't mean it has no value to anyone else. Those swashbucklers, for example, might take their plate armour to the local monarch, or to the local mercenaries' guild, and see what people are willing to offer for it in trade. Chances are there'll be someone who both wants it and has sufficient resources (be they monetary or otherwise) to offer in return; and on completion of this transaction *boom* you've established a value for that item.

Assuming this sort of thing has been occurring for a long time - i.e. long before the PCs ever took up adventuring - it's very easy to justify a list of values* for magic items; values that have been established over the long term within that particular setting.

Of course, but this isn't an example of a magic item economy, either. It may take the party months of game time to find someone with the resources and desire for a particular item, and those resources may not be hard cash. Let's take that mercenary guild. They may want that plate, but not have enough gold on hand to buy it. However, they might place 30,000 mercenaries in contract with the PCs free of cost for a year. Suddenly the PCs have a small army at their disposal when they need/want one.

Ryujin

Legend
We had it that if you found several +1 weapons, you could sell them on the open market and could buy off the black market (if you have enough GP), the +2, or +3, etc. or whatever you were looking to get.

Eventually, I had one of my (N)PC's becoming this fencer.

The (N)PC had the gold to buy the items from the other PCs.

If the (N)PC had collected an item another PC wanted, the PC would sell it to them.

If the item was not in the (N)PC's collection, then one had to purchase it on the black market at a much inflated cost.

Otherwise, at higher levels, when it came to getting followers and henchmen, rewarding a henchmen with magical item(s) increased their loyalty.

Also, after getting bored with the treasure tables from the DMG, we started to use the charts from the Encyclopedia Magica.

So finding a magical item that was unusable to the group (or individual PC) increased. This made the use of a magical item marketplace all the more fun/exciting to use.

So getting a magical sword (51 types) or dagger (43 types) that a PC was not proficient in also increased.

Add to that the rules for QUIRKS and limited use, and damage points, etc...

we had more items the group/PC could not use than use.

In my campaigns players can generally find pretty vanilla magic items for sale if they put in a little work (ie. roleplay). They tend to prefer to find the sort of items that I drop, though, because I'll do things like give a weapon the additional properties of a minor magic item. Sometimes major, if I think that a particular player wants a "signature" item for his character. Such items will frequently be held onto for far longer than such an item normally would be.

I have also mentioned, in the past, that I'll occasionally create a "legacy item" for a particular character. That would be an item that progresses in power along with the character. This eliminates the need for that character to 'keep up with the joneses."

Jhaelen

First Post
Imho, If 'vanilla' magic items don't feel magical to you, just consider them non-magical. Instead they just represent especially well crafted items using superior materials.

jasper

Rotten DM
..But what about joint campaigns, where several people GM in the same world? New GMs, especially, will tend to give away too much “to make people happy.” …
Easy don’t ever do shared or joint campaigns. The following Swords ,+1 Bastard Detect , good/evil, +1 Broad, +1 Long Sharpness, +1 Long, +1 Long Flame Tongue, +1 Short, +1 Short, +2 Rapier, +2 Short , Red Dragon Slayer +1, +2 Short, +2 Short, +2 Two handed destroyed, +2 Two Handed destroyed, +2 Two handed Life stealing , +3 Bastard , +3 Bastard , +3 Long Frost Brand +1, +3 Long Frost Brand +1, +3 Long. +3 Long Lightning, +3 Long Vorpal, +3 Short, +3 Two handed, +4 Broad Dancing, +4 Long Dancing, +5 Long, +5 Long Holy Avenger +3, +5 Short.
Over half of these swords were hand me downs during my high school play time. Hey there is a +3 long sword in the loot drop, Morrus claims it and hand me downs his +1 long sharpness.
Loot drops were common back in 1E. In the limit the supply paragraph I would add. “Look at your players magic items, and if playing an official adventure remove some magic items from the treasure list. Aka tailor your loot drops.” Back in 1E and 2 modules during the first read thru I had a pencil in hand. I would generally line out every third magic item. I also had a sign in sheet for pcs. At the bottom was a couple of lines for their magic items. So I could tailor the module to the pcs.
The player should track his magic items charges, not the game master. If the player is not doing so; lose the player.
“ASK “. Ask the players to just remove the item.
“POWER UP or TRADE IN” Change the rules so player can trade in say two +1 swords for a +2. You will have to a power curve due to rarity.

..But what about joint campaigns, where several people GM in the same world? New GMs, especially, will tend to give away too much “to make people happy.” …
Easy don’t ever do shared or joint campaigns. The following Swords ,+1 Bastard Detect , good/evil, +1 Broad, +1 Long Sharpness, +1 Long, +1 Long Flame Tongue, +1 Short, +1 Short, +2 Rapier, +2 Short , Red Dragon Slayer +1, +2 Short, +2 Short, +2 Two handed destroyed, +2 Two Handed destroyed, +2 Two handed Life stealing , +3 Bastard , +3 Bastard , +3 Long Frost Brand +1, +3 Long Frost Brand +1, +3 Long. +3 Long Lightning, +3 Long Vorpal, +3 Short, +3 Two handed, +4 Broad Dancing, +4 Long Dancing, +5 Long, +5 Long Holy Avenger +3, +5 Short.
Over half of these swords were hand me downs during my high school play time. Hey there is a +3 long sword in the loot drop, Morrus claims it and hand me downs his +1 long sharpness.
Loot drops were common back in 1E. In the limit the supply paragraph I would add. “Look at your players magic items, and if playing an official adventure remove some magic items from the treasure list. Aka tailor your loot drops.” Back in 1E and 2 modules during the first read thru I had a pencil in hand. I would generally line out every third magic item. I also had a sign in sheet for pcs. At the bottom was a couple of lines for their magic items. So I could tailor the module to the pcs.
The player should track his magic items charges, not the game master. If the player is not doing so; lose the player.
“ASK “. Ask the players to just remove the item.
“POWER UP or TRADE IN” Change the rules so player can trade in say two +1 swords for a +2. You will have to a power curve due to rarity.

I don't recall 1E being that... over run with magic items or swords. And most swords were +1. Maybe that's your point about "shared campaigns"?

jasper

Rotten DM
I don't recall 1E being that... over run with magic items or swords. And most swords were +1. Maybe that's your point about "shared campaigns"?
....But what about joint campaigns, where several people GM in the same world? ... Joint or Shared campaigns I have seen both use to mean the same thing. So if you want to limit magic items. DON'T do Joint a campaign.
Read some 1e Modules. They are magic heavy. If you have more than 1 DM in the group by the time the group runs through them twice, people will have multiple magic items.
Under the Storm Giant's castle there are 9 new magic items.

Remove ads

Remove ads