"How do I beat the Matt Mercer effect?"

On Reddit, a user named Mister-builder asked Matthew Mercer how to deal with folks who unfavourably compare their home game to that of Critical Role's videos. Matt took to Reddit to pen a reply.

"I'm running a campaign for a lot of first-timers, and I'm dealing with a lot of first-timer problems (the one who never speaks up, the one who needs to be railroaded, the NG character being played CN and the CN character being played CE). Lately, however, there's a new situation I'm dealing with. A third of my group first got interested in D&D because of Critical Role. I like Matt Mercer as much as the next guy, but these guys watched 30+ hours of the show before they ever picked up a D20. The Dwarf thinks that all Dwarves have Irish accents, and the Dragonborn sounds exactly like the one from the show (which is fine, until they meet NPCs that are played differently from how it's done on the show). I've been approached by half the group and asked how I planned to handle resurrection. When I told them I'd decide when we got there, they told me how Matt does it. Our WhatsApp is filled with Geek and Sundry videos about how to play RPG's better. There's nothing wrong with how they do it on the show, but I'm not Matt Mercer and they're not Vox Machina. At some point, the unrealistic expectations are going to clash with reality. How do you guys deal with players who've had past DM's they swear by?

TL;DR Critical Role has become the prototype for how my players think D&D works. How do I push my own way of doing things without letting them down?"

Critical-Role-Matt-Mercer.jpg

Here was the reply from Matthew Mercer:

"Seeing stuff like this kinda breaks my heart. Regardless, the fact of the matter is our style of play is just that...our style of play. Every table is different, and should be! If they just want to “copy” what we do, that’s not very creative nor what makes the game magic at the table.

I DO believe that it’s important for any gaming group to discuss expectations early into a campaign so everyone can get on the same page and avoid dissonance. However, it’s EVERYONE’S responsibility at the table to provide and add to the experience for everyone to enjoy themselves and the story, not just the DM. As I saw some comments below mention, you want a particular style of game? That level of commitments rests on YOUR shoulders. Consolidate your style and wishes with those of the other players and DM, and somewhere in that unique mix you will find your table’s special style of storytelling.

Need I also remind your players that we are a table of professional actors, and I have been DMing for well over 20 years. We have spent our lives training in particular skills that allow us to get as immersed in the characters as we enjoy doing. Anyone can jump in as deeply, should they wish to, but EXPECTING that immediate level of comfort and interest is unfair and absurd. Do they want a deep, convoluted emotional journey like Scanlan? They better be able to bring it like Sam did. No? Then sit down and just have fun finding your own path. ;)

PLUS, our style isn’t for everyone! Hell, just scan the comments below to see how many folks don’t like us, haha. I’ve played with many different players, ran games of many different styles and focuses, and I can tell you... there is so much fun variety to how a TTRPG can be played, they’re limiting their chances to enjoy it by trying to “play it just like us”.

Anyway, I say the best course is have a very frank conversation with them about these things. Clearly say that your game will feel like YOUR game (meaning you and the players together), and it’s THEIR responsibility to bring to the table what facet they want to see in it. Show them this post, if it helps. In fact, show them this message:

“Guys. Relax. Your DM is kicking ass, and is doing this for YOUR enjoyment and journey. Appreciate that, listen, build with them, and make this something UNIQUE. Abandon expectations and just have fun together as friends.”

Anyway, so sorry. Things like this are never my intent. It’s a weird, wild west these days. Your gonna be great, friend.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
To look around these forums, someone might be led to believe that point-buy is the consensus default method, rather than it being one of two secondary alternatives that exist for those too squeamish to use the actual default.

If one source gives unequal coverage in favor of rolling, then I consider that more than fair, given how far others seem biased against it.

The vast majority of the people posting here are well aware of what options exist. The same is not true of Handbooker Helper’s target audience. It’s fine if they want to present rolling stats as the default. It is, after all. But not even mentioning that there are other ways your group might prefer, let alone talk about them? That just seems like a poor “advice” video.

Sadras

Legend
You haven't really played D&D unless someone has uttered the phrases in game:
Destroy the beast, find the baby
or Not a woman?!

I pity all these Mercerites...

Last edited by a moderator:

MechaPilot

Explorer
I've recently gotten into watching the first Critical Role campaign. Mostly, I have it on as background while I work on my own D&D stuff. It's sort of like mood music in that regard.

I also agree with [MENTION=6919838]5ekyu[/MENTION] & [MENTION=6791950]cmad1977[/MENTION] in that it's kind of like listening to a radio play.

I don't see how this is any different from getting a player who has only ever had one DM before YOU. And unlike that situation, you have the benefit (if you want) of knowing exactly how this other DM does the job.

It has a lot of similarities, but Critical Role has a much large audience than one player's former DM. That popularity gives it a kind of implied authority that goes beyond "the one guy who introduced me to the game did it this way."

As with all social issues in RPGs, COMMUNICATION is key.

Very true.

See, I don't get this. Do people really evaluate other roleplayers based on their acting ability?

Unfortunately, yes, it's a thing I've seen before. Fortunately, I haven't seen it often; making me inclined to think it's a rare behavior. But then, I only have experience with a little more than handful of different DMs, a couple of whom I've trained. So, I might be wrong about its rarity.

Some of the gamers whose company/participation I most enjoy are terrible actors, but they are very good at coming up with courses of action that are both in-character and surprising. The fact that they deliver it in third-person monotone in no way detracts from the entertainment value. In fact, it may improve it because it leaves the details to my imagination, which is better than any acting.

I agree, save for one point: third-person monotone is something of a turn off for me. I'd rather have a first person William Shatner impression (or insert other bad acting stereotype here) than third-person monotone.

I kinda disagree, we've been describing spellcasting and weapon attacks with "quick one liners" since the late eighties. I dont feel that it bogs down or causes spotlight issues.

We cal it "flourish" and the level of it can vary depending on the scenario, but it has never caused a problem of any kind. The players who aren't as verbose say "nice" and then roll their dice for their attack.

I like to do that too with my NPCs (and my characters on the rare chances I get to play instead of DM). As long as it's quick, it works well. Although, you can do a more involved version of it with the first use of an ability, then the quickie version later is a reminder and call back to the initial description.

2) it’s kind of like ‘watching the tape’ when you’re on a sports team. I get to hear someone handle different situations and think about wether they did it ‘right’ or how I would do it differently.

I agree. It's a great opportunity to see how another DM (one who is, apparently, fairly popular and somewhat beloved) handles things. It's a great opportunity to look at what he does and ask myself if using what he does, or elements of it, can improve my game. Sometimes that answer is yes, sometimes it's no.

As author of a bestselling book on GMing, I have an opinion that may or may not be worthwhile to you. But I usually don't sugarcoat my dark wisdom.

VS

Without giving a title, that comes off as trying to claim authority granted to you by a group large enough to make your book "bestselling." I'm not saying that was your intent, I'm just saying that if you're going to drop being a "bestselling author" in a conversation, give a name or a link so others can see the presumably great work you've done.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I don't do accents well, but I do change the words they use.

I.e. Kobolds; "Yea, yip yip, lets go! Grrr I hear yah kupo! Yip yip."

Dwarves: "Aye, let's go then. Shiza, I canna hear them, ach."

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
I don't do accents well, but I do change the words they use.

I.e. Kobolds; "Yea, yip yip, lets go! Grrr I hear yah kupo! Yip yip."

Dwarves: "Aye, let's go then. Shiza, I canna hear them, ach."

I do a similar thing-- inventing a set of a few dozen words from their native language that monsters may throw into speech-- whenever the PCs encounter intelligent enemies.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases