"How do I beat the Matt Mercer effect?" - Page 15
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415
    Gallant (Lvl 3)

Since multiple people asked me to directly name my GMing book, it's called How To Game Master Like A F'ing Boss (although, f'ing is actually spelled out). It can be found on both DriveThruRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...:):):)ing-Boss

...and Amazon.com.

Wasn't trying to be mysterious, thought that most people on here knew me and my works. Not sure why, now that I think about it... I rarely post on ENworld.

VS

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by VengerSatanis View Post
    Since multiple people asked me to directly name my GMing book, it's called How To Game Master Like A F'ing Boss (although, f'ing is actually spelled out). It can be found on both DriveThruRPG: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...:):):)ing-Boss

...and Amazon.com.

Wasn't trying to be mysterious, thought that most people on here knew me and my works. Not sure why, now that I think about it... I rarely post on ENworld.

VS
    Also your handle looks like a gaming handle. Not like an real name.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Also your handle looks like a gaming handle. Not like an real name.
    It is a gaming handle. My real name is infinitely more pedestrian. FYI, I've written all of my 40+ gaming books under Venger As'Nas Satanis.

VS

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by VengerSatanis View Post
    It is a gaming handle. My real name is infinitely more pedestrian. FYI, I've written all of my 40+ gaming books under Venger As'Nas Satanis.

VS
    Well how nice for you. Amazon lists 24. And looking at the covers. Well does not look like stuff I would want.

Gallant (Lvl 3)

Quote Originally Posted by jasper View Post
    Well how nice for you. Amazon lists 24. And looking at the covers. Well does not look like stuff I would want.
    20 or so softcovers on Amazon, but if you look at my PDFs on DriveThru, it's over 40 (some are quite short... a few of them are even free).

No, I don't think most regular posters on ENworld would be interested in the kind of gaming material I write. I'd be surprised if there was more than a title or two reviewed over here. But it takes all kinds, doesn't it?

VS

Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

Funny!
    A friend of mine - I played AD&D with him about 25 years ago, then he moved away, now we're living close together again - watched the Mercer videos and really enjoyed it. I didn't have the time...
    We started playing D&D again, and knowing the game he never complained about my DMing style.

But then he started DMing (ToA), although he said he was a little afraid of his 1st DMing experience. But no problem at all, IMO the "Mercer-influence" had a really positive impact on his DMing style. He did a good job from the beginning. Well prepared, and entertaining in all aspects, descriptions of settings, events, NPCs and his role-playing of the NPCs: all really good.

So thumbs up for the "Mercer's online school of DMing"!
    XP 5ekyu, Rhenny, robus, MarkB gave XP for this post

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

Quote Originally Posted by BacchusNL View Post
    Myself? No. But those wendsday night groups are pretty much AL (without the obligatory bookkeeping and stuff), with people just signing up and sitting down. And people still take the time to thank the DM. And no, i'm not Canadian or something, us Dutch people are actually considered on the rude side afaik
    Oh Lolth, never run a public game in the U.S. if you expect to be thanked.

However, I still have fun, just without being thanked.

Of course, I always say thank you when I play.

Waghalter (Lvl 7)

As a fan of Critical Role....I have the exact opposite problem from the original poster....

As a background, I've been DMing (D&D as well as many other games) for 25 or years before the first episode of Critical Role even went up. And I've been gaming with the same group since the mid 90's. Funny thing is, that while I've watched every episode (as well as a dozen more D&D podcasts) NOT A SINGLE ONE OF MY PLAYERS watches any of them, nothing.

I've mentioned to them how much fun they are (especially Critical Role) and I'm met with blank stares and questions like, "Why would I want to watch someone else play D&D?".

I will say that my style of DM'ing is fairly similar to Matt Mercer's but of course I don't have his acting chops. Fortunately for me, watching Critical Role has helped to break me out of shell I didn't even know I've had and the gaming sessions at my table have definitely been improved in the past few years. Hell we are going on a currently just over 3 year long campaign right now and the players are having a blast (and so am I).
    XP Rhenny, Sadras, doctorbadwolf gave XP for this post

Superhero (Lvl 15)

Quote Originally Posted by AkaKageWarrior View Post
    Funny!
    A friend of mine - I played AD&D with him about 25 years ago, then he moved away, now we're living close together again - watched the Mercer videos and really enjoyed it. I didn't have the time...
    We started playing D&D again, and knowing the game he never complained about my DMing style.

But then he started DMing (ToA), although he said he was a little afraid of his 1st DMing experience. But no problem at all, IMO the "Mercer-influence" had a really positive impact on his DMing style. He did a good job from the beginning. Well prepared, and entertaining in all aspects, descriptions of settings, events, NPCs and his role-playing of the NPCs: all really good.

So thumbs up for the "Mercer's online school of DMing"!

Bravo. Im an old timer and when I learned to play and DM I never had the benefit of watching others play unless I joined different groups. I really like how streamed games show ways to play and DM.

My son and his friends play now and they all watch Critical Role. When I listen and watch them play, it warms my heart. They really role play and when my son DMs, he captivates his group. They are much better at roleplaying than my old groups were.

The Matt Mercer effect is a boon.
    XP ModernApathy gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by phantomK9 View Post
    As a fan of Critical Role....I have the exact opposite problem from the original poster....
    NOT A SINGLE ONE OF MY PLAYERS watches any of them, nothing.

I've mentioned to them how much fun they are (especially Critical Role) and I'm met with blank stares and questions like, "Why would I want to watch someone else play D&D?".
    I wouldn't sweat it too much, it means you can borrow ideas from the show and they'll be completely new to your players.