The Orville Season Two - Thoughts? - Page 34
Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
Results 331 to 340 of 438
  1. #331
    Member
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Aeson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Marietta, ga
    Posts
    14,009
    March Madness, spring break, baseball season starting. Most likely March Madness.

  2. #332
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Legatus_Legionis View Post
    Damn, I heard the next two weeks will be a re-run of the previous two part episodes.
    Thanks for the heads-up!

  3. #333
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,977
    Apparently there's a (rather specific ) site called "CancelledSciFi dot com" which predicts Orville might be axed because of Disney's buyout of Fox.

  4. #334
    Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

    Umbran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    34,495
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
    Apparently there's a (rather specific ) site called "CancelledSciFi dot com" which predicts Orville might be axed because of Disney's buyout of Fox.
    If it gets axed, it isn't, "because of the buyout". It'll be because while its ratings were good for the network in the first season, they're much more like average this time around.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-shows-1189209

  5. #335
    Member
    Hydra (Lvl 25)



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,977
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    If it gets axed, it isn't, "because of the buyout". It'll be because while its ratings were good for the network in the first season, they're much more like average this time around.

    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-shows-1189209
    If you say so.

    (Please note: I have no affiliation with the site and I am definitely not an expert on American TV exec decision-making!)

    But to be honest, S2 HAS been "much more like average". That edge that set Orville off (from just being much like yet another season of TNG) has been sandpapered down quite a bit. I guess that's what happens when you listen more to the critics (that hated S1) than the viewers (which were quite happy). :-/
    Last edited by CapnZapp; Friday, 29th March, 2019 at 07:22 PM.

  6. #336
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Dannyalcatraz's Avatar

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Planet Alcatraz & D/FW
    Posts
    39,388
    If it gets axed, itĺs not an either or situation. Both could be factors....and neither might be the biggest factor. Imagine, for instance, if unpublicized but very credible allegations reached upper management that Seth McFarlane had done some things that would be scandalous to the general public. Or if, for some reason, costs were spiraling out of control.

  7. #337
    Member
    A "Drizzit" Type-Thing (Lvl 28)



    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    The Stately Pleasure Dome of Xanadu.
    Posts
    7,285
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyalcatraz View Post
    If it gets axed, itĺs not an either or situation. Both could be factors....and neither might be the biggest factor. Imagine, for instance, if unpublicized but very credible allegations reached upper management that Seth McFarlane had done some things that would be scandalous to the general public. Or if, for some reason, costs were spiraling out of control.
    One of the biggest factors (and I'm not sure if someone mentioned this up in the thread) that viewers aren't familiar with, but heavily influences the cancellation of shows, is the divide between who MAKES the show and who BROADCASTS (streams) the show.

    The easiest example of this that we are all familiar with is the Marvel Superhero shows on Netflix; because they are expensive, and because Netflix didn't make them (Disney did), it wasn't worth it for Netflix to continue broadcasting (streaming) them.

    This happens all the time- for example, the Expanse.

    As a general rule, much lower-rated shows that are make by the in-house production studio will be less likely to get cancelled than higher-rated shows made by outside studios. To keep in-house that money from later rights (streaming, syndication, etc).

    So, where does that leave the Orville?

    Up until recently, in a great place! 20th Century is the production company. So all things being equal, it was sitting pretty. Of course, now the TV network has been divided from the production company (Disney couldn't buy Fox-TV because ABC). Where does that leave us and/or the Orville?

    Dunno.

    (As a side note- Disney also got the FX networks and Fox Television animation . yes, the House of Mouse owns pretty much everything from Buffy to Boba Fett).

  8. #338
    Mod Squad
    Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

    Umbran's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    34,495
    Quote Originally Posted by CapnZapp View Post
    But to be honest, S2 HAS been "much more like average". That edge that set Orville off (from just being much like yet another season of TNG) has been sandpapered down quite a bit. I guess that's what happens when you listen more to the critics (that hated S1) than the viewers (which were quite happy). :-/
    That narrative would hold if it had been a slow erosion over time, with Season 2 opening with Season 1 ratings, and folks dropping off as they realized the "edginess" was gone.

    But that's not supported by the data. Season 2 opened with a 33% drop in overall viewership, and 44% drop in the key 18-49 demographic, from its season 1 premier. That means a third of the viewers who watched the Season 1 premier didn't even try Season 2. Season 2's lack of edge can't be blamed for their drop off if they didn't try it.

    Another bunch dropped off after the season 2 premier, without going on to Episode 2 of season 2. You'd have to argue that the first episode was *SO INCREDIBLY* indicative of lack of edge, that folks didn't come back for a second episode.

    From there, the ratings have been pretty constant, minor ups and downs, resulting in an overall net slow *rise* in viewership after that initial drop at the start of the season.

    A narrative that fits this data better is:

    Season 1 has a whole lot of buzz. There's lots of curiosity. Viewers of all types flock in - some like Mac Farlane, others like Trek, others are just curios about buzz, and so on. Lots of folks are willing to give a show one season to prove itself...

    But a lot of them didn't come back. Some did come back. They saw the premier, and about half of those said, "Yeah, I guess it was like I remembered from last season. Bleah! I'm not going to keep watching," and left after this season's premier.

    What's left is actually the core audience.

  9. #339
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Brampton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    4,690
    Quote Originally Posted by lowkey13 View Post
    (As a side note- Disney also got the FX networks and Fox Television animation . yes, the House of Mouse owns pretty much everything from Buffy to Boba Fett).
    Making both Klinger from MASH and Cordelia Chase Disney Princesses.

    Fox is very intolerant of "OK" and "Good." If they don't get "Spectacular", they bring down the cancellation hammer. Hopefully this doesn't happen to "The Orville."
    Laugh Dannyalcatraz, Orius laughed with this post

  10. #340
    Member
    Lama (Lvl 13)

    Aeson's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Marietta, ga
    Posts
    14,009
    Cordelia Chase and the original Buffy would be the first Disney princesses to pose for Playboy. Hehe

Similar Threads

  1. The Orville - Season 1
    By Hand of Evil in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 288
    Last Post: Sunday, 2nd December, 2018, 05:11 AM
  2. The Orville - Season 2
    By Legatus_Legionis in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Friday, 27th July, 2018, 12:21 PM
  3. SG-1 Next Season thoughts and ideas
    By Darthjaye in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: Tuesday, 29th March, 2005, 07:05 PM
  4. Tru Calling: First Season thoughts (Spoilers)
    By Crothian in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Friday, 7th May, 2004, 11:35 PM
  5. Thoughts on watching X-Files Season One in three nights
    By barsoomcore in forum *Varied Geek Talk & Media Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Sunday, 28th March, 2004, 09:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •