D&D 5E Kids playing dnd?

Hate to repeat myself, but what backgrounds would you recommend for child players of 5th edition dnd?
Make up something they can connect to. Backgrounds really are just flavor that can give proficiency in any 2 skills plus one tool.

So if they like Bob the Builder, then they can have a "Builder" background that gives them carpentry tools and athletics and investigation.

If instead they want to play someone like the Cookie Monster, maybe Intimidation, Stealth (hiding in trash cans!) and cooking utensils.

How would you fine people get young children into dnd? What house rules would you implement? Any special monsters, spells or backgrounds?
How young are you talking about? I play with my kids and the youngest start was at age 9. I don't implement any special rules based upon age, but I do help with their inventory until they figure out how to keep track of it. I also tell them to focus on one new ability/combat action at a time until they figure out how it works before worrying about another one.

One thing I do suggest, though, is to have them start with the basic non-magical fighter. When they eventually reroll, let them choose something more complicated if you think they are ready for it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases