D&D 5E yes, this again: Fighters need more non-combat options

G

Guest 6801328

Please provide the quotes of people saying you aren't allowed to modify your games to what you prefer. Or did you mean you want an official change to the class based on your preferences? Because that would be pretty ironic, you complaining about how you feel like people are telling you that your preference isn't allowed, but demanding official changes to the game that would do the exact same thing you're complaining about to a bunch of other players

I'm mostly in agreement with you in this thread, but I think this particular argument is B.S. We are all discussing what we think our ideal game would look like. Any opinion about that could be criticized...if one really wanted to go that route...as trying to force one's preferences on other people.

Sacrosanct

Legend
I'm mostly in agreement with you in this thread, but I think this particular argument is B.S. We are all discussing what we think our ideal game would look like. Any opinion about that could be criticized...if one really wanted to go that route...as trying to force one's preferences on other people.

Well, I asked that question because Hussar said people wanted to take away the fixes he wanted, and when Imaro responded with how no one is and he's more than welcome to make whatever changes he wants, Hussar presented it like he didn't just want a fix at his table, he wanted it to be an official change to the class to meet what he wanted.

Thus my question. Because it seems like he doesn't just want to make houserules like everyone else does, but to make WoTC officially design and/or change classes to do what he wanted. Which of course is the irony part, because we all have different preferences, and we all should have parts of the game that make a nod to us. And if the game changes to be the way Hussar (and others) want, then all those other people are left out in the cold. I.e., doing the same thing to others that he's complaining is happening to him.

So to your point, it's not just talking about opinion, which I have no issues with. It's saying/demanding that WoTC makes that opinion the official product.

pogre

Legend
This is pretty minor, but I let PCs use Strength instead of Charisma for intimidation checks. Perhaps allowing a couple of other predominantly social skills to fall into the fighter's usual top attributes might help?

To follow-up on my previous post, years ago I did a comparison of the 5e classes looking for abilities absolutely unique to each class – my thinking was that these abilities would shine a light on the "high concept" for each class. Ideally, the narrative identity and the mechanics would embrace and be mutually reinforcing. Here's what I found...

1jsKh2I.png

While it's not strictly about number of unique features – for example, some features may contribute more to illuminating narrative identity than others – I do think that this analysis shines a light on (a) how strong a class's narrative/identity/concept is, and (b) how closely the mechanical features map to that narrative/identity/concept.

I'd say that analysis shouldn't be about number of features at all. It's just a list that doesn't take into account whether said features contribute to "narrative" or "concept" or whatever, or are even mechanically useful.

Like that same list has Rangers with 9 "unique" features, which is supposedly a good number, yet a lot of the Ranger's features on that list are straight trash that fail not only to be effective, but fail to express the intended narrative or concept of the class.

This list also, conveniently, leaves out subclasses. Some classes have more of their "narrative" or "concept" relegated to the subclasses, and I'd say the Fighter (and for that matter the Ranger) are definitely among those classes that do.

Last edited:

EDIT: I've noticed very few single-class fighters playing & DMing 5e, compared to other classes which I've seen many single-classed PCs. My hunch is this phenomenon has to do with many players wanting identity & a lens providing connection to the world to be part of their PC, and that they often look to the character classes to supply that. Not finding it in the Fighter, they then multi-class. Or, worse, they "dip" into Fighter for a mechanical benefit.

And I see single-class Fighters all the time when I play or DM. You can't use your own anecdotal evidence to make your point.

Sacrosanct

Legend
And I see single-class Fighters all the time when I play or DM. You can't use your own anecdotal evidence to make your point.

Yeah, same here. I think one of our players dipped into fighter as a warlock, but all of the rest were single class. Including my own fighters I've played. In fact, as I mentioned earlier, my multi-class f/t from 1e I converted into a single class fighter in 5e, so I'm seeing more single class PCs in 5e than in previous editions. Backgrounds and feats have a lot to do with that

Quickleaf

Legend

Hey Gladius, my point was it's own thing – the section of my post you omitted.

I later thought of my own experience and added that as an edit. It wasn't intended as "evidence", it was intended to follow-up on my prior (unquoted) observations and offer my own explanation for why I was witnessing few single-class fighters. Full stop.

I approach this whole topic as a discussion of sharing ideas, experiences, perspectives, and analyses. Not as an argument in which I'm trying to sway you to think as I do. And vice versa.

Quickleaf

Legend
I'd say that analysis shouldn't be about number of features at all. It's just a list that doesn't take into account whether said features contribute to "narrative" or "concept" or whatever, or are even mechanically useful.

Like that same list has Rangers with 9 "unique" features, which is supposedly a good number, yet a lot of the Ranger's features on that list are straight trash that fail not only to be effective, but fail to express the intended narrative or concept of the class.

This list also, conveniently, leaves out subclasses. Some classes have more of their "narrative" or "concept" relegated to the subclasses, and I'd say the Fighter (and for that matter the Ranger) are definitely among those classes that do.

Yes, "weighting" unique class features in terms of how successfully they express the intended narrative is a good idea. And further comparison of subclasses is also a good idea.

Unfortunately, I have limited time to devote to such endeavors these days, but I fully support including those points you make in the conversation about the Fighter class. If you'd be interested in tackling it, I'm happy to offer what help I can.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
But as far as I know, they haven't called out that the games are featless, which is what you are suggesting. As a matter of fact, the point about humans having more feats suggest that they are monitoring if characters have feats, which is a COMPLETELY different question and one that does not support that fighters can't take feats.

I'd say that the vast majority of my characters before their second ASI have no feats is true, yet I have never played in a featless game. I could take feats.

I’m not suggesting any such thing. I’m stating that most players don’t use feats.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
From another thread:

CleverNickName said:
What about mixing subclasses?

Say we let the Fighter also use some of the Rogue's subclasses...you know, add Mastermind, Scout, and Inquisitive to the list of subclasses available to the Fighter.
  • A Mastermind fighter would make for a very interesting and fun social character, sort of a pulp fiction "man of action."
  • Most of the Scout's features and abilities would lend themselves well to a lightly-armored, skirmisher-type fighter also (but Sudden Strike will need to be adjusted because sneak attack.)
  • An Inquisitive fighter would check all the boxes for Social and Exploration, too (but again, the 17th level ability would need to be adjusted because sneak attack.)

(shrug) Just throwing ideas at the wall, seeing if any stick.
If I could expand the idea even further: howsabout a Fighter with the Swashbuckler subclass (you would have to rewrite the second half of the Rakish Audacity feature)? Sounds like a lot of fun.

The ranger's Monster Slayer subclass would lend itself well to a certain style of fighter...possibly a bit "out there" for most campaigns, but I don't judge...

Last edited:

Remove ads