Robert Schwalb releases his version of Warlord

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

Robert Schwalb, who designed one of my favorite games (Shadow of the Demon Lord), with a version of one of my favorite classes? Sold.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
IDK I don't play online it kind of defeats the old hang around with friends, eat crap food and have a few beers aspect of D&D. If I do online gaming its things like Stellaris or Europa Universalis IV.
The actual gaming doesn't have to be online. I used the online sheet at a table with friends on my phone, it's basically just an option for a different kind of character sheet. Once you get used to the layout of the sheet it works really well and they provide a lot of options to customise the sheet as well. The print to PDF is also a lot better now if you want to generate a PC for a one shot. It comes out form fillable so you can make alterations as needed.

JPL

Adventurer
Y'know, although it's a completely redundant class, you would've thought since there's a screaming need for another Int-based class - and since Warlords are supposed to be master tacticians, maybe having some of its key abilities key off Int would've been, y'know, a no-brainer? But, nooo, we have yet another Cha-based class. Cause we need more of those.

Agreed, but I guess the psion / mystic will arrive someday and be Int-based.

I'd like to see some more builds where Intelligence is at least the smart place to put your second highest ability score. Smart fighters, smart rogues, smart warlocks . . .

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Never played 4e so never got into the warlord class, was there a 3e or 2e class it was built thematically off of or a new class for 4e. The class sounds fun so I’ll probably check it out for only $2.49.

Henry

Autoexreginated
The Editor of this game content is mad -- MAD, I tell you! :)

Thanks, Tom! (And Robert, Jay, Kara, et. al. of course.)

I've never felt the strong need for Warlord in my D&D play, but it does look like a pretty well put-together class, and looks like it follows the bard for inspiration (no pun intended) which is pretty sensible. Only problem I can see is that a party with a bard and a Warlord in it is going to be positively STACKED with bonuses to hit and damage. If GWM and Sharpshooter come on stage, that is going to be brutal.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Never played 4e so never got into the warlord class, was there a 3e or 2e class it was built thematically off of or a new class for 4e. The class sounds fun so I’ll probably check it out for only $2.49.

The only real antecedent for the 4e warlord was the 3.5 marshal (in the mostly ignored Miniatures Handbook), and some portions of the classes from the Book of Nine Swords (mostly those that used White Raven Manuevers).

Henry

Autoexreginated
The "re-buy books" part is silly, and has been explained extensively. It's not owned by WOTC, they cannot give you a discount for a book you bought from WOTC, they cannot be a company and give it away for free if you bought a book from WOTC, it's a separate service entirely from WOTC and in fact is covered by WOTC's minimum purchase price which they have zero control over.

As for making up your own class, they're adding new features all the time. Right now, you can make up and directly add your own sub-class. However, core classes are a fair bit more complicated than sub-classes, and that feature isn't there yet. I mean, you could probably klooge it with the other house rule tools if you really wanted to, but it's not for that quite yet. That said, it's WAY worth it in my opinion and does a huge number of things. Once you use it will the full functionality it currently has you won't want to ever not be able to use it.

Another good info source on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu9ZIFjJIX4

Cody from the "Taking 20" Youtube channel answered this same question in a pretty informative way - it's what I've been pointing people to every time I've seen this question ever since.

Remove ads

Remove ads