Yet another Ghostbusters movie

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Citizen Kane is still gathering dust on my shelves, waiting to be watched. But every time I try to put the DVD in, my eyes lean over to movies like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Terminator, and I choose to watch that instead.
Back to future and terminator. Other classic movies that stand the test of time. All of these movies I've seen multiple times. That doesn't mean citizen Kane isn't a great movie, just that it's one of those great movies that I'm probably never going to watch more than once.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Citizen Kane is still gathering dust on my shelves, waiting to be watched. But every time I try to put the DVD in, my eyes lean over to movies like Ghostbusters, Back to the Future, Terminator, and I choose to watch that instead.

And when Imaculata's Favorites becomes the gold standard for greatness in media, that's going to be telling for old Citizen Kane.

But, let us be clear - strict popularity (especially current popularity) has never been the sole, or even major, measure of literary quality of a work.

I expect few, if any, folks who post on EN World actively seek out and listen to Elvis Presley music any more. But anyone who denies that his work is "classic," fails to understand the history of the modern musical genres, or his impact on what came after.

To tell how classic Ghostbusters really is, we should probably look at how much impact it had on things that came after it - Would movies be the same today if Ghostbusters never existed? Did the Gostbusters style of movie basically end when Bill Murray and friends stopped making movies?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
And when Imaculata's Favorites becomes the gold standard for greatness in media, that's going to be telling for old Citizen Kane.

But, let us be clear - strict popularity (especially current popularity) has never been the sole, or even major, measure of literary quality of a work.

I expect few, if any, folks who post on EN World actively seek out and listen to Elvis Presley music any more. But anyone who denies that his work is "classic," fails to understand the history of the modern musical genres, or his impact on what came after.

To tell how classic Ghostbusters really is, we should probably look at how much impact it had on things that came after it - Would movies be the same today if Ghostbusters never existed? Did the Gostbusters style of movie basically end when Bill Murray and friends stopped making movies?

Here are some ideas:
https://www.rollingstone.com/movies...-gave-birth-to-the-modern-blockbuster-121570/
https://www.vox.com/2016/7/20/12204422/ghostbusters-political-movies
https://www.tor.com/2014/09/11/ghostbusting-lovecraft/

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There's no definition of a "classic" movie. Are E.T. or Jaws classic movies? To me, they are. I'm sure some think they're popular tripe. Roger Ebert considers them classics, and magazines like Entertainment Weekly list Pulp Fiction, Titanic, Jerry Maguire, and even When Harry Met Sally in that list. Ebert asks:

"What's your definition of "classic"? Record-breaking? Precedent-setting? Influential? Enduring? How soon can such a status be determined? (Films have to be at least 25 years old to qualify for the National Film Registry; acts don't become eligible for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame until 25 years after the release of their first record.) Are their films from the 1990s and 2000s that you would already consider worthy of classic status?"

I think it's clear that it's a subjective question. Ghostbusters? Sure. To me, it's a classic 80s movie. But then so is Top Gun ferchrissake!

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
My definition of Classic is movies that I like.

And using that criteria Ghostbusters qualifies as a Classic but Top Gun is not.

Zardnaar

Legend
In fairness, I don't think those are good examples. Both Jaws and E.T. would be on almost any reasonable list of great movies (depending on the cut off and number) and there isn't much question about the acting, plot, pacing, or visual vocabulary employed in those movies. In fact, E.T. especially is so influential from a visual perspective that it continues to be referenced to this day.

I mean, it's not like Spielberg is some random, Alan Smithee-level replacement director. He's not exactly a Ron Howard-type you bring in. Or, um, Ivan Reitman.*

It's perfectly fine. Cromulent. If someone wanted to talk about 80s movies, it would definitely be one of them! But, and I mean this in the nicest possible way:

1. It is more of a "It's Morning in America" campaign commercial than Top Gun, which is saying something. You don't have to go all Roland Barthes on it to see the political messaging, which is as unsubtle as a pangalactic gargle blaster.

2. It's perfectly problematic for an 80s movie. Sure, it's not super rape-y, like Revenge of the Nerds, but it's definitely uncomfortable (I mean, we all recognize that it's probably wrong for professors to sleep with coeds under false pretenses, right, even when they are all cool and stuff). And the whole pursuit of Dana ... that's wasn't charming, that was creepy as eff. Again, times change, but if you watch this movie with a younger generation, you have some 'splainin to do as to why Venkman is "funny charming" and not "creepy rapey."

3. The plotting is terrible, the cinematography is so-so. The reason the movie works (and it does!) is because of the chemistry and comedic chops of the main cast, and that's no small thing. Well, that and the omnipresent branding for a few years in the 80s.

The reason I discuss this in a thread about a reboot/remake is it's important to try to understand what is good about a movie if you want to remake it. If we all agree that the original cast isn't coming back (they aren't), then what is left? The name? The brand? Some comedy?

Because, to the studios, a remake is nothing more than trying to leverage nostalgia and an IP. And, in this case, maybe sell some toys and get the licensing going again. But when people say that the movie needs to be "true" to the original, I have to wonder what that really means.

(I would note that someone said it was the mixture of horror and comedy; while I disagree from a subjective standpoint, not finding it very scary, not even as scary as fellow 1984 movie Gremlins, I can at least get behind that as a good working theory and basis to make the next movie.)

EDIT- All that said, I completely agree with you that the debate about "classic" is just a disagreement over terms.

I don't think its to fair to judge 80's movies with social mores from 30+ years later. I have gone back and watched some older movies. Blazing Saddles was one of them and its so offensive now days but its still funny and even at the time it was satire.

I haven't seen Revenge of the Nerds lately but can't imagine it ageing well. Other movies I have watched recently are Blues Brothers (still great), Animal House (funny), Police Academy I, II, III (the 1st one is somewhat funny series has not aged well).

The other thing is context. Some of that stuff was so over the top at the time no one took it to seriously. I used to watch Married With Children with my mother, rewatched it couple of years ago with my wife and they loved it despite it being very very politically incorrect these days.

Even if you watch the classic British Comedies now (Blackadder, Bottom, Young Ones, The New Statesmen, Red Dwarf) you're gonna get gay jokes etc which was pop culture in the 80's. The PC 80's shows rewatched now are terrible as they are usually anti drugs being a common theme but they're boring as and to moralising (drugs are bad m'kay). Its like early South Park its so over the top offensive its social satire. A clever (if offensive) comedy is basically there to make you think about things.

Those shows and movies were basically a product of their time.

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I'm not sure if I agree.

I'd argue that those afore mentioned things were always wrong, regardless of the changing social mores.

Here's the simple question to ask - did women of the time *enjoy* being treated like that? If not, it wasn't okay.

Hint: No, they didn't enjoy it at the time.

Remove ads