Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Zardnaar

Legend
We don’t know. They’ve given almost zero backstory to anyone.
(Heck, the one alien we got backstory—Saru—has their nature retconned.)

That fact you can’t even recall their name is kinda informative for how much attention thye’ve been given.

I'm crap with names in general though. I struggle with doctor whatshisname in DS9.

Hussar

Legend
It’s cute that you think Discovery cares about canon like that...

People keep talking about how Disco jettisons canon, but, frankly, I don't see it. I mean, the Klingons are rolling back to the Klingons we know from TNG (not, it should be said, TOS). Very little of Disco actually directly contradicts canon in any way that can't be explained. Well, presuming by the end of the series we get a reason why the Spore Drive doesn't work. And, let's be honest, considering what we've seen of spore drive, that shouldn't be too hard.

We don’t know. They’ve given almost zero backstory to anyone.
(Heck, the one alien we got backstory—Saru—has their nature retconned.)

That fact you can’t even recall their name is kinda informative for how much attention thye’ve been given.

How was Saru retconned?

People keep talking about how Disco jettisons canon, but, frankly, I don't see it. I mean, the Klingons are rolling back to the Klingons we know from TNG (not, it should be said, TOS). Very little of Disco actually directly contradicts canon in any way that can't be explained. Well, presuming by the end of the series we get a reason why the Spore Drive doesn't work. And, let's be honest, considering what we've seen of spore drive, that shouldn't be too hard.
The key phrase there being “that can’t be explained”.
Yeah, you can fan wank an explanation for most of the changes. That doesn’t mean they’re not changes. The fact that we have to explain it ourselves because they can’t be bothered is an issue and example of them not caring.

Heck, even something as firm as “first android in Starfleet” can be justified. “Oh, that mean first androids creased by a Federation member, not non-members” or “Data was the first android created by humans” or “she’s more of a robot than an android”.
But the fact remains is they’re just making stuff up as they go along and leaving it for the fans to fit it into continuity rather than trying t make it work.

How was Saru retconned?
His “one interesting thing” was that he belonged to a prey species that could sense death. That was unique: we’d never seen that before. Then they replaced that aspect of the character and forgot to add anything new. Now he’s a predator, like half the intelligent species we’ve seen...

Which just makes the life cycle of his species weird. They’re wolves, who don’t actually become predators until middle age and are dependant on the rest of the pack for that time.

But the fact remains is they’re just making stuff up as they go along and leaving it for the fans to fit it into continuity rather than trying t make it work.
It seems to me that at this point, the fans are making stuff up that they than try to fit continuity trying to make it work.

In the show, Airiam 's nature has not been discussed, and specifically, no one has called her an Android.

Last year the statements by writers was she's a cyborg, but that has also not made it to the screen, so it could have been changed. (Last year, they also said we wouldn't meet Spock, so you defintiely can't take anything for granted that wasn't explicitely stated on screen - plans can change.)

Anyway, at this point, people are of course free to find a way to fit an Android in Starfleet in the 23rd century into the continuity, but ... they don't have to, because we don't know what Airiam is yet. For the same reason, it's premature to get angry about Discovery putting an Android into 23rd century Starfleet.

Sadras

Legend
True but a lot of Trekkies don't like it.

I find I'm also pretty critical of the show when taking each episode in isolation, but re-watching the episodes back-to-back, one tends to be a lot more forgiving, at least that is my experience.

Interestingly enough I'm also rewatching DS9 and enjoying that too.

EDIT: This thread title :lol:

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
Y'know [MENTION=6688277]Sadras[/MENTION], I had the same experience. DS9 really does improve on rewatch (although I still think the show went very, very downhill after Terry Farrell left the show. The whole last season was a grind for me, both the first and second times through.

But, yeah, Disco does seem to hold together much better when you watch it like a regular streaming show - two or three episodes back to back.

Remove ads