Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

MarkB

Legend
Still haven’t gotten back in. But heard about the finale.
So... the Discovery is 900 years in the future?

Do you think they’ll get background their “present”?
Or do you think it’s an excuse to move the series to an undetailed era so they no longer need to worry about canon?

The new Discovery season will be set in the far future - but that doesn't mean nobody from the show will return to the current timeline. Michelle Yeoh is going to be in the Section 31 series, and her character went into the future with Discovery.

Probably. After watching the finale, I got my hopes up it was the series finale, but alas, it is only the season's. I expect next season (and probably any after that) will remain in the future so as to not constrain the writers.

Probably for a bit.
It's frustrating that they're doing a Star Trek series but seem wholly uninterested in actually making it a Star Trek series.

It feels like advertising a television show as a World War 2 series and then redesigning all the Allied Forces and German uniforms, completely changing the design of tanks and planes, giving the Japanese U-boats. And then having the show focused around a squad that has built a stealth bomber.

The weird thing is 900 years is a ridiculous length of time. 200 or 300 years would have been enough. That's like someone from 1119 coming to the modern world. Simple things should be magic.
Especially with the way technology advances. Really, 250 years from now should look very different than Star Trek. 1000 years is almost beyond imagining.

MarkB

Legend
The weird thing is 900 years is a ridiculous length of time. 200 or 300 years would have been enough. That's like someone from 1119 coming to the modern world. Simple things should be magic.
Especially with the way technology advances. Really, 250 years from now should look very different than Star Trek. 1000 years is almost beyond imagining.

I do find that a concern. It should make things so different as to render the characters entirely irrelevant.

The only ways I could see it working are either if it takes place at such a far remove as to not involve any of the current races - we're talking about a different galaxy there, for practical purposes - or for there to have been some massive collapse of civilisation from which the galaxy is only just recovering. Both approaches would pose serious issues - the first would make it effectively a different setting, with no familiar cultures or races, while the second would mean visiting an apocalypse upon the setting, which would alienate a larger portion of the audience.

Ryujin

Legend
Probably for a bit.
It's frustrating that they're doing a Star Trek series but seem wholly uninterested in actually making it a Star Trek series.

It feels like advertising a television show as a World War 2 series and then redesigning all the Allied Forces and German uniforms, completely changing the design of tanks and planes, giving the Japanese U-boats. And then having the show focused around a squad that has built a stealth bomber.

From the beginning this has been an exercise in leveraging a brand, rather than continuing a legacy.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Just popped in after a few months ... man, this thread. A bunch of people hatewatching a TV show they don't like and making sure everybody knows it. It's the most depressing thing I ever saw. God, why flagellate yourselves like this?

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't hate it but have fallen 3 or 4 episode s behind due to DS9 binge watch. It started off alright and has a few decent to good episodes.

There's not much else on ATM in sci fi genre. Humans, The Expanse, Altered Carbon are between seasons and are better shows. Average sci fi is still better than no sci fi. STD is a bit hard to watch sometimes and my wife likes DS9 more as well so we watch that.

Last 4 episodes though so we'll catch up on this and some other shows.

STD doesn't compare very well to the good new sci fi shows or 90s trek, Babylon 5, Farscape, Stargate SG1 etc.

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
Just popped in after a few months ... man, this thread. A bunch of people hatewatching a TV show they don't like and making sure everybody knows it. It's the most depressing thing I ever saw. God, why flagellate yourselves like this?

Wasn't the whole point of the (+) and (-) thread designations to specifically stop posts like this? Nice personal attack on everyone participating. :-/

Richards

Legend
A few months? You posted in this thread five days ago.

I personally have no stakes in this thread - I don't watch the show, mostly because I refuse to pay a TV network for "special content" they refuse to air on their regular network (it seems like a bad precedent to set) - but it seems like allowing those who want to vent about this show here in this thread at least keeps it localized. Didn't you build a "positive comments only" thread about the show, specifically to keep the complaints here and not there? So why not let them vent here, where you should be able to safely ignore them?

Johnathan

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases