Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Hussar

Legend
So, The Search For Spock is over, but Spock's Brain still has some assembly required. And now they're going to Talos IV, some time in advance of the Enterprise's scheduled first visit.

Not much else stood out for me about this episode. Time anomaly was timey-wimey, Section 31 was gratuitously evil, pretty standard stuff.

I agree with this. Although it does move the plot forward nicely.

I do think that the whole Section 31 is "the evils" is a bit lazy. The fact that the captain was lying about the memory extractor was unnecessary. Why can't we stick with morally ambiguous without going full on mustache twirling evil? Sigh.

Vulcan was gorgeous. I wish we could spend more time there.

So, The Search For Spock is over, but Spock's Brain still has some assembly required. And now they're going to Talos IV, some time in advance of the Enterprise's scheduled first visit.
No, the first visit of the Enterprise has already happened. Discovery plays after The Cage, but before the events The Menagerie.
My guess would be that the "some assembly required" might be conducted by the Talosians, but it could be that they are actually involved in the Red Angel stuff. We'll see.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
That was one of the theories mentioned on SYFY, talosians being involved. How folks got to that point before Talos IV was mentioned, I'm not sure. This episode is the first time they mention Talos IV, right?

MarkB

Legend
Vulcan was gorgeous. I wish we could spend more time there.

No, the first visit of the Enterprise has already happened. Discovery plays after The Cage, but before the events The Menagerie.

Really? I don't recall that having been referenced in the show. If it's the case, shouldn't the shuttle have flared up massive "Destination Prohibited On Pain Of Death!!!" warnings the moment Burnham tried to lay in a course?

Really? I don't recall that having been referenced in the show.
No one so far has reason to mention events of The Cage. It's just one of many missions the Enterprise under Pike went on.

If it's the case, shouldn't the shuttle have flared up massive "Destination Prohibited On Pain Of Death!!!" warnings the moment Burnham tried to lay in a course?
That depends on when exactly the prohibition was instituted. It seems it wasn't mentioned in the Cage that the planet would be off-limits now. There isn't really a good reason at the end of The Cage, and the travel ban to Talos IV only seems to exist to create some dramatic stakes in Menagerie. We might actually learn this season why it became off-limits, since the events of The Cage seem to give no good reason for it. The situation is resolved, the aliens and humans had an understanding, and everyone went on their merry way.

Talos, so we meet again. Very neat to provide them of the "Previously on Star Trek" segment, highlighting the events of The Cage.

Ethan Peck is doing a good job with Spock, IMO. The scene revisiting the conflict beteen young Burnham and young Spock was also well done.
I am really worried about Culber. I wonder if he really had a catharsis moment in his conflict with Tyler. But interesting, turning back from the dead is rarely so hard in Star Trek. :)

Hussar

Legend
This episode was AWESOME. Great stuff. They are certainly winning a lot of goodwill and faith from me this season.

Nice that my predictions came true - wobbly first season with season 2 hitting the stride and off to the races.

Only thing I'd like to see is a couple of one off planet exploration episodes. But, with such a short season, I doubt we'll get that.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
They seem to have forgotten.

To seek out new life, new civilization. To boldly go where no Burnham has gone before.

Zardnaar

Legend
This episode was AWESOME. Great stuff. They are certainly winning a lot of goodwill and faith from me this season.

Nice that my predictions came true - wobbly first season with season 2 hitting the stride and off to the races.

Only thing I'd like to see is a couple of one off planet exploration episodes. But, with such a short season, I doubt we'll get that.

It's one of the better episodes. Watching DS9, and are at the point its all new to me.

STD is more about Burnham, DS9 is more ensemble. Not a trekkie but DS9 seems to have better characters, STD the villains and dark characters seem more interesting. STD is getting better but I wouldn't call it great maybe not even good. And then there's The Orville.

Remove ads