Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Janx

Hero
Yeah. It strikes me every week. You can see every penny of the budget. The set design alone is incredible.

Yep. One thing I noticed was the super-retracty helmets. Aside from they didn't have those in Wrath of Khan, I recall the super-lame half-rollback helments in Stargate SG-1 because they couldn't afford the FX that the movie had. Now, 20 years later, there it is on Discovery.

Yep. One thing I noticed was the super-retracty helmets. Aside from they didn't have those in Wrath of Khan, I recall the super-lame half-rollback helments in Stargate SG-1 because they couldn't afford the FX that the movie had. Now, 20 years later, there it is on Discovery.

It seems that is now the new future-tech sci-fi standard, though. Marvel uses it a lot, too. Detachable helmets are obsolete.

Sadras

Legend
[MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] makes some pretty decent points, but personally I'm ok with montage-like input about characters.
I'm just a little tired of the focus on Burnham and her angst, frustration and anger, although this episode worked well with Spock countering her drama.

Loving Pike as well as his interchange with Saru about the mess hall fight and the crew's immediate support for him to go rogue.

[MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] makes some pretty decent points, but personally I'm ok with montage-like input about characters.
I'm just a little tired of the focus on Burnham and her angst, frustration and anger, although this episode worked well with Spock countering her drama.

Loving Pike as well as his interchange with Saru about the mess hall fight and the crew's immediate support for him to go rogue.

Burnham is pretty unlikable. I don't think the writers know what to do with her. It doesn't help that she's meant to be logical, cold, and a genius after having been raised by Vulcans but because of the needs of the story she keeps making incredibly stupid and emotional decisions again and again.
Another instance happened last episode where Burnham was risking everything to spare Ariam. Including ignoring a direct freakin' order. When being able to sacrifice a crewmember and order one to their death is a prerequisite of graduating from the Starfleet command program: if you try to save everyone all the time, you will end up killing everyone and losing the ship.
She's a terrible Starfleet officer.

The writers in general seem incapable of writing the Roddenberry/TNG "friendly professionals" dialogue, and continually have everyone yell and snap at each other. They're regularly acting in ways I couldn't get away with to coworkers or my boss, let alone a superior officer in a military setting. It was particularly obvious when Pike was snapping at the admiral in front of the entire bridge crew. (In TNG that would have been a one-on-one scene in the Ready Room preceded by Picard asking "permission to speak freely, Admiral?")
Which feels like the sole reason Spock is so emotional: because they couldn't make the character work as an emotionless Vulcan based on how they write dialogue and plan interactions with the crew.

Ryujin

Legend
For the people who are still watching Discovery: Would you say that they are stepping back from their original "darker, edgier" mission statement prior to season 1 and going back to what might be termed more traditional Star Trek?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
For the people who are still watching Discovery: Would you say that they are stepping back from their original "darker, edgier" mission statement prior to season 1 and going back to what might be termed more traditional Star Trek?

I don't know what "traditional Star Trek" is? every show has bene very different. I love Discovery, and my favourite Star Trek is the TOS movies II-IV trilogy, if that helps. The main problem with the show is avoiding the hatewatchers.

Ryujin

Legend
I don't know what "traditional Star Trek" is? every show has bene very different. I love Discovery, and my favourite Star Trek is the TOS movies II-IV trilogy, if that helps. The main problem with the show is avoiding the hatewatchers.

Presumably not something "dark and edgy" that they were pushing so hard prior to its release?

Hussar

Legend
Y'know, sometimes it's an advantage being so far away from all the hype machine. I saw virtually no promotional material for Star Trek. Heck, I see very little promotional material for nearly anything unless I go looking for it. Means I get to judge things based on my own views.

Nearly all the criticisms that [MENTION=37579]Jester David[/MENTION] brings up really don't bother me. I don't judge shows based on other shows. I don't want a retread Star Trek that's the same as the previous Star Treks. I don't. The writers just can't win. Do something new and the haters come out of the woodwork claiming they're disrespecting tradition. Stay the path and they get hammered for being unoriginal and boring.

Why watch something you don't like? Good grief, there are THOUSANDS of shows on. You have to actually PAY to watch this. What kind of masochist watches something they don't like just to then go and bitch to all and sundry about how they don't like it?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases