Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
True but a lot of Trekkies don't like it.

And a lot do. But who cares?

We can only talk for ourselves about what we enjoy, and I have to admit that I really struggle with your remorseless negativity. Can’t we just talk about the cool stuff we like, rather than constantly tearing stuff down? We’re 120 posts into the thread. We must be past the ”STD boo!” stage by now.

Zardnaar

Legend
And a lot do. But who cares?

We can only talk for ourselves about what we enjoy, and I have to admit that I really struggle with your remorseless negativity. Can’t we just talk about the cool stuff we like, rather than constantly tearing stuff down?

It's more interesting to complain online:). Mostly happy with 5E or whatever doesn't leave much room for discussion. Also context of the thread title. Season 1 fair enough season 2 is improving.

I may also be a cynical pessimistic reactionary:).

Hussar

Legend
True but a lot of Trekkies don't like it.

We used to watch Gotham but wife pulled the plug on it season 3 or 4. I understand it got better with Dominic portraying the Joker. We liked his character in Shameless.

Define "a lot".

We're only halfway through the season and they've already greenlit season 3. Must be doing okay.

Hussar

Legend
Never claimed it was gonna be canceled.

No, but, you are claiming that it isn't very good.

If it wasn't very good and a lot of trekkies don't like it, then why is it getting renewed this early? Seems like a pretty big risk for something so expensive to produce if it's not doing very well, nobody is watching it and everyone is switching to the Orville or The (recently cancelled) Expanse.

I'm leaning a lot harder on the idea that it's a bunch of butthurt comic book guy fans who have nothing to do than produce 49 minute Youtube videos of how much Disco sucks.

Zardnaar

Legend

If it wasn't very good and a lot of trekkies don't like it, then why is it getting renewed this early? Seems like a pretty big risk for something so expensive to produce if it's not doing very well, nobody is watching it and everyone is switching to the Orville or The (recently cancelled) Expanse.

I'm leaning a lot harder on the idea that it's a bunch of butthurt comic book guy fans who have nothing to do than produce 49 minute Youtube videos of how much Disco sucks.

IDK I'm not a comic books guy, only own a few Star Wars ones.

I said season one wasn't very good, season 2 is better.

BTW Expanse is coming back.

Yes, we haven't really seen a whole lot of "cyborg" stuff in Star Trek. About the only character that comes to mind with any sort of prosthetic is Geordie from TNG and his visor. Data was full on android and not human at all.

It is a missing element really. They explain why genetic manipulation isn't a thing (Eugenics War - Khan) but, they've never really delved into why no one in Star Fleet is sporting any technological enhancements.
They can also regrow organs. Like we saw in the episode Worf was paralyzied. And Nog’s artificial leg.

Because only good shows get reviewed?

(Plus, several years of Voyager and Enterprise demonstrate Trek fans will watch shows even if they think they’re bad.)

I do rather hope she is a cyborg of some sort. Data as the first "android" in Star Fleet is a rather established bit of canon. Although, to be fair, TOS had all sorts of advanced androids that certainly could have been considered sentient.

Maybe this is why you don't have cyborgs in later Star Treks - the chance of being "hacked" is considered a security risk?
It’s cute that you think Discovery cares about canon like that...

The blue and grey skinned lady is she a robot, cyborg or some Alien species I'm not familiar with.
We don’t know. They’ve given almost zero backstory to anyone.
(Heck, the one alien we got backstory—Saru—has their nature retconned.)

That fact you can’t even recall their name is kinda informative for how much attention thye’ve been given.

Remove ads