Star Trek Discovery not getting any better I fear.

Hussar

Legend
Heh. Now that's fair. :D Really strong nanites? :D Never mind how he got onto the chair, where did the chair come from? It wasn't there when he went into the room.

Hussar

Legend
Nanites built it. Replicators anyone?

Yeah, that's not really going to work. It's not like they have replicators in the middle of the room. :D

I gotta admit, I tend to gloss over stuff like this, mostly because it's Star Trek and if I wanted attention to detail, I would watch Star Trek. I'd be rewatching The Expanse instead. OTOH, it is a point. The needle in the retina scanner I can kinda see - after all Control had a hand in building Section 31's ships, I would assume, or at least could get it's fingers into the pie, so, I could see it adding all sorts of secret booby traps like that.

And, since Control is time traveling too, it's pretty hard to claim what Control can and cannot do. After all, at the same time it was taking over Aririam, who knows what else it was doing. One of the convenient things about time travel is you can be really inconsistent. Just look at Doctor Who.

But, the "twenty year old suit" was specifically stated to have "quantum" memory which was virtually limitless, for some reason, so, it does make sense that you could store the Sphere data on the suit. Maybe you cannot partition the data? Sure, it has to be sent from one to the other, but, maybe it has to all be sent as once giant file? That's a stretch.

Kaodi

Hero
I like watching this show and it appears and feels good but at the same time the show is kinda garbage because time travel is garbage and it just does not make any sense to me that twenty five years before TOS a tiny subset of Starfleet created a piece of tech VASTLY more powerful than most of the things in ANY ST series and merely the size of a small exosuit. Like, Temporal Starfleet is supposed to be some 29th Century :):):):), right? But unlike with the Spore Drive, there is absolutely no supporting information or storyline about why it works. Like, how is a Time Crystal formed? How do you "mine" it? How does it allow space travel possibly faster than warp 10 and dampen that inertia? How does the suit provide sustenance to the wearer? How is all of this tech so miniaturized?

MarkB

Legend
I like watching this show and it appears and feels good but at the same time the show is kinda garbage because time travel is garbage and it just does not make any sense to me that twenty five years before TOS a tiny subset of Starfleet created a piece of tech VASTLY more powerful than most of the things in ANY ST series and merely the size of a small exosuit. Like, Temporal Starfleet is supposed to be some 29th Century :):):):), right? But unlike with the Spore Drive, there is absolutely no supporting information or storyline about why it works. Like, how is a Time Crystal formed? How do you "mine" it? How does it allow space travel possibly faster than warp 10 and dampen that inertia? How does the suit provide sustenance to the wearer? How is all of this tech so miniaturized?
One thing to bear in mind is that the first thing the suit did was travel into the far future. A lot of its other functions may have been added later, based upon technologies that Dr Burnham found there.

Derren

Hero
The plot holes continue.
Why exactly are they still trying to send the data into the future? If they cant delete the data from the Discovery, for whatever reason because last episode that was apparently possible, then they would lose the ship either way and if they can transfer the data into something else, why not destroy whatever it is transferred into? Why still plan to send the data into the future? And why not jump to the Enterprise or to Earth/other Federation planet instead of doing what they plan to do while in Klingon space (not that it will work)?

But at least it looks like that the information that Burnham is the Red Angel will prove correct, because with time travel back in the game and how Burnham is in the centre of everything she time travelling and causing the signals will probably be how the season will end.

The saddest thing is, they really seem to go for the Borg origin story as a big effect to distract from their terrible writing.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases