A New D&D Book in 2019: Acquisitions Incorporated Dungeon Manual!

Penny Arcade is Releasing an Officially Liscensed Third Party D&D Book Apparently, Penny Arcade is releasing a fully licensed book about Acquisitions, Inc. https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/01/18/dungeons-and-dragons-penny-arcade-acquisitions-inc-dungeon-manual/

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Um, ok. So please explain how you even play D&D.
You know, since all of this bubbled out of the original home games of Gygax/Arneson/etc.

I guess I see a margin between using cities/events/lands created by the authors of published setting and using the characters they added to the canon of said setting. I play in FR, but I'll never use Drizzt or Elminster in my games, for example. Or when I play in Exandria, the characters from CR are long gone, or maybe are just kids stories and old man tales.

Tales and Chronicles

I don't think Drizzt was originally a player character - he was created (as a sidekick) for the Crystal Shard novel.

Maybe. But you see the idea right?

Its not about setting purity, its more about being sure my players are the ones who influence the most the FR we're ''co-creating''.

Maybe. But you see the idea right?

Its not about setting purity, its more about being sure my players are the ones who influence the most the FR we're ''co-creating''.

I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to do it. Forgotten Realms does have a bit of a tradition of "celebrity heroes" showing up, especially in novels and CRPGs, and a number of the characters mentioned in more recent publications have been player characters, such as Dragonbait in ToA. And to be honest, I suspect far more NPCs than you imagine in published adventures have been someone's character at some point.

Tales and Chronicles

I don't think there is a right way or a wrong way to do it. Forgotten Realms does have a bit of a tradition of "celebrity heroes" showing up, especially in novels and CRPGs, and a number of the characters mentioned in more recent publications have been player characters, such as Dragonbait in ToA. And to be honest, I suspect far more NPCs than you imagine in published adventures have been someone's character at some point.

Oh, I'm sure you're right. Luckily, FR's lore is so dense and I'm not that old (Turning 29 today) so I dont know most of them. If I dont dig too deep, I wont be able to know if a character was a celebrity cameo at first or the main of a novel. Ignorance is bliss and all that.

Still, for some time now, I've add the secret wish to create my own setting. Sadly, my players dont care much for setting building and I feel I cant do ''better'' than FRs.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
Happy birthday Vince!

I’ve used the villains from FR as the antagonist (especially the old 2e heroes and villains lore books) but tend to only have then interact with heroes like Elmister, Khelben, or Piergerion as a quest giver figurehead and that very rarely. You don’t have to use Acq Inc as a name from the upcoming book but if it helps you and your players with how to set up a adventuring business like it, you’ll get some use out of the book without worrying about canon. :)

Tales and Chronicles

Happy birthday Vince!

I’ve used the villains from FR as the antagonist (especially the old 2e heroes and villains lore books) but tend to only have then interact with heroes like Elmister, Khelben, or Piergerion as a quest giver figurehead and that very rarely. You don’t have to use Acq Inc as a name from the upcoming book but if it helps you and your players with how to set up a adventuring business like it, you’ll get some use out of the book without worrying about canon. :)

1) Thank you a lot

2) I'll wait for the critic after release, but if its like GGtR, I'll probably get it. I feel like most settings (FR in particular) could benefit of having better rules for Faction/guilds/Big Corp for players to join. I stated converting the major factions of the Sword Coast to the model of Ravnica's guild membership but then stopped until I decide if I want to create a setting from scratch first. Ravnica in itself looks fun, but I wanted to run some published adventures in it and most of them doesnt fit right with the setting.

maceo

Explorer
Jared Blando (who did maps for Hoard, Rise of Tiamat, Out of the Abyss, Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, Volo's Guide to Monsters, and a bunch of maps for Storm King's Thunder) tweeted that he is doing maps for this book as well. He also said that he "just finished a large poster size map for one of Wizards new unreleased books too!"

There’s some great freelancer names associated with this. Tentatively excited.
I’d like to more of the content before ordering. Like... any of the content. But whatever the book is about or includes is bound to be high quality.

darjr

I crit!
Yea, I do wish they'd publicly release more of the content. Follow Shawn Merwin's twitter, he's starting to talk about it!

Remove ads

Remove ads