DD5 damage

saerdryl

First Post
Hi,
When I read some spells like stonskin or some monsters, I can read a resistance to non magical damage for bludgeoning, slashing...
But if a warrior use a 1 hand sword +2 of fire (1d6), what type of damage does the sword ,?
1D8 slashing non magical?? + 2 magical + 1D6 fire magical or not ????
Thx for u reply

Sadras

Legend
Hi,
When I read some spells like stonskin or some monsters, I can read a resistance to non magical damage for bludgeoning, slashing...
But if a warrior use a 1 hand sword +2 of fire (1d6), what type of damage does the sword ,?
1D8 slashing non magical?? + 2 magical + 1D6 fire magical or not ????
Thx for u reply

If the sword is enchanted (= magical weapon), the damage dealt by it is considered magical, the 1d8 slashing and the +2 bonus, however special damage (such as elemental, necrotic, poison..etc) does not fall under the magic damage banner but its own.

i.e. Some beings might have resistance to non magical weapons but will be affected by fire damage and other beings might have resistance to non magical weapons but will have immunity to fire damage. The above two will be treated differently because the fire damage is considered separate to the magical damage (slashing) done by the sword, even though the fire is created via magic in the in-game fiction.

So go forth and slay evil beasties with confidence that they will be hurt on a successful hit. ;)

EDITED: Corrected by [MENTION=83242]dave2008[/MENTION]

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
If the sword is magical (+1 or otherwise) all the slashing damage is magical. In your example: 1d6 +2 slashing damage plus 1d6 fire damage; the 1d6 +2 (+ ability mod) is considered magical and the 1d6 is fire damage (there is no "magical" fire damage, it is just fire damage).

dave2008

Legend
If the sword is enchanted ALL damage dealt by it is considered magical, the d8 slashing, the +2 bonus as well as the 1d6 fire.

So go forth and slay evil beasties with confidence that they will be hurt on a successful hit. ;)

I disagree, the fire damage is just fire damage. It may be produced by fire, but 5e does not distinguish between "magical" fire damage and fire damage.

For example: a balor has resistance to non-magical damage (b,p, & s) and immunity to fire. The weapon in the OP would inflict all of its slashing damage, but non of its fire damage on the balor. They are separate things.

Sadras

Legend
I disagree, the fire damage is just fire damage. It may be produced by fire, but 5e does not distinguish between "magical" fire damage and fire damage.

For example: a balor has resistance to non-magical damage (b,p, & s) and immunity to fire. The weapon in the OP would inflict all of its slashing damage, but non of its fire damage on the balor. They are separate things.

You're right!
Will EDIT above post to concur.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases