Used to be companies loved free publicity. Not Velcro.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That's awesome! Funny, too.

It's actually the best (and most humorous!) description of an issue that most people don't understand- how trademarks can get lost because they become too ... popular. That's why you can get those humorless IP attorneys sending cease & desist letters; if you don't protect your brand, you can end up like an escalator ... sorry, motorized stairs.

Given that somebody pops that factoid into 100% of internet threads that even vaguely hint at IP topics, I’d be amazed if there was even a small dog in China not aware of that. :)

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Yes, free advertising is great, but only up to a point. Then you become a victim of your own success, trademark-wise.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well, it's an interesting thing. I call it the "stoner fallacy."*

You know, if you smoke pot in high school (or whatever), you think that EVERYONE does.

OTOH, if you don't smoke pot, you don't think many people do.

It's the same here. As much as you might think "people" might know something .... well, the number of people that (a) communicate in internet threads (beyond facebook, or raging in youtube comments), and (b) communicate in intelligent internet threads, and (c) those intelligent internet threads happen to touch on IP ... is vanishingly small.

It's just VERY OVER REPRESENTED by the people here. ;)

*Yeah, that's not the name of this cognitive bias. But this is much more fun!

You know I didn't actually mean that bit about small dogs in China, right? :)

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls
You know I didn't actually mean that bit about small dogs in China, right? :)

Yeah, but case in point, while I have known of this copyright fact prior to this video and thread. I had not realized there was an abundance of people posting it in comments.

Usually it is people saying something is funny or awesome, then people refuting that, and then those two groups having a knock-down drag-out fight about it.

...Maybe I'm in the wrong parts of the internet.

If companies don't like their name dropped so casually, they should no be lazy in their advertising, labelling, brand insertion into scripts, and stick to product placement.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It's kinda funny, and I guess that makes it a good ad for their brand, but it won't change anything.

Remove ads