A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
The two of you are just making this up. I"ve quoted the rule. The rule says nothing about when a check is or isn't required: it explains how to adjudicate a check if one is made. Obviously if a player already knows, s/he won't seek to make the check; and there is nothing in the rule that suggests the GM is to use checks to gate players' use of their knowledge.

And you are just making that up. There's no rule that says the players can use the knowledge that they have as players to avoid a check. That's a fiction you are perpetrating here.

This is incoherent. If you've deciding that your PC doesn't know about trolls, although you already do know about trolls, you're not discovering anything. Deciding isn't discoverying.

That should have been, "My character might not..." The rolls, background or other ideas might or might not reveal that he does have the knowledge. I have to discover that.

How does this even work? Do you just let your PC be killed by the trolls?

Or I escape. Or I discover the weakness through other means. If I didn't know about trolls and encountered one, I'd beat it down into the negatives and then run my rear off to get away before it gets back up. No need for my PC to die. Then I would research how to kill them and go back for revenge, or at least be able to kill the next ones I come across. So how it works is quite well, thank you/

This doesn't answer [MENTION=6972053]Numidius[/MENTION]'s question: what do you expect good play to look like in this sort of case.

It does answer it. I expect it to not contain metagaming. That's very evident from my response.

darkbard

Legend
I always. 100% of the time. Discuss in good faith with people who do the same for me. You wouldn't know that, though, since you've decided to take that one comment I made in that old thread out of context.

No, Max. I believed that about you before that post. It only confirmed it.

darkbard

Legend
How does confirming that I treat people like they treat me(what I said in that post) equate to not discussing in good faith?

As I said in my initial post (last year): you *infer* that others are twisting words, so you deliberately twist words. I have no patience for nonsense like that. Participate in good faith, or don't participate at all.

Last edited:

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
He didn't say it was exactly like the Legend Lore ability. He was saying that it is similar enough to still be in the "wheelhouse" of classic D&D, and it is. They are similar enough.

[MENTION=16814]Ovinomancer[/MENTION] was also incorrect in his statement about the Bard ability Legend Lore/Bardic Knowledge. If a Bard in 3.5 used his Bardic knowledge to find out about an important place, it's purpose wasn't get at DM secrets. The DM probably doesn't even have secrets about most of the important places, items and people that the Bard could use the ability on. In all likelihood, the DM will have to make up something relevant and useful about that important thing, just like he describes Spout Lore as doing. The big(little) difference is that in D&D, the DM might have something written down ahead of time that is relevant and useful to tell the bard, so sometimes he won't have to improv it.
No, I wasn't. That's the "success" state that I mentioned, you know, where I said they're the same outcome? You have to read my posts, Max. They're actually a bit more detailed that you want them to be in your quick characterizations. However, it's worth nothing that a sufficient GM answer to a Bardic Knowledge check is "nothing special." This is never a proper response to Spout Lore. If the player asks and succeeds, then the location is important by default. You elide this a bit by establishing that the location is important in your example, but that's not always the case when Bardic Knowledge is used in 3.5.

Further, the different in fail states is massive, and that was the crux of my point.

He wasn't talking about the spell. He was talking about the Bard's knowledge class ability.
Well, Legend Lore is a spell, If it was the Bardic Knowledge class ability, then my answer is even more apt because the spell has no failure state if the target is actually legendary.

You mean much like you, @Ovinomance, [MENTION=42582]pemerton[/MENTION] and others continually misrepresent/misunderstand our playstyle? Calling it "Mother May I", "Railroading" and more, just because it's a DM facing style? I get what you mean.
Dude. I'm running a 5e game right now. I'm on record saying 5e fights against a non-GM centered play, so I'm running a GM centered game. I like running 5e, it scratches certain itches very well, and my players enjoy it.

If you'd bother to read my posts, I've specifically called out MMI as degenerate play -- ie, what happens if you use the tools poorly. GM centered play requires saying no, and telling players what's in your notes, and the other things -- in moderation. Take any of those to extremes and you end up with MMI, or Railroading (which requires MMI). Do them in moderation and with principled play and you don't. I really don't know how many times I have to say this to get it through to you.

In non-GM centered play, degenerate play is Czerge principle (the players proposing both the problem and the solution), and squibing (the GM not making hard moves, just continuing soft ones). Both of these lead to bad play. This play also requires the players to bring as much of the game as the GM, so there's multiple points where the game can stumble. Neither style is better, they're just different. One can be better for you, though, and that's good for each person.

Ovinomancer

No flips for you!
There are people here I would make that effort for. You are not one of them, as you have repeatedly shown me that you are not interested in discussing things with me in good faith. You asked me to explain realism to you for the 6th or 7th time earlier in the thread. The reason I ignored is that you wouldn't have bothered with the explanation, and just come back with your stock, "Realism doesn't exist in D&D, it's just being internally consistent." If you want me to be willing to go out of my way for you, you're going to first have to show me that you are willing to discuss in good faith.

I'm truly sorry you feel this way, Max, especially since it couldn't be further from the truth. However, since you openly state that you reciprocate bad faith when you believe you receive it, I see no further benefit in discussion with someone intentionally acting in bad faith as some form of payback for imagined slights.

Alright, I'm going to transliterate the Torchbearer play excerpt to Dungeon World so the differences between the two systems can shed some light on the conversation.

[sblock]Level 1

Dwarf Adventurer
Elf Ranger
Halfling Burglar

They're at the end of their initial Adventure, a foray into a crystalline cavern network long ago abandoned by its demihuman denizens due to a calamity. Every member of the group has multiple Conditions, they're running low on rations, their skins are empty, and they only have 4 torches left between them.

They dealt with a Cave-in Twist awhile back that cut them off from the known route back to the surface. With severely dwindling resources and growing Conditions, they couldn't afford to spend the Turns trying to dig their way out. So, in hopes of finding a new way out, they struck off in another direction where active air flow worked the flames of their dying torchlight.

They reach a bottomless chasm spanned by an incredibly rickety rope bridge that is in near ruin in the middle and gently swaying in an unseen breeze. The ceiling is too high to see with the minuscule light of their torch and the endless dark below promises swift death.

Another torch goes out. 6 Turns of light left...(3 torches * 2 Turns).

The Grind also hits on this turn (every 4 turns = Condition Clock ticks). Hungry and Thirsty. The last of the rations stave that off...

How to cross?

Time is the enemy.

The stakes are very high for this obstacle.

Conditions are grinding down the team (the Halfling is Afraid so he can't Help, the Elf is Injured so -1D to Nature/Will/Health/ Skills, the Dwarf is Angry and Exhausted so can't use Traits to help and all tests increase by 1).

They have to weigh the potential time it would take to try to (a) find another way around, (b) attempt to repair the bridge, vs (c) the danger of a mad dash across (and the Twist or Condition that would arise from failure...) while still (d) dealing with the unknown of what lies ahead.

A mad dash across would just be 1 turn but would test Dungeoneer or Will (nerves) for all.

Repairing/jury-rigging it would be 2 turns, but the Elf has Survivalist 2 and he can tap his Nature for 4 more (though it will tax his Nature because its out of his descriptor portfolio) with his Persona point he earned earlier for playing against a Belief, can use his 1/Session "Brave" Trait for 7 total. -1 for Injured. Someone has to scramble out there and hold the torch while the Elf does his work. The Angry and Exhausted Dwarf has to be the one (Halfing can't) and he has Dungeoneering, so fair enough. There is another 1, though the Obstacles factor increases by 1 from OB3 to OB4. Needs 4 or better on 4 out of his 7 dice.

They consider the possible Twists they can think of; losing gear, torch snuffing early and being stuck in the pitch black on the rickety bridge, some kind of Indiana Jones conflict with the the bridge snapping with them hung up in the tattered remnants...slamming them against the sheer face on the other side...while the Halfling is stuck back there, some unforeseen predator that haunts the cavern, one of them falls through to certain death but the other can grab him with a successful test...or fall too...

Then there is the prospect of getting across but another crushing Condition accrued for the Dwarf and Elf (putting them closer to death).

Its the best shot they have and they're reaching the proverbial end of the rope (/rimshot).[/sblock]

(TORCHBEARER) TOWN PHASE FOR OPENING ADVENTURE AND GM'S MAPS VS (DUNGEON WORLD) COLLECTIVE PREMISE AND COLLECTIVE MAP W/ BLANKS

1) Dungeon World doesn't have Phases. Its all free-form roleplay with a snowballing resolution engine and tightly integrated feedbacks/reward cycles. So if a Dwarf Fighter, and Elf Ranger, and a Halfling Thief were on the above adventure to begin play, it wouldn't emerge during a Town phase in the way that it would in Torchbearer (which is akin to Blades in the Dark Information Gathering/Free Play phase where you're sorting out a Score and gathering intelligence about it before you gear up and execute the plan). Being the 1st adventure of a Dungeon World game, the premise of this little excursion would arise out of the conversation of collective map-making and character-building at the beginning of the game.

a) GM makes an abstract map on the spot with a thematic name for a site or two that heralds danger/adventure and a few main features (topographical, maybe a town), leaving a lot of blanks.

b) We make characters together (some or all of them already know each other as they have Bonds together...sometimes a few Bonds are left open to flesh out at the End of Session 1) and find out a little bit about these characters as we do (primarily via Alignment statement and Bonds).

c) As we're finishing the characters, we'll also fill out the map a little bit more as we find out where characters are from or a site central to their character (where they are or where they are headed). However, the map will still have plenty of blanks at this point.

d) With that all done, we'd figure out how this started and just go from there. I can see something like:

Dwarf has the Bond:

I worry about the ability of <Halfling> to survive in the dungeon

Elf has the Bond and below Alignment :

I have guided <Halfling> before and they owe me for it.

Good - Endanger yourself to combat an unnatural threat.

Halfling has the Bond:

<Dwarf> has my back when things go wrong.

So maybe the GM puts Winter Wood on the map (it is cursed to perpetually snow there) and one of the players puts Crystalline Caverns underneath it. Through conversation, its determined that the Elf needs something from the caverns to lift the curse on the wood, has leveraged the Halfling to help, and the Dwarf and the Halfling's are longtime pals so the Dwarf is in. Could hook into more than just those 4 character features, but that is typically enough to get the game rolling.

I'll stop there for now. The generation of a Town and a Dungeon/Ruin in Torchbearer is very involved (akin to Lifepath creation in Traveller). While play progresses as a result of player choice and is inspired by/hooks into the PCs' thematic portfolio, the procedure to generate content (and the relative abstraction of that content) is starkly different. Prospective GM Fronts (threats that create danger and portend a grim future of some sort) aren't devised until AFTER the first session (unlike Torchbearer).

Later, I'll put out another post with the hypothetical Dungeon World gameplay of the sblocked situation.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As I said in my initial post (last year): you *infer* that others are twisting words, so you deliberately twist words.

I infer nothing. What happens is that I will say something. They get it wrong. I explain again. They get it wrong. I explain yet again. They get it wrong. When it gets to the 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th time that they get it wrong after being corrected, it's no longer possible that it's an accident. They are deliberately twisting things at that point.

I have no patience for nonsense like that. Participate in good faith, or don't participate at all.

Do not EVER tell me what to do. If you want to have a conversation with me, all you have to do is respond nicely, instead of with the rude and crass behavior that you have demonstrated in this thread. If you don't want to have a conversation with me, then you don't have to. You have no right or ability to tell me what to do, though. The next time it happens I will report the post to the mods and let them deal with you.

Remove ads