A GMing telling the players about the gameworld is not like real life

Because dragons flying has nothing whatsoever to do with falling 100 feet. They are completely different aspects of the game and each aspect has a different spot on the realism spectrum.

I utterly disagree with you, dragons would never be able to fly if gravity worked as it does in the real world (certainly if things fell like they do in reality). So, clearly, there's a difference. How do you know that difference doesn't impact the deadliness of a 100' fall? You don't. I don't. Nobody does (at least I have yet to see a fantasy setting where actual physics, or whatever replaces it in a magical world, has been worked out).

All you can do is STATE that you prefer that the two things are unrelated and then you label that 'realistic'. This is no argument at all. It holds not one dram of water in a rainstorm.

So what? Even if it's only pure opinion, as long as that opinion is vaguely consistent then it naturally follows that the setting as defined by that GM and informed by her opinions will also be vaguely consistent and through that either have or develop its own internal logic. That logic then defines what is "realistic" within that setting - a "realistic" that may or may not have anything to do with our own real-life reality - and gives the characters and players a base foundation on which to function.
I don't really comprehend why the word 'realistic' is a good choice for this. I would choose possibly 'self-consistent' as one adjective, but there could be others. Anyway, I don't have any specific reason to dispute that a GM could be consistent, or even that they could have a well-developed 'internal logic'. I think these would be reasonable possibilities and you could then say "this is what I want in my game" (which I think you have). I don't have an issue with any of that. I just can't see Max's insistence on 'realism' being supportable.

To argue with this will quickly move us into the realms of belief, science-v-religion, and spirituality - I'm going to hazard a guess the mods might not be in favour and so give this no more than this brief wave as I pass by... :)

Eh, I don't think it bothers me, but that's OK. I would say that such a position is well-supported by science, really.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
There isn't any real way to know based on what you've said so far. It also depends on what we MEAN by 'realistic'. The following points spring to mind:

First: you haven't specified what "become nicked and dull in combat with the need to sharpen the edge and work out the nicks, and rusting if not care for properly" actually means. How fast does this happen? What are the effects of nicked, dull, and rusty swords. How much time and energy is required for maintenance, what skills are required, what tools are required, etc.? To be perfectly blunt, I doubt you know the answers to these questions in real-life terms (and how would you quantify them in any case) with any certainty. Thus any attempt you might make to translate them into D&D mechanics are simply your opinions of what is realistic.

I haven't specified, because it doesn't matter. None of those questions make the least bit of difference to whether or not the inclusion of becoming dull, becoming nicked, etc. increases realism. That it exists at all over the D&D version increases the realism all by itself. Answering those questions can increase the realism further, but they don't need to be answered in order for my example of increased realism to hold true.

Second: Is realistic implying that this tracking of 'nicks and dulling' explains something within the narrative? Is it more realistic to say have the GM simply describe a blow as missing because the sword was too dull once in a great while? Or must there be a 0.415% per day probability of such a miss which has to be mathematically factored into play? What if the end results are basically narratively indistinguishable? Does the impression of realism created in the player's minds count as 'realism' or is some sort of quantifiable mathematical veracity the standard?

Again, it really doesn't matter. Becoming dull and gaining nicks in and of itself increases realism. Causing misses due to dullness increases it further. Doing the research to find out a very close approximation to how often it such a miss happens would increase it further.

Third: How can you assert that the result is, in any of the above senses, actually more realistic?

Because reality includes blades becoming dull and getting nicked. A system without those things is less realistic than one that is exactly the same with the exception of including them. The inclusion automatically moves it down the realism spectrum towards the reality side of things.

Maybe just ignoring the whole issue, as Gygax clearly did, is overall the most realistic option available, for at least some definition(s) of realistic. I certainly think that could be the case.

There's nothing wrong with ignoring realism if you don't care about it. The game will still work fine. Realism only matters to those to whom it matters. I care about it, as do my players, so we make changes to the game with realism in mind.

Finally: Is all this book keeping and insistence on tracking of grinding, honing, whatever the heck it is that has to happen, actually going to make a game that feels more like you're actually inhabiting your character? Is that even the goal?

To much realism bogs the game down and makes it boring. Not enough realism makes the game unenjoyable.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I utterly disagree with you, dragons would never be able to fly if gravity worked as it does in the real world (certainly if things fell like they do in reality).

Sure they would. At least one edition used their inherent magic as an explanation and I still use that. Gravity works just find and dragon magic allows them to fly.

So, clearly, there's a difference. How do you know that difference doesn't impact the deadliness of a 100' fall? You don't. I don't. Nobody does (at least I have yet to see a fantasy setting where actual physics, or whatever replaces it in a magical world, has been worked out).

Or maybe the difference is outside of gravity and allows large creatures with wings to interact in a way our world doesn't. Gravity can still work fine and you can have dragons and other creatures flying around. There are many ways other than altering how gravity works to explain things. The more wild you get, though, the less realism you are going to have.

Sure they would. At least one edition used their inherent magic as an explanation and I still use that. Gravity works just find and dragon magic allows them to fly.

Or maybe the difference is outside of gravity and allows large creatures with wings to interact in a way our world doesn't. Gravity can still work fine and you can have dragons and other creatures flying around. There are many ways other than altering how gravity works to explain things. The more wild you get, though, the less realism you are going to have.

Could, can, might, all just your preference.

I haven't specified, because it doesn't matter. None of those questions make the least bit of difference to whether or not the inclusion of becoming dull, becoming nicked, etc. increases realism. That it exists at all over the D&D version increases the realism all by itself. Answering those questions can increase the realism further, but they don't need to be answered in order for my example of increased realism to hold true.
So, you are asserting that literally any implementation of this in some form, unspecified, is 'more realistic' than ignoring it? This is an absolute statement, eh? I won't even bother to address the absurdity of all this, its readily apparent to all. Max, your positions simply make no sense at this point. There isn't even a point in discussing it, as there is nothing here to discuss.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Could, can, might, all just your preference.

Yep. My preference is for increased realism over the baseline that D&D is at.

So, you are asserting that literally any implementation of this in some form, unspecified, is 'more realistic' than ignoring it? This is an absolute statement, eh? I won't even bother to address the absurdity of all this, its readily apparent to all. Max, your positions simply make no sense at this point. There isn't even a point in discussing it, as there is nothing here to discuss.

If you can't or won't see that making additions to an item of the game, and that addition increases the number of attributes that directly link to the real life version, that you are increasing realism, then I agree that there's really no point in discussing further.

pemerton

Legend
pemerton said:
To retierate: there is more in the heaven and earth of the gameworld than is dreamed of in any GM's philosophy.
This is irrelevant to whether or not something is more or less realistic.
No it's not. Reality is characterised by unpredictable and unanticipated events. GM decision - more-or-less by definition - can't produce those. That's one reason it produces outcomes in the fiction that are not particularly like real life.

Generalising the point: GM decisions are, more-or-less by definition, made for reasons. Thus they create a fiction that reflects one person's priorities for a shared fiction. This is not a characteristic of real life!

Are you really arguing that if I add becoming nicked and dull in combat with the need to sharpen the edge and work out the nicks, and rusting if not cared for properly, that my addition does not more closely match how longswords work in the real world?
What do you mean by adding becoming nicked and dulled in combat? Do you mean adding that as a mechanical state? As a way of narrating why an attack roll fails? As background colour in the manner that [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] describe upthread?

And what does this example have to do with GM decides as a method of resolution? In Prince Valiant, I can narrate a dulled weapon (reducing its adds in combat) as an outcome of a loss in combat. In BW, there are various rules for equipment degradation as well as the possibility of narrating this as a consequence of failure. In Cortex+ Heroic I could impose a Dulled Blade complication on a PC as a consequence of a successful reaction by a NPC.

There are any number of methods that can produce such outcomes in a RPG which allows for it. You've given no reason to think that GM decides is the one that will produce the most realistic distribution/occurrence of such events.

in D&D there is no such dulling or assumed care. Longswords simply never nick or get dull in D&D.

<snip>

Swords break in real life. If I now add breakage to combat in my game, it's more realistic than the game that doesn't have it, but does have assumed care of minor damage. Sword breakage in combat is NOT something that can just be assumed and glossed over the way you did to the damage. You either have it as a possibility in combat and have to deal with the consequences when your sword breaks or you don't.
If [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION]'s D&D game includes player's narrating their PCs' care for their weapons, then we have at least one counterexample to your claim that in D&D there is no such dulling or assumed care. You seem to have in mind the dulling of weapons as a mechanical state of affairs, but your argument would become clearer if you spelled some of these assumptions out, and related them to the thread topic of processes whereby the shared fiction is established.

As far as weapon's breaking is concerned, there obviously are versions of D&D where this happens - eg 4e Dark Sun. They could easily be generalised. Would they make the game more realistic? Well, there are some swords that have been used in combat yet never broken. So it's not unrealistic that the gameworld should contain such swords, nor that they happen to be in the possession of the PCs. A GM who cares for such things could narrate awauy with broken swords that aren't part of the PCs' immediate situations.

Really? You're seriously arguing that weapon degradation happening due to a pink bunny dream is as realistic as a DM coming up with probabilities based on real world weapon degradation and going with a roll based on those odds?
There are so many assumptions built into your rhetorical question that it's hard to unpack them all. But just to focus on one: What are the odds of any given warrrio's sword breaking in any given fight? What are the odds of a GM dreaming of a pink buddy? What is the variation, across time and place and circumstance, in rates of broken swords and in rates of pink bunny dreams?

If the GM decides, on the basis of his/her dream, that today is the day when s/he will narrate a NPC's sword breaking at the dramatic moment, what makes the resuting fiction less realistic than any other decision-making process?

Because dragons flying has nothing whatsoever to do with falling 100 feet. They are completely different aspects of the game and each aspect has a different spot on the realism spectrum.
How can they be compltely different? They both involve the question of how massive bodies do or don't fall to earth. That's why [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] has connected them to one another.

The fact that the game treats the differently in mechanical terms is neither here nor there. Realism, to the extent that it's germane at all, is a property of fiction, not game mechanics.

This is ultimately another example of you making many many assumptions in your posts about how RPGing works, what an RPG system looks like, how it produces outcomes in the fiction, etc. I can unpack most of these, but the presence of the assumptions is making it very hard for you to engage in a conversation that isn't taking those assumptions for granted.

Consider, for instance, [MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION]'s remarks about whether or not it is "realistic" to frame a scene with a 100' drop: whereas D&D leaves that sort of thing entirely in the discretion of the GM, Classic Traveller (as AbdulAlhazred knows) has rules for world generation, which in turn yield details about world atmosphere and hydography and average temperature, which actually create a starting point for answering questions about the "realism" of any particular posited topography.

These world features also feed into the creature generation system, so that flying "dragons" become more likely on low-grav, dense-atmosphere worlds while they are impossible on worlds like earth.

That's not to say that he's wrong to think that there is no "realistic" inferential pathway from those world-level details to any particular drop that the PCs might find themselves adjacent to. My point is that you don't seem to have a very well-developed sense of the range of RPG mechanics out there, and also the range of mechanical and non-mechanical decision-making processs.

Let's go back, for instance, to your claim that deciding which is the more-travelled path in the way [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] suggested upthread - ie on the basis of a player check - is less realistic than [something-or-other]. Such a system can be used to introduce weapon degradation and weapon breakage - 4e Dark Sun uses a version of it, as does Prince Valiant, Burning Wheel and Cortex+ Heroic. You've said that these systems are not apt to produce realism, yet they have more prospect of yielding instancs of weapon degradation and weapon breakage than does D&D as you would pkay it out of the box, which is - you've said - a mark of realism. What's your response to this apparent contradiction? I've got no idea, because you don't seem to have anticipated it because of the assumptions you make about how RPGing works.

For my part, I take it as amply sufficient evidence that there is no valid inference from method of establishing the fiction to degree of realism of the fiction that is establsihed.

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
The (or an) other factor - and you in fact hit it above - is internal logic.

Where the GM has things mapped out ahead of time then - even if only based on the GM's opinion - there's going to be an inherent baked-in internal logic, variants to which will over the long run become apparent. But where nothing is predetermined there's a much higher risk of illogical results e.g. by roll the left path is accurately determined to have more traffic at the junction but subsequent roll results indicate that path goes nowhere and-or has been abandoned. This either a) breaks logic or b) invalidates the result obtained at the junction.

And if the "vanishing" traffic is then explained by a hidden complex or whatever then what other evidence of that complex might have been seen before had its existence been known by the GM all along?

These are the sort of questions I keep asking, though I have yet to get an answer beyond what amounts to a somewhat patronizing "Don't fret about that sort of stuff".
No. The answer you get is your worries are misplaced. Managing inherent logic is simply not as hard as you appear to assume.

By all accounts you've never GMed in a "no myth" style. But you seem to refuse to belief the reports of those who have. I don't know why.

pemerton

Legend
This is where I think [MENTION=23751]Maxperson[/MENTION] has some assumption in mind as to what an implementation would look like, but isn't articulating it because it hasn't occurred to him that there are other implementations possible in different modes of RPGing.

I'm assuming he's thinking of some form of "critical failure" which imposes a penalty to hit and/or damage. How it would work in a non-D&D system I assume simply hasn't been thought about.

That it could be introduced into the fiction without any mechancial change (as [MENTION=6785785]hawkeyefan[/MENTION] suggested; and as you and I have both suggested by narrating a "miss" as the result of a dulled edge) seems not to have been thought about either.

That there is a difference between introducing a new mechancial subsystem and making something a part of the fiction also doesn't seem to have been thought about. I attribute this to the making of assumptions about how RPG systems must be.

hawkeyefan

Legend
Hesitant to dive back in to this mess, but the second example (where the player rolls) still reads as if the GM already knows left has more traffic - the only difference is the use of dice rather than the GM just narrating it.

Sorry it read that way. The results were not really important for the example so much as the methods.

In a procedural game that has a more traditional approach, like D&D, the GM typically has all this information at his disposal prior to the PC asking the question. So he looks at his notes and knows the answer. He may then share that info or call for a roll if he thinks it appropriate (if there is a chance of failure, essentially).

In a more narrative based game, the GM probably doesn’t know which path is more traveled. He asks the player to make the appropriate roll, and then decides what information to provide to the player based on the result of the roll. In this case, let’s say the roll is successful and the GM says the righthand path is more traveled.

Neither of these approaches is more realistic than the other.

And the only person at the table who can give the setting that internal logic, and then maintain it, is the GM. And even then it won't be perfect as no GM can stay on top of absolutely everything, but the odds of consistency will be much greater, which is all we can ask for.

Why do you say this? Why can’t the group collectively maintain internal logic? Have you played in games where such responsibility was not solely the GM’s?

This concern of yours about internal logic falling apart if the GM isn’t the one calling all the shots just seems misplaced. That doesn’t really happen.

Remove ads