3.5 GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CAMPAIGN THREAD - Page 5
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 61
  1. #41
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,564

    The Battle Continues

    GM:
    Ogre original STR: 21 (+5 Bonus)
    Ogre new STR: 16 (+3 Bonus)
    Ogre essentially suffers -2 penalty to hit and damage.


    The Ogre cries out in alarm, as he feels the weight of his gear bear down upon him! Although he can still stand and fight normally, he realizes that he is now considerably weaker, and a look of terror crosses his countenance!

    Meanwhile, Nimbar charges the remaining Goblin, in an attempt to cut off his escape route, so that he will not be able to bring reinforcements.

    GM:
    Attack Roll: (21) Hit
    Damage: 6 pts.
    Goblin #8: 6-6 = 0. Goblin is disabled. Goblin is still conscious, but cannot move or take actions.


    Nimbar stabs the Goblin in the gut with his rapier, and the creature looks at him in surprise. He looks as if he wants to scream, but he can't raise enough breath. He simply coughs, as blood begins to flow profusely from the wound! Somehow, he manages to remain standing, but he is not long for this world.

    Hawke jumps over the disabled Goblin and charges the Ogre, ignoring the other Goblins along the way. One of the Goblins lands a lucky blow, but Hawke shrugs it off, as he lays into the Ogre full-tilt. The Ogre takes a swipe at him on the way in also, but Hawke ducks under the blow just in the nick of time.

    GM:
    Long jump, 5 ft. = DC 10.
    (Cannot fail.)
    Clear without chance of tripping: DC 15.
    (17) = Success. Hawke clears the Goblin completely.
    Goblin #2: AoO: (20) Hits. Damage: 4 pts.
    Ogre: AoO: (14) Miss (Charging AC = 15.)
    Charge & Pounce: +9/+9/+9
    (12,20,17) = Miss,Hit, Hit vs. AC 16
    Damage: 6, 4 = 10 pts.
    Ogre: 29-10 = 19. Ogre has suffered a significant wound.
    Hawke: 25-4 = 21. Hawke is significantly hurt.


    Hawke overshoots his first attack, but manages to connect with the other two, slamming both the Ogre's knees, causing the brute to stumble slightly. The Ogre lets out a loud "Owww!" as the blows connect. He is clearly not used to being hit so hard, or so often. A look of uncertainty flashes briefly in his eyes.

    GM:
    Ogre attack: (20) Hit; Damage: 15 pts.
    Hawke: 21-15 = 6. Hawke is severely wounded!
    Goblin #1: (11) = Miss;
    Goblin #2: (15) = Hit; Damage = 3pts.
    Hawke: 6-3 = 3. Hawke is critically wounded!


    The Ogre regains his composure, and brings his greatclub down upon Tellerian HARD. The big warrior tries to block it, but the massive weapon smashes through his defenses, and comes down hard on Tellerian's right shoulder with a sickening crunch! The Goblins join in, and one of them manages to do the same thing to him that he did to the Ogre; the Goblin's morningstar smashes into the side of Tellerian's left knee!

    Hawke screams in defiance! "DIE, SCUM OF JOTUNHEIMR!!

    Battle Map

    Name:  4A23B4AD-1C30-44BA-B5C4-8276F15179FD.jpeg
Views: 64
Size:  475.4 KB


    SPHYNX: It is now your turn! Hawke is seriously injured, but he doesn't look as if he intends to stop. What do you do?
    Last edited by Tellerian Hawke; Friday, 17th May, 2019 at 12:39 AM.
    XP MacConnell gave XP for this post

  2. #42
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,564
    GM: Posted on behalf of MacConnell:


    GM:
    Sphynx moves into position (2 spaces to the left) to gain good line-of-sight on Goblin #3.

    Sphynx casts Ray of Frost on Goblin #3.
    Range touch attack: (16) Hits.
    Damage: 2 pts.
    Goblin #3: 1-2 = -1. Goblin is unconscious and dying.


    Sphynx steps forward slightly, targets the Goblin who got the lucky hit on Hawke, and drops him with a Ray of Frost.

    Nimbar advances toward the western tunnel, and points a finger at the Ogre. He utters a single word, "Freeze!

    GM:
    Nimbar casts a 0-level spell (Daze)
    DC 14
    Ogre Will save: 7 (Fail)
    Ogre will take no actions this round.


    Much to the Goblins' dismay, the Ogre gets a bewildered look on his face, and his arms go slack.

    GM:
    Morale Check: Goblins see that the battle is turning against them.
    Will save, base DC 10.
    Seeing many of their fellows decimated: +3
    Seeing their great, Ogre friend incapacitated by "strong" magic: +3
    Seeing Hawke still standing, even after a great blow from the Ogre: +2
    Total DC: 18
    Goblin will save: 1d20-1 = 0,15,17 (All fail.)
    Goblin #1, #2, and #4 failed their saves; they intend to drop their weapons and surrender.
    Goblin #3 is out of commission.


    GM:
    Hawke attacks the Ogre. He is using only 1 attack, because he wants to make sure that the blow lands.
    Attack: (18) Hit; Damage = 11 pts.
    Ogre: 19-11 = 8 pts. Ogre is severely wounded!


    Tellerian slows the pace of his attacks, waiting for a better opening; he gets what he is looking for, and smashes the Ogre's left forearm, as it tries to stay out of his way. His hammer smashes the beast's elbow, causing it to bellow in pain once more. Still, it cannot shake the dizzy feeling from Nimbar's spell, and its mind is abuzz with confusion.

    GM:
    Goblin #3 loses a hit point, as he slowly continues to die. (-2)
    Goblins 1,2, and 4 drop their weapons and surrender.
    The Ogre is dazed, and fails to act.


    All of the remaining Goblins, including the one with the severe head injury, lose their nerve; they drop their weapons and fall to their knees, in obvious surrender!

    The Ogre blinks, unable to understand what is going on. He fails to act on his turn.

    [NEW ROUND]

    Sphynx pauses, waiting to see what Hawke will do; his friend is in critical condition, but still looks unwilling to give up!

    Nimbar pauses also, as he sees Hawke tensing up to attack once again.

    GM: Sphynx and Nimbar will delay their actions until Hawke has attacked.


    GM:
    Hawke attacks: 16,23 (2 Hits); Damage: 10,6 (16 total.)
    Ogre: 8-16 = -8. Ogre is unconscious and dying.


    Seeing that the Ogre is about to recover his senses, Tellerian throws caution to the wind, and wades in against the big brute; his first blow lands in the Ogre's ribcage, on the left side, knocking the wind from the beast, cracking several ribs in the process. That blow, in and of itself, would have been sufficient to drop him. But as he is collapsing, Tellerian hits him with a riposte, bringing the smaller hammer down on the crown of his head, cracking his skull. The Ogre falls flat on his face, and ceases to move, as the remaining Goblins cry out and begin to sob and wail at the loss of their friend.

    Goblin #1 (Speaking Common): "Please spare us! In the room to the west, where we were stationed, is a secret door that leads to Big Rube's cave. He has treasure there, and there is a cave entrance from which you can leave quickly! There are more of my tribesmen west of there, but they won't come to investigate, because they are charged with watching over the females and young. You have decimated our great army! We will now be vulnerable to raids from the nearby Orc and Kobold tribes. If you spare us, we shall warn our brethren so that we can flee, but not before you have a chance to leave. What say you?"

    Combat has ended! There are 6 Goblins remaining, 3 whom have surrendered, and 3 whom are asleep. You may roll a Sense Motive check if you wish, in order to assess the Goblin's offer. Everyone: What do you do?
    Last edited by Tellerian Hawke; Friday, 17th May, 2019 at 04:45 PM.

  3. #43
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,836
    Sphynx moves and lays a hand on Hawke, calling upon his druidic skill to restore some of the big man's loss of health.
    OOC: Cast Cure Light: 1d8 + 1 = 6

    OOC: Sense Motive: d20 + 6 = 18

    If the goblin who spoke seems even remotely genuine, Sphynx has no problem agreeing to let the remainder live. After aiding Hawke, Sphynx makes some grandiose gestures and speaks some words in Draconic. He then speaks in common to the goblin who had thus spoken. "I have placed a magic mark on you. If we decide to let you leave and you betray us, I will be able to find you, wherever you go, and kill you. You and your people will, also, not touch our camels."
    OOC: Bluff: d20 + 5 = 16


    GM:
    +250 xp. to Sphynx for making the DM laugh.
    Last edited by Tellerian Hawke; Monday, 20th May, 2019 at 11:44 PM.
    Laugh Tellerian Hawke laughed with this post

  4. #44
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,564
    Sensing that the Goblin will only keep his word until he is out-of-sight, Sphynx pulls off a masterful bluff. The two Goblins who are aware enough to react to it end up falling for it, hook, line, and sinker.

    GM: Goblins Sense Motive roll: 14, 6 (both fail.)


    The two alert Goblins scurry away in the direction indicated by the arrow. The one with the head injury is still standing around in the hallway, looking dazed. The 3 sleeping Goblins are still asleep in the opposite hallway.

    GM:
    Name:  0D9F0EB4-D8BA-4218-BEC0-C703CFD91EFA.jpeg
Views: 83
Size:  257.0 KB


    GM: "A" is where you came in, "B" is the exit from the Ogre's cave. "S" marks the location of the secret door. "X" would make a good staging area for further excursions.


    EVERYONE: What do you do?
    XP MacConnell gave XP for this post

  5. #45
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,564

    DM SUPPLEMENTAL POST

    GM:
    Combat Award For Each Character (Defeated Monsters): 1,100

    Roleplaying Award For Each Character: 500

    Story Award (Defeat of the Ogre): 500


    Individual awards:

    Sphynx: +250 (Making DM Laugh)


    TOTALS:

    Hawke: 2,100 xp.
    Nimbar: 2,100 xp.
    Sphynx: 2,350 xp.


    GM:
    A quick once-over of the Goblin bodies, and a quick search of the Ogre's cave reveals:

    450 sp.
    726 cp.
    289 gp.

    Six silver-tipped, heartwood arrows (possibly enchanted)
    A small, glass vial with cloudy white liquid contents (possibly a potion)
    A scroll with holy writings (probably cleric spells)

    All of this will fit easily into Tellerian's haversack, and can be gathered and stored quite quickly.
    XP MacConnell gave XP for this post

  6. #46
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,836
    Sphynx is content to leave the goblins and moves through the secret door into the Ogre's room. After searching it thoroughly, especially the bedding area or any debris piles, he goes outside to make a quick check on the camels, coaxing them over near the new egress point.

    He looks at his two new friends. "I was thinking. This cave would make a good staging location to enter and leave by way of the secret door. We should take our current spoils, return to town, then come back after a day of rest."
    Last edited by MacConnell; Wednesday, 22nd May, 2019 at 10:29 PM.
    XP Tellerian Hawke gave XP for this post

  7. #47
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,564
    GM:
    Rolling encounter chance: 1 in 1d10, 2 chances before clearing the woods, and getting to the part of the road that is secure and patrolled: (2,4) = No encounters.


    The party makes it back to their camels without a problem, and loads them up. Then the party proceeds back through the woods, and despite hearing many strange noises, and encountering many strange smells, all of you make it back to the road without incident. A few hours later, you arrive safely back at the keep.

    GM:
    The monetary split (after converting the copper to silver, and dividing the money evenly) comes to:
    177 Sp., and 96 Gp. for each character.


    We now need to decide what to do with the items we came across. Sphynx: any ideas?
    XP MacConnell gave XP for this post

  8. #48
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,836
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellerian Hawke View Post
    We now need to decide what to do with the items we came across. Sphynx: any ideas?
    Sphynx nods. "I would like to hang onto the vial and scrolls for the time being. I would also like to examine them when we get away from prying eyes. The arrows, I am for selling."
    OOC: Holy cow! Editing button just appeared on this post.
    Last edited by MacConnell; Saturday, 8th June, 2019 at 06:29 PM.
    XP Tellerian Hawke gave XP for this post

  9. #49
    Member
    A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)



    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Willip, Furyondy
    Posts
    1,564

    Nimbar has a suggestion.

    Nimbar says, "I can rest for 8 hours, and then be ready to cast Identify on these items. But we're going to need three nice pearls (one for each item to be identified), some red wine, and an owl feather. I have a few owl feathers in my pouch, and red wine can easily be had at the tavern. But the pearls are another matter. The shop in town with the upscale provisions might have some, since they also deal in furs. I've never known a furrier who wasn't also a jeweler, because each of those things accessorizes the other. But we might pay a pretty penny. We could be looking at a hundred gold or more, per pearl. That would basically mean that our newfound gold from the Ogre's bag would end up almost entirely in the furrier's purse. But on the bright side, we still have a ton of silver."

    Hawke nods, "I think it's worth it. Let's go see what he's charging. Or if he even has any pearls to begin with. Remember, this is a borderland keep, not downtown Willip."

    Nimbar nods in agreement.

    Sphynx: Your thoughts?
    XP MacConnell gave XP for this post

  10. #50
    Member
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)



    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Quagmire Ranch
    Posts
    1,836
    Sphynx shakes his head. "That kind of purchase would draw unwanted attention. We can wait. I can take a look at the scroll and see what I can make of it on my own."
    Decipher
    d20 + 7 = 17


    GM:
    It's hard (DC 30) to make out details about spell scrolls using Decipher Script. But what you can tell is as follows:

    The spells on the scroll are Divine (Clerical) magic.
    The scroll was dropped by a good-aligned priest, because the scroll bears the holy symbol of Re-Horakty.
    There are two spells on the scroll.
    The first spell on the scroll is of low (1st) spell level.
    The second spell on the scroll is of average (2nd) spell level.
    Last edited by Tellerian Hawke; Monday, 17th June, 2019 at 08:18 PM.
    XP Tellerian Hawke gave XP for this post

Similar Threads

  1. GREYHAWK CY 576: GREAT LEGENDS RETOLD -- CHARACTER RECORD THREAD
    By Tellerian Hawke in forum Playing the Game
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: Saturday, 26th January, 2019, 02:56 AM
  2. Replies: 129
    Last Post: Sunday, 5th March, 2017, 08:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •