Imprisonment

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
The Imprisonment spell seems to be only for flavor. Other than using it to become a lich or to make a fairly expensive trap, what practical uses does it have? For a 9th level spell especially for the Warlock who only gets one, it seems like a tactical waste compared to True Polymorph. Thoughts? It may not be a big issue by 17th level but has anyone had experience with this choice?

bgbarcus

Explorer
Characters at levels where they have 9th level spells are expected to be dealing with creatures far beyond just a monster to be beaten in a fight. If you have an enemy that can't simply be killed to get rid of them (demon lord, lich, etc.) taking them out of the world with Imprisonment might make sense.

I doubt anyone would take that spell for a typical adventuring day but once you've captured the unkillable bad guy this spell gives a means to make them no longer a danger. At least not any time soon. Maybe the creature isn't truly unkillable but you need to get them out of the way while going on a quest to acquire the means to kill them.

Imprisonment may make sense for a Wizard to add to the spellbook and prepare if the need should ever arise.

A caster that learns spells (i.e. Warlock) shouldn't touch it with a 40-foot pole.

Last edited:

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I quite agree. Wizard has Wish at 9th level and it has a lot more versatility. Duplicate Plane Shift and zap the baddie to another plane. Cleric can use divine intervention and ask a god to intervene. A warlock has True Polymorph. Turn him into a sparrow and freeze him in a block of ice. Leave it in the north sea. If a warlock is supposed to consider it valuable at that level, IMO it ought to have a use that's likely to come up at least occasionally. If it exists to be an NPC or story device, perhaps it ought not reside in the PHB.

I quite agree. Wizard has Wish at 9th level and it has a lot more versatility. Duplicate Plane Shift and zap the baddie to another plane. Cleric can use divine intervention and ask a god to intervene. A warlock has True Polymorph. Turn him into a sparrow and freeze him in a block of ice. Leave it in the north sea. If a warlock is supposed to consider it valuable at that level, IMO it ought to have a use that's likely to come up at least occasionally. If it exists to be an NPC or story device, perhaps it ought not reside in the PHB.

While your points are valid, I strongly disagree that a spell does not belong into the phb. I do believe every spell needs to be there even if it mainly a plot device. It is important that powerful spells are usable for players if they wish and they need to know what level an effect requires. Imprisonment is a very strong effect but for as simple fight it is wasted and unreliable.
I think the ritual tag would be a nice addition so warlocks could cast it if they really wish.

shadowoflameth

Adventurer
I agree, the ritual tag would fix it for me. I suppose that a player could create a version with the ritual tag if he wanted to spend the resources to do that. Thanks, I think that works nicely.

Gadget

Adventurer
This spell has always been more of a plot or world build spell, even in previous editions. As such, I don't really have a problem with it compared to some other spells that are simply just poor spells (i.e. Weird, PWK, etc.).

Remove ads