What is the real name of the Wu Jen from Chinese folklore?

Slit518

Adventurer
What are Wu Jen really called?

I know it was a class in D&D 3.5, but a simple Google result only brings me to D&D 3.5.

I have read somewhere that the name was a poor translation and that it should not of been Wu Jen.

So what is the name of the magic practitioner of Chinese folklore?

Wu what?

Thanks in advance!

Slit518

Adventurer
I read the whole thread you posted. It left me with more questions than answers.

I suppose I'll just have to do my own research on the Wu Xing practitioners.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I think it's just "Wu", which means like shaman or witch or wizard, or possibly "Wu Shen", shen apparently being something like a (nature) spirit.

Slit518

Adventurer
Alright, because I am making a character for a video game and want the proper term, instead of the incorrect one.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Wu jen is probably something of a portmanteau term for OA - wu for medium or mystic and jen for man or person. Wū shī is probably one of your best bets for something approaching a decently correct term.

I have just found "tongi" in the wikipedia. This may be a good name for a new class like the incarnum totemist or an oriental version of the vestige-binder.

Other name I have found is Fangxiangshi, ( = "directions scrutinizing master"), a Chinese ritual exorcist.

The Chinese word for D&D wizard is 法師(fǎshī).

I say it with highest respect but sometimes I miss Asian players who suggest a better adaptation for an oriental setting, and most of them are Japaneses or Koreans, and this means their cultural influence will be higher.

Fireball36

Explorer
I would go with "Fangshi" (方士) that is defined as "Method-master" that the early Chinese used for people they saw as alchemists, astrologers, doctors, mystics and wizards. Wikipedia has more detail.

I knew my copy of the RPG Qin - The Warring States would be good for something! :-D

Slit518

Adventurer
To everyone who gave alternative names, and who gave explanations with alternative names, thank you!

I especially enjoy the Chinese ones, because the character is Chinese.

GreyLord

Legend
Old Topic. I think it is from the Chinese (one of the items taken from Chinese rather than Japanese).

Wu would be after Wuism, or a Shaman/Sorcerer...meaning more such as mysticism/mystical.or more aptly from 巫教

Jen would be more the attributes that make humanity, or humanity itself. Pronounced more like Ren it would be 仁

It is mystical + humanity. Basically, a mystical Humanity. In essence, saying...magic man.

NOW...there is of course, caveats.

First, this is an ASSUMPTION of which Wu they were using (there are over 60 forms of it)...AND the form of Jen they may have been utilizing.

It could just as easily mean five, or baby, or martial, a warrior, warriorlike, an area of China, or any number of other meanings. It can even be a Surname! From what they used it for (A spellcasting class like the Wizard) my assumptions would be that they were utilizing meanings that were related to that usage.

Just my thoughts on it.

PS: And Doh...on me, for resurrecting the dead...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases