What paints do you use?

pogre

Legend
My main paints are Vallejo. I own most of the Game line and a lot of model Vallejo. I also use the Scale 75 range. They are a little different and take a while to get used to, but they are very interesting to work with. There are a few colors in the Reaper line I use all of the time - my experience has been hit or miss with those paints, but their deep reds cannot be beat. I have some Army Painter paints. They are decent enough paints, but I rarely use them. I like the GW inks and a couple of their layer paints, but overall they are not a good deal and I prefer dropper bottles. My final recommendation is to look into using a wet palette. There are tons of tutorials on how to make your own cheaply to see if you like them. I just converted over to a more expensive model after years of making my own. Good luck!

Retreater

Legend
I'll copy most of the suggestions that Pogre made. I like Vallejo, and I also use Citadel if I need a specific color. Also the Citadel washes are awesome. The paint pots are terrible, however, and I vastly prefer dropper bottles.

I read reviews of Army Painter and decided to buy a set when it was on sale. I don't like 'em, and the other hobbyists in my area feel the same. They're thick, creamy, seem to clog up detail while not covering well.

And to echo the sentiment: the wet palette is a game changer!

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Outside of washes and inks its been entirely Vallejo model and air color for awhile. For washes I use GW and Army Painter. Love the air color metals for brush on work. but I'm going to get an air brush this spring I think.

I have a self made wet palette and its good but as often I just put some paint on my old plate and add some water. Depends.

The main minis I plan to use will be from Reaper; the bones line, along with maybe some scale model figures ( 1/35 or so). I saw a video on youtube that said Vallejo is a better value than Citadel paints for a number of reasons.

Selecting the best paint will depend on several factors including your painting style, what types of models you will be painting, and what you will use them for. If you are painting minis for tabletop game use then they will handled and sometimes roughed up a bit. Vallejo model color tends rub off easily from handling unless you really seal the heck out of it. For display or competition pieces it is fantastic paint.If you like the ease of painting straight from the pot or bottle then Vallejo and Scale 75 will not be your best picks. Citadel, P3 , and Reaper work well for this. If you do like Citadel (and I do like some of their colors very much) but hate their dry up in one month pots then take a look at the Coat d'Armes range. They still have the old Citadel classics in the hex shaped bottles with tight fitting lids.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
Selecting the best paint will depend on several factors including your painting style, what types of models you will be painting, and what you will use them for. If you are painting minis for tabletop game use then they will handled and sometimes roughed up a bit. Vallejo model color tends rub off easily from handling unless you really seal the heck out of it. For display or competition pieces it is fantastic paint.If you like the ease of painting straight from the pot or bottle then Vallejo and Scale 75 will not be your best picks. Citadel, P3 , and Reaper work well for this. If you do like Citadel (and I do like some of their colors very much) but hate their dry up in one month pots then take a look at the Coat d'Armes range. They still have the old Citadel classics in the hex shaped bottles with tight fitting lids.

Never had that issue with Vallejo. I give them a a couple coats of a matt varnish, army painter mostly, and haven't had issues.

pogre

Legend
Never had that issue with Vallejo. I give them a a couple coats of a matt varnish, army painter mostly, and haven't had issues.

I'll be an echo. Never had any issues with durability with Vallejo and I have been using it a long time. Don't know about Scale 75 - only started using those a year ago. So far, so good.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases