Pages From The Upcoming Nautical D&D Book!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

These screencaps were posted by GM Leigh (of Mage Productions) on Twitter after being showed on WotC's Twitch stream, presented by Kate Welch and Nathan Stewart. Note the old Saltmarsh trilogy references!

1.jpg
2.jpg

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh, this is a very interesting piece of information. In an earlier post, I mentioned that the original U3 module included some kind of guidelines for underwater adventures but there were none for seafaring or navigating ships or other water vehicles. If you are correct and the big AP from summer is also water-themed, that one might include then the seafaring rules that were playtested.

More specifically, those rules were part of a larger batch of vehicle rules that include land and air vehicles. They decided, for reasons, that selecting ship rules out for early playtesting would make sense. And in the past week or so, Mearls said on Twitter they have started reworking them based on the positive feedback.

As to the contents of this book...there was a Tier II series of Sahuagin adventures in 2E. What if this book reprints those, with U2-3, and a Volo's Guide style section on Sahuagin...?

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
More specifically, those rules were part of a larger batch of vehicle rules that include land and air vehicles. They decided, for reasons, that selecting ship rules out for early playtesting would make sense. And in the past week or so, Mearls said on Twitter they have started reworking them based on the positive feedback.

As to the contents of this book...there was a Tier II series of Sahuagin adventures in 2E. What if this book reprints those, with U2-3, and a Volo's Guide style section on Sahuagin...?

Oh I have never played those, do you mean GA1-2? The Murky Deep and Swamplight? That could be nice, are they related or stand alone? I think there was a GA 3 as well.

Edit to add; The only other i can think of is Evil Tide trilogy by Bruce Cordell, but haven't played that one either.

Last edited by a moderator:

D

DQDesign

If you are correct and the big AP from summer is also water-themed, that one might include then the seafaring rules that were playtested.

the perspective of having two entire hardcover official wotc books focused on boats, oars and seasickness and zero for, let say, Eberron is totally nonsense for me.

I can't really believe the market needs hundreds of pages about those topics, especially hundreds of pages batched in two volumes in a row. but given the enthusiastically feedback which airs, for example, here, I m most probably wrong.

vpuigdoller

Adventurer
the perspective of having two entire hardcover official wotc books focused on boats, oars and seasickness and zero for, let say, Eberron is totally nonsense for me.

I can't really believe the market needs hundreds of pages about those topics, especially hundreds of pages batched in two volumes in a row. but given the enthusiastically feedback which airs, for example, here, I m most probably wrong.

You are not necessarily wrong. It's all speculation, maybe focusing the two adventure books in water-themed APs is a bit of a stretch? Me personally. don't care much about the rules part, I care more about the themed adventures part. Rules, I can figure a way to do those, though an official ruling might be nice for some groups. Lately, though, WOTC has been very successful by not putting all eggs on the same basket. We will have to wait and see for either more previews or official product information release.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Oh I have never played those, do you mean GA1-2? The Murky Deep and Swamplight? That could be nice, are they related or stand alone? I think there was a GA 3 as well.

Edit to add; The only other i can think of is Evil Tide trilogy by Bruce Cordell, but haven't played that one either.

The Evil Tide trilogy, which is for levels 5-10 per the DMsGuild description, and designed as a companion to the Monstrous Arcana book on Sahuagin.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You are not necessarily wrong. It's all speculation, maybe focusing the two adventure books in water-themed APs is a bit of a stretch? Me personally. don't care much about the rules part, I care more about the themed adventures part. Rules, I can figure a way to do those, though an official ruling might be nice for some groups. Lately, though, WOTC has been very successful by not putting all eggs on the same basket. We will have to wait and see for either more previews or official product information release.

In 2017, the two adventure products had the same archvillain: still pretty different books. If this is an underwater Sahuagin-fest in the style of Aquaman, and the AP is a Sword Coast sandbox (as Perkins has laid hints towards in the past, the upcoming comic series, etc.), those can be even more different in terms of material.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
... by which I mean pillaging Greyhawk's stories and characters while continuing to forbid 3rd party Greyhawk products and 5e Greyhawk updates from being put up on the DMs Guild.

Maybe that's why Greyhawk isn't open, they don't want people publishing conversions of things they want to pillage.

Hussar

Legend
If Saltmarsh is for levels 1-5, then, maybe something in the vein of Dragonheist might be in the wind - an "AP" that is 2/3rds setting guide and 1/3 adventure.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I support this. I loved the Saltmarsh series... my favorite aside from the Desert of Desolation series as far as oldschool adventures go.

I'm running Desert of Desolation now. This is a great series which would be a fantastic rerelease. Not a "spiritual successor" like some of the other things they've done which references it the way Greta Van Fleet cops Led Zeppelin's sound, but the real deal.

There's just so much there, especially in the version that was released as a supermodule in 1987. Fill out the setting and work on the bones that are there, which are really solid. They provide a great sandbox (literally and figuratively!) with the PCs being able to seek out the Star Gems once they've gotten into the story in various orders. I've really played up the fact that the gods have cursed the land and left it, which has presented some notable challenges. I put in some quasi-Nazi halflings excavating things, too, to play up the Indiana Jones feel.

Unfortunately I feel the campaign may be falling apart but that's due to the group.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I agree Saltmarsh was written in a way that can easily be placed elsewhere if you wanted to. They will probably give you some tips in how to set it in other Campaign Settings as they did in TftYP. I do hope that if Saltmarsh is indeed included that they also include the Saltmarsh maps.

It was very loosely set in Greyhawk. I ran Saltmarsh (but not the other two) in my own campaign world. I ran that in 1999 and, with a number of lengthy pauses, that game is still going! The PCs are 11th level (in 2E that's pretty good) and they're now world-hopping through the Astral.

Remove ads

Remove ads