Recommend Star Trek for Non Trekkies.

Zardnaar

Legend
I wish I could find that old essay that was titled "Star Wars Fans Hate Star Wars"

I liked both when I was younger, I like Star Wars more though. Was a casual watcher of Trek, have never watched a complete series and haven't watched it since the 90's except for some of the movies.

Started watching DS9 the pilot+ episode 2.

Broadly speaking TNG, DS9 and Voyager were kinda linked? By that I mean a similar in universe time frame?

Similar time frame. TNG + DS9 and DS9 + VOY partially overlapped with each other. There was even a cross-over episode between TNG and DS9, and some characters from TNG went actually on to DS9, and some guest actors continued their role (still as guest) from TNG in DS9.

I was jsut thinking that thanks to the "collections" series mainly the Borg one, you can watch the whole Borg Arc well most of it, you'd need First contact since it's a lead into the enterprise episode Regeneration.

Zardnaar

Legend
I was jsut thinking that thanks to the "collections" series mainly the Borg one, you can watch the whole Borg Arc well most of it, you'd need First contact since it's a lead into the enterprise episode Regeneration.

I'm using Netflix.

Think it has all the series from TOS to Discovery.

Zardnaar

Legend
So 6 episodes deep into DS9. I picked it because I think it's the one my wife would like the most.

Did some research and TNG seems a bit rough season one but the best of it is almost the peak of the franchise while DS9 seems more consistent overall.

Enterprise and Voyager seem a bit hot and miss.

This is what I have read on trek boards and Google search. It was basically between DS9 and TNG as a start point. Is that a fair assessment of the various series?

ccs

41st lv DM
Enterprise and Voyager seem a bit hot and miss.

This is what I have read on trek boards and Google search. It was basically between DS9 and TNG as a start point. Is that a fair assessment of the various series?

Yes. But don't write them off.

I found Enterprise to be pretty enjoyable. Like I've said, I liked both the crew & the actors playing them. That goes along way smoothing over rough bits.
It's worst is season 3 where they focus heavily on a time travel war. That wears thin pretty quickly & goes way too long. And it probably doomed the series. Once the audience tunes out & not enough return during season 4 :(....

Voyager - If you watch this one you've got to get through the 1st two seasons before things get any better. Or watch a handful of season 1 & 2 to get the characters & then skip to season 3+.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes. But don't write them off.

I found Enterprise to be pretty enjoyable. Like I've said, I liked both the crew & the actors playing them. That goes along way smoothing over rough bits.
It's worst is season 3 where they focus heavily on a time travel war. That wears thin pretty quickly & goes way too long. And it probably doomed the series. Once the audience tunes out & not enough return during season 4 :(....

Voyager - If you watch this one you've got to get through the 1st two seasons before things get any better. Or watch a handful of season 1 & 2 to get the characters & then skip to season 3+.

A few were saying skip season 1&2 of TNG, and DS9 picks up season 2. Doing a DS9 binge ATM;)

Quarks gambling presumably for the lives of Cisco, Kira, Dax and whatshisname.

Last edited:

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Anyway what series could you recommend to watch the main criteria is it has to stand alone and not be to reliant on the other series and it would also have to appeal to non Trekkies thatgenerally like sci fi shows such as a few mentioned in this thread along with shows like early Doctor Who (Smith/Tenant), BSG, The Orville, Orphan Black, Continuum, Sanctuary etc. We can handle dated special effects as well, that is not a problem.

Tennant and Smith count as early Doctor Who now?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases