WOIN Clarification on acid blood

Grimmstories

First Post
Hello, been playing the woin system for some time and notice that some rules are needing to be explained better or reference page or book the rule is located. Like the ogres and xenomorph acid blood, does it soak or not? If it is soaked, why have it at all? These abilities will be useless against well protected foes and might do one damage.

Grimmstories

First Post
Damage always soaks unless something says otherwise.

That's why I posted this to find out if it soaks or not. Nothing wrong with what you're saying but I was hoping to a yes or no answer and maybe a book or page number. Sorry if that wasn't clear. The book itself doesn't do a good job explaining what does or doesn't soak.

Last edited:

Grimmstories

First Post
So does it soak or not. Acid damage type exist but no description exist in the NEW book that explains if it soaks or not. Poison damage does say it doesn't soak(in most cases), and if a player or npc use bio-active upgrade on a sword or gun they are able to ignore soak when attacking most foes from my understanding of the rules. Sorry if this seems annoying question, I want to run my games close to the rules as intended and not cheat my players or myself.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Like I said, damage always soaks unless something says it doesn't. If the exploit in question doesn't say that it doesn't soak, then it soaks. :)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m really sorry, but I honesty don’t understand the question. I’m not trying to be awkward.

All damage soaks, unless the exploit or whatever specifically says otherwise. I honestly can’t think of any other way to phrase it! The default is that damage soaks. Anything that doesn’t is an exception to the rule.

Grimmstories

First Post
Acid damage is never explained in the book. I have understood what you said because I already know that. The issue is acid damage discription isn't in the book like cold or poison damage. That why my last post stated since it wasn't in the book it just soaks.

Last edited:

Steven Barker

First Post
I think the main issue is understanding how a small-damage power (like a Xenomorph's acid blood, that deals 1d6 damage in an area) is relevant if all the PCs, and almost all enemies they'll be fighting have armor that soaks 5 or more. If the attack doesn't bypass soak in some way (e.g. by degrading the armor over time as the acid eats into it, perhaps), it seems like the players can just ignore it, since it does at most 1 damage to them at a time (on a 6).

There are also exploits like Strafe (and the space combat version, Torpedo Spread) that let you do 1d6 damage in an area without an attack roll, which seem to be similarly irrelevant in most tactical situations. I guess they could be great if you're facing lots of high-DEFENSE, low SOAK enemies, but I've never seen that happen. I suppose being attacked by fighters is a real threat to a ship if it doesn't have any PD, so maybe Torpedo Spread has a use (though it's stupidly expensive in ammunition), but Strafe just seems like its always going to end up being worse than Spray, since there aren't many things with very low HP and SOAK on a human scale (assuming that the PCs aren't committing massacres against civilians).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The acid blood isn't meant to be a strong combat ability. If an ogre was dealing significant amounts of damage to foes every time it was hit, it would be very overpowered. It'll hurt maybe a peasant, but not a hero.

Mooks are vulnerable to such things as they die with one hit.

Remove ads