Where Have All the Gamers Gone? - Page 4
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander Kalinowski View Post
    Maher stands for a certain (edit out) type of manhood. And he has been watching with perplexity as a different type of manhood has been growing in numbers, alright? So he's raising questions about those "rivals" because he's feeling threatened.
    My nerd friends have all been very successful in raising a family, so Maher has no leg to stand on. His boring and uninspired idea of manhood is rightfully in decline.
    And some of my nerd friends have been a total FAIL at raising a family. So Maher has a leg to stand on. You are just beating your chest and saying my tribe good, Maher tribe bad.

Titan (Lvl 27)

Yes, but, @jasper, were they fails because they were nerds?

Lots of people from all walks of life are failures. Trying to blame one group on society's problems never, ever works.

Except Nazis. You can always blame Nazis.

Defender (Lvl 8)

I also want to add:

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

And what about men that spend time consuming alcohol or watching sports at similar levels?

A 1e title so awesome it's not in the book (Lvl 21)

Gaming's much like anything else don't over do it.

Basically had to get rid of a young one. At the bottom of the heap about one in four or one isn three young males are unemployable. Lack of work ethic and being unreliable are fairly common. Using tourists is often easier. Being able to turn up reliably at 7am is a skill now.

Gaming would be one of the symptoms though a lot of jobs aren't there anymore or are low paid or the well paid Ines are by 40+ who will be there until they retire.
    XP Shasarak gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by dragoner View Post
    It's more about the middle class disappearing, and the US being eclipsed by China and India, economically, and one could only assume technologically and culturally. Gaming is cheap entertainment compared to bowling, and normally people do focus their social lives around their social activities.
    Not to mention much more complex and varied. What you get out of gaming is not only cheap, but of much greater entertainment value than bowling.

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Maher is entitled to his opinion. I don't recall asking him for it, but he's entitled to it I guess.

The folks I play D&D with are colleagues and coworkers (and not that it matters, but we are not 'low skilled' by any means--we are civil engineers and marketing directors.) We have families, we pay our taxes, we vote. We also play D&D every chance we get, and play video games over Steam when we can't. Every now and then a new Marvel movie will be released, and we'll organize a "Guy's Nite" to go watch it (then we watch it again the very next weekend with our families.)

Maher's opinion of a "real adult" might sell with the older, more Conservative crowd, but we ain't buying it.
    XP Campbell gave XP for this post

It's nothing new. There is just a certain strata of people who don't like anything that isn't grounded in a certain perspective of the 'real world'.

Personally, I feel sorry for people who use reality as a crutch because they can't handle fantasy.
    Laugh MNblockhead laughed with this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Also, this:

...and this:

...and this:

Last edited by CleverNickName; Tuesday, 12th February, 2019 at 09:11 AM.

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

I do feel nerds need to get out and make babies. I don't like it that my son has no first cousins.

OTOH Maher is still a jerk.
    XP Hussar gave XP for this post