What Are These D&D 5E Notes In Monte Cook Games' Numenera Shipments?

According to the official Monte Cook Game's Twitter account, recent customer shipments come with a surprise -- handwriten 5e notes on torn Numenera pages. "Some very mysterious notes are being found in a few MCG shipments... We're sure we wouldn't have the faintest idea what those scrawlings might mean. PAY NO ATTENTION."

According to the official Monte Cook Game's Twitter account, recent customer shipments come with a surprise -- handwriten 5e notes on torn Numenera pages. "Some very mysterious notes are being found in a few MCG shipments... We're sure we wouldn't have the faintest idea what those scrawlings might mean. PAY NO ATTENTION."

thumbnail_20190211_231335.jpg

At least one of the mods, Alpha Dean, on the unofficial Cypher discord, the Cypher Unlimited, also received a similar note in his MCG shipment.

For Monte Cooke, who worked on numerous 3e both for Wizards and third party, this would be his first 5e product [although he was part of 5E's design team for a short while]. Other WotC alumnis, Bruce Cordell and Sean Reynolds, also work for MCG and could be likely contributors.

Numenera is MCG's flagship setting for their in-house Cypher system. It's a science fantasy setting where Clarke's Law (suitably advanced science can appear as magic to the in) where strange Middle Ages/Renaissance cultures are swimming in the cast-offs of eight previous high-tech civilizations.

UPDATE: Props to dave2008 for reminding us that Monte also worked on at D&D Next, the beta playtest version of 5e and maybe some of 5e itself before leaving to create MCG and Numenera.

Retreater

Legend
My group played two sessions of Numenera (plus one at a Con.) I loved the concept and setting, but in execution was a little bland.
I don't remember all the terminology, but I was a mystic caster type. I had literally one skill, and had one power that could be used often. Compared to D&D 5e, I would've been like a wizard with +20 in Arcana and only the Firebolt cantrip. Was super boring and repetitive.
So I would look forward to a 5e conversion.

dave2008

Legend
According to the official Monte Cook Game's Twitter account, recent customer shipments come with a surprise -- handwriten 5e notes on torn Numenera pages! :0

https://twitter.com/MonteCookGames/status/1095155102632034306.

At least a couple of gamers from the MCG FB page and l the unofficial Cypher discord, the Cypher Unlimited, have also received similar notes in thier MCG shipments.

I remember Monte Cooke from his work on numerous 3e books both for Wizards and third party stuff (Malhavoc I think?)

This would be his first 5e product. Other Wizard alumnis, Bruce Cordell and Sean Reynolds, also work for MCG so they might also be 5e Numenera contributors.

For those who have not heard of Numenera, it's MCG's flagship setting for their in house Cypher system. It's a science fantasy setting where Clarke's Law (suitably advanced science can appear as magic to the in) where strange Middle Ages/Renaissance cultures are swimming in the cast offs of 8 previous high tech civilizations

MC was actually a part of the D&D Next / 5e team before he left to work on Numenera.

I loved the concept and setting, but in execution was a little bland.

Same. The flavor and setting is awesome, but I really couldn't get into the mechanics which were too bare-bones yet still oddly broken. Every character gets hit and takes physical damage to the same stat, even the character who specifically relies on using points out of that stat for their features to function, which leads to finesse and brainy characters getting beat up without effecting their abilities while the tough guy characters get their core abilities gimped when they're hit physically. It's super simple, and only uses 3 stats, but STILL manages to be intrinsically imbalanced.

I would love a Numenera setting with 5e mechanics.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've played the Numenera CRPG. The world is interesting, but if the PnP rules are anything like the CRPG rules, they are horribad! It would be much better with 5e rules.

Von Ether

Legend
Same. The flavor and setting is awesome, but I really couldn't get into the mechanics which were too bare-bones yet still oddly broken. Every character gets hit and takes physical damage to the same stat, even the character who specifically relies on using points out of that stat for their features to function, which leads to finesse and brainy characters getting beat up without effecting their abilities while the tough guy characters get their core abilities gimped when they're hit physically. It's super simple, and only uses 3 stats, but STILL manages to be intrinsically imbalanced.

I would love a Numenera setting with 5e mechanics.

That's a bit strange (pun unintended) since Edge makes your current Tier abilities free and your Trained weapons makes it even easier without spending points from your Might Pool. So your hit points are still your hit points unless you want to do something extraordinary at Tier 1 (Essentially Level 4 for D&D.) And as you go into higher Tiers, those extraordinary things also become free.

It may be that the "rhythm" of Numenera is off for a lot of folk. You start off competent, but then do something crazy comes with a direct cost instead of gamble on the dice.

In essence for Numenera and the Cypher system, all of your resource management like healing potions (d8 HD in a bottle), spell slots, and Inspiration/luck points, are all tied into one system.

Oddly enough, I've taught people new to the hobby Cypher and they groked it much faster and they had loads of fun compared to people who have been in the hobby for years and get tripped up with how they thought a game "should" be compared to how it was. I've had the same sort reaction to Savage Worlds too.

Quick reminder, there's no badwrongway to have fun at the table.

Last edited by a moderator:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
If he does release a conversion of Numenera for 5E, I wonder if he'll released it under his Malhavoc Press label (since that was his D&D OGL company) rather than Monte Cook Games? Not that it matters either way, I'm just slightly curious.

Remove ads

Remove ads