How Did I Become a Grognard?

pemerton

Legend
I've always hated the idea of Clerics who worship some nebulous concept like good or law rather than a deity, and I dislike how D&D has pulled away from alignments overall.
In an essay from the late 70s, published in White Dwarf, Lewis Pulsipher (who posts here as [MENTION=30518]lewpuls[/MENTION]) wrote that there are no major gods other than the Lords of Law and Chaos. It's clear that early D&D approached religion/divinity through the lens of alignment also - you can see this in Gygax's AD&D, ini the entry for Candles of Invocation (p 140), which says that they "are dedicated to the pantheon of gods of one of the nine alignments."

I think the change in focus for morality/religion from alignment as semi-abstract, pulp/Moorcock-influenced Law vs Chaos to fully-realised deities and religious practices is part of the pulling away from alignment. A game like Ruenquest exemplified this at an early stage in fantasy RPG evolution. The first discussion of it in the D&D context that I know of is the Dragon article "For King and Country" (no 101, 1985).

I also still have my basic D&D dice from the early 80's, the ones you had to 'colour in' with a white crayon, used them in a game on Saturday in fact!

Heck, I still have my Holmes Basic 'wax dice' that came with the very very first boxed set back in 1976. Nobody will let me roll them anymore, they're completely worn out. lol. (the d6 can roll for 30 seconds easily and the most common result is 'DM decides if it is a 4 or a 6')
[MENTION=42040]Retreater[/MENTION] I don't think you're a grognard man. You have fairly enlightened attitudes towards play from what I've read ;) I'd call someone a 'grognard' who steadfastly sticks to some very early modes of play and denigrates anything not crafted by the hand of Gary Gygax or at least hailing from the mid 70's when he was last a creative force in RPGs. No doubt that also dates me, lol.

Zardnaar

Legend
Neo grognard is the term for one who likes 3E or 4E over the current edition.

Grognard is usually 1E/OD&D or B/X. Maybe 2E based on what you are doing with it.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Neo grognard is the term for one who likes 3E or 4E over the current edition.

Grognard is usually 1E/OD&D or B/X. Maybe 2E based on what you are doing with it.
I like 3.5Ed most. Does that make me a Neo.5nard? Neofnord? Pointfivenard? Deminard?

I was hoping for someone telling how they had invented a time machine and joining Napoleon's army and then surviving to become a veteran, but instead I just found a discussion on how to complain about advancements in RPG editions and technology.

Somehow I avoided that, I started with D&D (the original edition) and happily play 5e today.

Zardnaar

Legend
I like 3.5Ed most. Does that make me a Neo.5nard? Neofnord? Pointfivenard? Deminard?

I would call you a Neo Grognard;).; Same thing as the old grogs you just prefer an older edition. Neo Grognard is probably where I am I like/prefer OSR stuff but like 5E and play 5E due to what players want.

Perfect world would probably alternate game sessions.

Remove ads