New "Stranger Things" D&D Starter Set Announced

That's really freaking cool! Thanks heaps for sharing, bro.

Henry

Autoexreginated
My 1st Edition gamma world set had some very interesting dice - filled in with black paint/ink from the factory, but made out of some kind of ultra-hard, kind of brittle plastic, almost slightly glossy. I’ve never seen any other dice like them in any other set - my moldvay basic and expert sets were the soft plastic with a crayon, green in my basic set, and a sky blue for my expert sets. Does anyone else remember those kind of glossy, brittle-looking dice?

My opinion is Hasbro has reasons to try revive forgotten IPs because today there is a new gold mine in the reboot of old franchises for movies or teleseries. A good blockbuster is the best advertising for toys. D&D may become a "fat big" as Star Trek, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Marvel comics or DC superheroes. To test the right formule they need to risk with "experiments".

I guess they want to create the ultimate fantasy real-time-strategy videogame to be the Warcraft-III-killer, and the world for this may be Birthright, like a softer version of Games of Thrones. They will try a new adaptation of Dragonlance.

Stan! wrote this?? Nice.

Might be premature to say it is Greyhawk, since they were playing with the boxed Basic set.

I would think it will almost certainly not be setting specific, as most games where in 1983. Whilst The World of Greyhawk was published, I don't remember anyone actually using it. I owned it, it was dull as ditchwater and not really very useful. It had no "crunch", to use a modern term. City State of the Invincible Overlord was the only published setting I remember being actually used back then.

As cool as it being set in Greyhawk would be, just because it's not Forgotten Realms doesn't mean it even will have a setting. Considering the era Stranger Things was set in, and what little we see of what they're playing, the adventure could just be a setting-neutral dungeon.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
Stan! wrote this?? Nice.

Might be premature to say it is Greyhawk, since they were playing with the boxed Basic set.

Yeah, the 1983 Mentzer set didn't include a setting as such (the Expert set the begining town as Threshold in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos of the Known World—this setting originally appear in The Isle of Dread released earlier, though), so there could be either no setting, the Known World (what later became known as Mystara), or Greyhawk.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Yeah, the 1983 Mentzer set didn't include a setting as such (the Expert set the begining town as Threshold in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos of the Known World—this setting originally appear in The Isle of Dread released earlier, though), so there could be either no setting, the Known World (what later became known as Mystara), or Greyhawk.

I expect the setting to be "series of early 80's allusions."

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
Wait a moment! I am thinking. If this an agreement between WotC and Netflix... why not to think this is the first step? Maybe we will see Hasbro toys about some Netflix franchise, or cartoon videogames about some Hasbro's toy, for example a reboot for young adults of "Inhumanoids".

I would dare to say more things. Maybe WotC has plans with RPGs about some IP from speculative fiction, not only fantasy, but this would need a d20 Modern 2.0. and WotC is working about that.

Well Hasbro and Netflix just announced a new transformers show that's directly tying in with it's current toyline. So I think we have two examples of collaboration now.

And yes I'd quite like a rebooted D&D cartoon.

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
They updated the product descriptions slightly on Amazon:

The Stranger Things Dungeons & Dragons Starter Set contains everything players need to embark on a Stranger Things adventure including the essential rules of the roleplaying game. It's a great way for new as well as seasoned Dungeon & Dragons players to experience the D&D adventure Stranger Things character Mike Wheeler has created for his friends. Pick your character -- will you be Will the Wise or Dustin the Dwarf? Get your fireballs ready as you investigate the mysterious castle and battle the ferocious Demogorgon. Prepare for just about anything, because the game just got stranger.

So sounds like a dungeon crawl at least in part.

EDIT - NM, that was in the original description. This update just fixes some typos (like Will the Wise).

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads