THE HEROES OF DYVERS CHAPTER 7: CLARE'S ERRAND

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar looks at Respen a few times, nearly changing the course of his chant...when he finishes he sends back..."all good points Respen, but the way I figure it, if this Orc were aligned in any way with the Hill giants they would have known to be looking for us, in which case we are already in trouble...however, the Hill Giants are likely to be a thorn in their side as well. We may be able to prod a little help put of them."

Either way, people need to know about the exploits of Respen's Raiders." Sylvar gives Respen a wink and a smile, knowing he isn't fond of the moniker.

redraider629

Explorer
Thallok nods at Respen. He then turns to the Chieftain and asks "Perhaps you may be able to assist us. Do you know about any sphinx in the area? If so, can you provide us a safe passage?"

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
A Slap on the Wrist!

D71CECF1-49B1-48F0-894E-84DE7DB5F0EE.jpg

GM: Where you are is approximately 23 (I may have mis-counted, it might be 24 or 25!) hexes away from the Hochoch region, ACROSS A MOUNTAIN RANGE. 23-25 hexes is a distance of 690-750 miles! It is highly unlikely that the average nomad of this tribe knows of or cares about The Steading. However, as you are about to find out, the Chieftain is better informed than the average nomad. :cool:

The Chieftain says, "Ah, to be young and foolish again. Some of the best battles I ever got myself into were the result of my youthful incompetence and recklessness. Friend Thallok, you're not a very good listener. I asked for introductions FIRST, so that I MIGHT BE OF HELP TO YOU, meaning that I will speak, and you will listen. I DO NOT answer questions like a common servant! The only reason that you and your fellows are still alive at this point is because you amuse me. You are all quite capable, to have survived an assault against a Hill Giant settlement, especially since I have heard rumors that the giants of that region are being used as pawns by the Drow for some grand purpose."

The Chieftain pauses for effect, then continues, "My dear Respen, it is not polite to whisper messages in polite company, especially when enjoying the genuinely given hospitality of a gracious host. You have much to learn. And yes, we are wolves, little Tam, but you and your compatriots would be less of a dinner, and more of a snack. Now straighten up, all of you, and PAY ATTENTION. There are still three of you whom I have not had introductions for: the Dwarf, the red-haired warrior, and the quiet one there. All three of you shall introduce yourselves at once, and then, I shall require your utter silence, along with your complete attention. Do I make myself clear?"

The armored man next to the Chieftain (who was introduced to the party as Taii Dan, Minister of Religion) snickers gleefully at the party, taking a large swig of wine as he does so.

GM: Still need introductions for Vale, Kleborn, and Dewydd.

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
Thallok nods, and smiles "excuse my haste." He quickly looks at those who have not introduced.

Kleborn steps up, and offers up 15 gp to the table. He then turns to the Cheiftain and says "greetings, I am grateful for your hospitality. My name is Kleborn the Wolf. It is nice to see smiling faces." He then smiles back at them, sharing in their laughter.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tokwan says, "Kleborn? That name is familiar... yes, you wear the insignia of the Gray Cloak Council. You are no longer with them, I suppose? No matter. Who's next?"

Last edited:

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Respen Chafes...But Remains Silent

Respen breathes in sharply in surprise, but does his best to hide it. He remains stoic lest his intentions be misinterpreted. He nods at the Chieftain acknowledging the unintended faux pas, and he stands with his hands clasp behind his back.

And he mentally prepares himself to teleport out of the encampment should this not go well, noting the closest four (4) others that he can take with him.

With his luck, the tent might prevent that also.

He clears his mind, lest the Chieftain or the horse's ass who is chugging wine be able to read it. He doesn't hear Kleborn, nor Dewydd, nor Vale. He's listening carefully to discern any change in the Chieftain's mood. Or for anything that the Chieftain or anyone else in the tent says about the Sphinx, the undead spider, or structures in the distance.

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale Introduction To The Chieftain

Vale steps forward, gruffly.

"Chieftain, thank you for your hospitality. I am called Vale. Vale Stonegallows, formerly quartermaster in the Dwarven Order of the Red and Black, undaunted enemy of undead, formerly commissioned to Greyhawk, currently serving at-large as Cleric of the Dwarven Order of the Red and Black. At your service."

Vale suddenly doesn't like being here. He doesn't care for know-it-all chieftains or wine-drinking cronies. Reminds him of Margull, and to a lesser degree, Laramon. The release of Vale from his commission still stung. No doubt the Order put Vale's understudy into his spot. He was fine assisting Respen because ultimately, he felt Respen was good. Without a particularly strong compass from time to time, but not evil. And Vale didn't really have anything to go back to. He had been unsettled since leaving Abigail's good graces. The dragon was soothing, despite the fire-breathing thing lurking just underneath her alluring visage. He wanted to go back to his St. Cuthbert, Gus, and then he wanted to go back to Caltaran. Perhaps he would open a shop, or a forge, or perhaps assist the sheriff in law enforcement.

What he didn't want was to be here. For whatever reason. So he wished they'd get on with it.

Diarmadhim

Explorer
I nod politely before introducing myself. “I am Dewydd Moresby of Dyvers, second son of his Lordship Cadeyrn Moresby, under his Excellency, the Baron Kalinstren of Furyondy. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance.”

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Having already been introduced, and attempting to play the part of a mule or whatever, (Sylvar's thoughts) Sylvar continues playing the lute, attempting to fade into the background. All the better, he feels, to surveil the room.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tokwan's Revelation

Tokwan says, "You've all been pretty tight-lipped about your purpose here, with the exception of your mighty leader," he nods, indicating Thallok, "I figured that the Sphinx was your reason for being here. Looking at the lot of you, and the mixture of your talents, I'd say you're very accomplished, and quite proud of your skill and prowess. But let me give you some advice: sometimes, it's better to downplay your abilities, rather than to flaunt them. Your mule, for example, has not only confirmed, through his eloquent ballade, my suspicions that you were the group who attacked the Steading and upset the Drow plans, but his little magic show revealed his own powers as well, being that of a master Bard. It is obvious that Thallok here, while probably a mighty warrior in his own right, is probably not the party's leader. I'd suspect that your leader is either the renowned Gray Cloak, Kleborn, or perhaps the nobleman, Dewydd. A distant third would be Respen, although my instinct tells me that you're more of the background sort, a planner, and strategist."

Tokwan pauses, considering his words carefully, before continuing: "I don't know what business you have with The Prophet, Khubsheth, but I must warn you that he is not his usual self. He has sat at his perch for years, and has always been friendly, giving advice to all comers, sometimes for free, and sometimes for a small fee or favor in return. The reason we camp here so often is to make use of his services. We have sought his counsel for years, on many matters, from weather predictions, to questions of faith. My people have always felt free to seek him out, for any questions they might have. But three weeks ago, his demeanor changed, quite suddenly. One of my scouts went to him, to ask The Prophet's blessing on his upcoming wedding. Khubsheth said to him that a blessing must be earned, and that he would choose the contest. Before my scout could form a reply, Khubsheth announced that the test would be a show of prowess and strength; he attacked, and ripped my man in two. Since then, none have dared to venture near Khubsheth's Perch. If you choose to approach him, I can have someone show you the way, but you will be taking your life into your own hands. My people will not venture to within speaking range of The Prophet. You will be entirely on your own. If you manage to survive, then return here, to me. I might have some work for you, which would be quite profitable for both of us."

Tokwan finishes by saying, "If you have need of pack animals, I can sell you some camels at a good price. If you have need of rations and water, I can provide both for free, take as much as you'd like. We are well-supplied with food."

Your Bardic Knowledge check pays off; a result of 33 is pretty much the best result possible. (Max DC was 30.)

You recognize the symbol on the amulet around Taii Dan's neck. (Taii Dan is the armored man who was laughing as he gulped his wine.) In the priesthood of Zuoken, the amulet signifies that he is an initiate of the 14th order.

You also recognize the flute that Tokwan's bard is holding; it is a legendary instrument known as the Recorder of Life, said to have healing powers, and also said to bring its wielder unnaturally long life.

Lastly, you recognize some of the symbols on Tokwan's robes; they are of Ancient Baklunish, an all-but-dead ancient language favored by seers and sages. They represent a list of names; you know that Baklunish mages of ancient times often passed down their magical robes, from generation to generation, each new generation adding a new power to the robes, as well as adding his or her name, as a mark of both ownership and heritage. These robes have apparently seen 15 generations of ownership, because there are 15 names, Tokwan's name being the newest one.

EVERYONE: What do you do?

Last edited:

Remove ads