WOIN Growing out of a Trait

Steven Barker

First Post
If you take a trait based on your lowest attribute at character creation, do you need to keep it if you later increase that attribute so that it's no longer your lowest?

As an example, my current android character started with a 2 for INT (he's from an Ocean homeworld). Now at grade 9 he's just hit INT 6 (it's now his third lowest), but he's still technically "Distracted." Of course, I usually forget to play him that way, since he has so many more dice for perception and initiative than he did when I started playing him. When we started play at grade 4, he was rolling only 1d6 for those, and so was very oblivious, and the trait made a lot of sense. Now he rolls 6-7 dice for those.

I suspect the answer to this might vary from Trait to Trait. Maybe it's only at all plausible for any of the lowest-stat based ones to change. You certainly shouldn't stop being Ambidextrous if some other stat overtakes your AGI. But maybe you can get over your asthma, or grow out of your naiveté if your stats change sufficiently. Some might require a story hook to go with them (e.g. you got a prosthetic leg, so now you can switch away from Lame).

What do you think? Should traits be set in stone, or should a player be able to change it, when it makes sense? What do you think the mechancs should be? I think changing Trait should always be optional, not something that's ever required just because of stat changes.

I think I know how my character will break the news to the other characters. "Hey guys, I've been noticing things. Er, I didn't just notice something specific just now. I mean that I've actually been noticing lots of things, as they are relevant, rather than hours later. That's so neat!"

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I allow my players to optionally change their traits for others they qualify for when they get a new grade.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I suppose they could buy them like an exploit. Multiple free traits would be quite a power boost though.

knikpiw

Explorer
I feel that I would allow the picking up of a trait every 3-4 grades possibly without a cost. I have experienced traits as being underused. If your group loves and uses the trait all the time, there may be no need at all to get a new one. Whatever fits the group I think

Steven Barker

First Post
I suspect some of the problem with traits being underused has to do with the fact that some are just much weaker than others, mechanically speaking. I rated the different traits in a previous thread: http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?655070-WOIN-Trait-Tier-List

In our game together we have one character who does Ambidextrous shooting to good effect, and one who does lots of Reckless attacks (both traits I rate highly, in part based on that experience), but most of the rest of us with middle tier traits tend to forget them, since their impact is so small. For instance, I always need to consider if I want to give my "Distracted" bonus on some specific skill check another character is attempting (and try to think of a non-sequitur that would justify it), or whether I should save its 1/day use for later.

Remove ads