The New D&D Book Is Called "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" [UPDATED!]

It seems those who suggested that the upcoming 'nautical themed' book was based on the old Saltmarsh trilogy were correct. Ghosts of Saltmarsh is the new book, with a release date of May 21st, 2019. UPDATED WITH NEW INFORMATION ON ALT COVER & RELEASE DATES!

saltmarsh.jpg

Explore the waves above and the fathoms below in these watery adventures for the world’s greatest roleplaying game.

“D&D acolytes are everywhere...Tech workers from Silicon Valley to Brooklyn have long-running campaigns, and the showrunners and the novelist behind ‘Game of Thrones’ have all been Dungeon Masters.”—Neima Jahromi, The New Yorker

Ghosts of Saltmarsh brings classic adventures into fifth edition Dungeons & Dragons. This adventure book combines some of the most popular classic adventures from the first edition of Dungeons & Dragons including the classic “U” series, plus some of the best nautical adventures from the history of Dungeon Magazine: Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, Danger at Dunwater, Salvage Operation, Isle of the Abbey, The Final Enemy, Tammeraut’s Fate, The Styes.

• Ghosts of Salt Marsh includes a variety of seafaring adventures, enough to take characters from level 1 to level 12.

• This supplement introduces the port town of Saltmarsh, the perfect starting point for a nautical campaign.

• Each adventure can be played individually, inserted into your ongoing game or combined into a single epic nautical campaign.

• Dungeon Masters will find rules for ships and sea travel, deck plans for various vessels, an appendix with rules for new and classic monsters, and much more.

• Dungeons & Dragons is the world’s greatest roleplaying game. Created in 1974, D&D transformed gaming culture by blending traditional fantasy with miniatures and wargaming.

It's already on Amazon.

[video=youtube;GajoKmh9-68]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GajoKmh9-68[/video]

Updates!
WotC has just announced the book. Full press release below, but a couple of key points:
  • There's an alternate cover (below)
  • Preferred stores and regular stores get it on the same date, instead of WPN stores getting it early

Sail the Seas in Dungeons & Dragons with Ghosts of Saltmarsh Adventure Releasing Everywhere May 21

Renton, WA – February 25, 2019 – Dungeons & Dragons is excited to announce a new adventure book called Ghosts of Saltmarsh, which takes classic sea-faring adventures and updates and expands upon them for use with D&D fifth edition. The book details the port town of Saltmarsh and the surrounding lands players can explore using their own ship and the vehicle mechanics included in the 256-page book. Unravel sinister secrets of the sea with Ghosts of Saltmarsh releasing in game stores, digitally and everywhere on May 21, 2019. An alternate art cover with a distinctive design and soft-touch finish is available exclusively in game stores on May 21.

“The Saltmarsh series consistently ranks as one of the most popular classic D&D adventures,” said Mike Mearls, franchise creative director of D&D. “With its ties to ocean-based adventuring, it was an obvious step to augment it with additional sea-based adventures and a robust set of rules for managing a nautical campaign.”

The book includes details on the port town of Saltmarsh, as well as plenty of adventure hooks for each chapter. Fans can play through the whole story in a seafaring campaign leading characters from level 1 through level 12, while Dungeon Masters can easily pull out sections to place in ongoing campaigns in any setting. The appendices cover mechanics for ship-to-ship combat, new magic items, monsters and more!

Ghosts of Saltmarsh will be available both in game stores and everywhere else on the same date – May 21st. Fans are encouraged to pick up the adventure in the way that’s most convenient for them, but there is an alternate art soft-touch cover that will only be available in game stores. The alternate cover image was created by N. C. Winters and features a snarling sahuagin.

For more information on Ghosts of Saltmarsh and all things D&D, please go to dungeonsanddragons.com and check out the breadth of live D&D programming and interviews available on twitch.tv/dnd. You can also listen to interviews involving Ghosts of Saltmarsh as well as D&D mechanics and lore on Dragon Talk, the official D&D podcast.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh combines some of the most popular classic adventures from the first edition of Dungeons & Dragons including the classic ‘U’ series, plus some of the best nautical adventures from the history of DungeonMagazine:

• The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
  • Danger at Dunwater
  • The Final Enemy
  • Salvage Operation
  • Isle of the Abbey
  • Tammeraut’s Fate
  • The Styes
All adventures have been faithfully adapted to the fifth edition rules of Dungeons & Dragons. Furthermore, this book includes details on the port town of Saltmarsh, as well as plenty of adventure hooks for each chapter. Play through the whole story in a seafaring campaign leading characters from level 1 through level 12, or Dungeon Masters can easily pull out sections to place in ongoing campaigns in any setting. The appendices also cover mechanics for ship-to-ship combat, new magic items, monsters, and more!
[h=3]WHERE CAN I BUY IT?[/h]Unravel sinister secrets of the sea with Ghosts of Saltmarsh releasing in game stores, digitally and everywhere on May 21, 2019. An alternate art cover with a distinctive design and soft-touch finish is available exclusively in game stores on May 21.

Price:[FONT=&amp] $49.95 [/FONT]
Release Date: [FONT=&amp]21 May, 2019 [/FONT]
Format:[FONT=&amp] Hardcover

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]
saltmarsh_alt.jpg

saltmarsh_keyart.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Hussar

Legend
Certainly successful computer games and novels where what initially propelled FR past Greyhawk, but that raises additional questions: Why did SSI choose FR for the Gold Box games? Why was the breakthrough D&D novel (The Crystal Shard) set in FR?

Umm, the Dragonlance novels were the breakthrough D&D novel quite a few years before The Crystal Shard. The DL novels were incredibly popular for a number of years.

There's already a lot of pirate-oriented content out there and if Freeport or Razor Coast ever get ported to 5E, there will be even more of it.
IF they’re updated you mean.
If Frog God Games or Green Ronin were going to, they already would have. And updating from Pathfinder is more for experienced DMs.
Regardless... an official D&D product likely sells an order of magnitude more copies as those books, reaching ten times as many gamers.

Not being familiar with the original adventures, I wonder if I should start now trying to figure out how to handle underwater breathing assistance in such a way that the half-aquatic elf* in the party can still feel special in an underwater adventure. Obviously the whole party should get to be there, but there needs to be something in the way it goes to make having natural water-breathing capability be a plus.

I suppose I could require attunement for any water-breathing items, and overload the party with attuneable items so it eats up a precious attunement slot the half-elf doesn't have to use...if I wanted to create a perfect example of a solution that is worse than the problem.

Umm, the Dragonlance novels were the breakthrough D&D novel quite a few years before The Crystal Shard. The DL novels were incredibly popular for a number of years.

Yep. My friend and I disagreed over whether Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance had more novels. I thought that it was Dragonlance for sure, and he was certain it was Forgotten Realms.

Well, it turns out we were both kind of right (although he was more right than me). At the time I was following AD&D there were a ton of DL novels and much fewer FR novels. But afterwards, at the time when he was into AD&D and 3e, is when FR novels overtook and surpassed DL.

Dragonlance used to be the D&D novel line, with anything else just a bit of dabbling.

*Yeah, I realize the official aquatic half-elf doesn't get water-breathing, but that is ridiculous, so I overruled it.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
IF they’re updated you mean.
If Frog God Games or Green Ronin were going to, they already would have. And updating from Pathfinder is more for experienced DMs.
Regardless... an official D&D product likely sells an order of magnitude more copies as those books, reaching ten times as many gamers.
Razor Coast's situation is pretty complicated, I suspect, between its path to publication and the sheer bulk of it. But with Pathfinder going through a tricky moment, it wouldn't be a huge shock to see Frog God to shift that way.

Green Ronin is trying to make a go of it with AGE, so may not be interested at all. I was disappointed they dropped the systemless version of Freeport in favor of updating the timeline with a Pathfinder core book (and held onto my systemless core book for that reason). If they decide they need an infusion of cash, though, I think 5E Freeport is likely something they have in their back pocket, if they need it. I mean, they came out with Book of the Righteous 5E, of all things, which is available at my local Barnes & Noble alongside all their AGE games. (There's probably a market for all of their AGE games in 5E, especially Game of Thrones, if they still have the license, but that would mean kind of giving up on their own system, which would likely be a tough pill to swallow.)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Not being familiar with the original adventures, I wonder if I should start now trying to figure out how to handle underwater breathing assistance in such a way that the half-aquatic elf* in the party can still feel special in an underwater adventure.
Without spoiling anything, there's a hell of a good roleplaying hook in U1 for that character.

All I can assume is that, despite my own lukewarm feelings on it, Tales from the Yawning Portal sold really well (and/or was sufficiently cheap to make) that they identified that format as revisiting. I'd think it was lazy to re-use old adventures, but you might argue this way they have the benefit of being able to pick the most beloved ones, rather than gambling on a new one being as beloved. As per their usual wide net strategy, they've added just enough crunchy bits on top to attract DMs who might not be able to justify a pure adventure compendium.
Say what ya will about this “updated compilation” format, but I kinda like it! It lets me get copies of old stories I don’t have, but redesigned for modern rules. I think it’s a nice change of pace from the mega adventures (which are often a bit daunting). I really like the shorter adventures—good for mining ideas or plunking into casual games.

The Glen

Legend
Yep. My friend and I disagreed over whether Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance had more novels. I thought that it was Dragonlance for sure, and he was certain it was Forgotten Realms.

Well, it turns out we were both kind of right (although he was more right than me). At the time I was following AD&D there were a ton of DL novels and much fewer FR novels. But afterwards, at the time when he was into AD&D and 3e, is when FR novels overtook and surpassed DL.

Towards the end of TSR they were churning out novels, mostly FR. And a large amount of them were drek. Extremely formulaic, lots of famous cameos there to just add a name brand to the book, and very little in the way of actual substance. Dragonlance was huge in its day though, until the Realms just shoved everything out of the way at the end. They got the new modules, most of the video games and became a constant source of splatbooks. They've got 30+ video games set there, the next nearest is Mystara with seven.

Interesting, rather different than what most of us imagined. By that, I think it is safe to say the general assumption was a 'nautical stuff' book with mainly monsters, campaign ideas, and ship rules; this appears more like an adventure compendium with probably 20-40 pages of ship stuff appended to it, which is also very useful but certainly different.

All I can assume is that, despite my own lukewarm feelings on it, Tales from the Yawning Portal sold really well (and/or was sufficiently cheap to make) that they identified that format as revisiting. I'd think it was lazy to re-use old adventures, but you might argue this way they have the benefit of being able to pick the most beloved ones, rather than gambling on a new one being as beloved. As per their usual wide net strategy, they've added just enough crunchy bits on top to attract DMs who might not be able to justify a pure adventure compendium.
That and it’s easy.
They did four books last year, with three being in the fall. They did a book a month for a while. This was their break, as they just needed to update and do a quarter of the work of making a full book.

Gorath99

Explorer
Think I'll run this in Dark Sun on the Sea of Silt. Bet they wont include ideas on how to do that!!
Not knowing any of the adventures listed, here's my attempt. :) Don't use the Sea of Silt, but instead the Last Sea. Have a Mind Lord go rogue to explain anything in the adventures that wouldn't normally make sense in Dark Sun.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases