The New D&D Book Is Called "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" [UPDATED!] - Page 19
Page 19 of 28 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    No hard stats for the entire community, but I think there are are some stats on what's being played online in certain places (though I don't know where).
    Id be curious to see what the statistics look like for D&D through the years. For example how many units shipped per edition compared to how many peole are playing which edition today. I'm sure its impossible data to compile but I wonder if theres merit to D&D is bigger than ever when compared to inflation and population increase. No doubt its more accessible but bigger who knows?

Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Oh, sweet summer child... Gamers tend not to be reasonable or forgiving (a little more time on these boards will illustrate that).

It, from my understanding, is to build up anticipation and excitement of the next product without further products detracting from that. It's a slow hype train.
    I recall Mearls once answered this very question by saying that a few months of concentrated hype were the best way to keep people engaged and excited to buy each book sequentially. Also, plans change, best not to get tied down.
    XP MNblockhead, Azzy, 77IM gave XP for this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by cmad1977 View Post
    Pretty sure its near Solace.
    I heard it was just outside Balic.

Quote Originally Posted by R_J_K75 View Post
    Can anyone shed any light on why WotC is so secretive as to what their releasing any given year for 5E? Editions past you knew what was coming well in advanced. Now they give us minimal bits and pieces for one product, and then announce something after the first is released with little detail. I dont see why they dont come out at the beginning of the year saying we are planning to release this?
    As far as I can tell, because of two reasons:

1. Bleep happens. In the early days of 5e (damn, it feels weird to say that), someone got their hands on a solicitation meant for retailers that had an Adventurer's Handbook hardback in it, meant for concurrent release with Princes of the Apocalypse. That never materialized in that form - instead we got the Elemental Evil Player's Companion released as a free PDF with POD options on DM's Guild. When asked why it was cancelled, the devs said "That was never announced, and we can't cancel something we haven't announced." They've been distinctly more cagey about future releases since. Given the really late release date, my guess is that something has held up the release of this, and you can imagine what these boards would have looked like if we had been told about a March release and then been informed that no, it's going to be released in May instead.

2. Hype. Their marketing team has shown that it's hard to maintain interest in a future product for months upon months, so nowadays they announce product about three months in advance, with maybe a month or two of small teasers before that.
    XP bedir than, Prakriti, GreyLord, 77IM, MNblockhead gave XP for this post

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Quote Originally Posted by Staffan View Post
    I heard it was just outside Balic.
    I thought it was Northeast of Specularum.
    Laugh Staffan laughed with this post

Titan (Lvl 27)

Quote Originally Posted by Staffan View Post
    As far as I can tell, because of two reasons:

1. Bleep happens. In the early days of 5e (damn, it feels weird to say that), someone got their hands on a solicitation meant for retailers that had an Adventurer's Handbook hardback in it, meant for concurrent release with Princes of the Apocalypse. That never materialized in that form - instead we got the Elemental Evil Player's Companion released as a free PDF with POD options on DM's Guild. When asked why it was cancelled, the devs said "That was never announced, and we can't cancel something we haven't announced." They've been distinctly more cagey about future releases since. Given the really late release date, my guess is that something has held up the release of this, and you can imagine what these boards would have looked like if we had been told about a March release and then been informed that no, it's going to be released in May instead.

2. Hype. Their marketing team has shown that it's hard to maintain interest in a future product for months upon months, so nowadays they announce product about three months in advance, with maybe a month or two of small teasers before that.
    Pretty much all of this.

The level of vitriol that gets tossed WotC's way if they are anything but 100% accurate with every prediction is mind blowing. Every missed deadline would be yet more people crowing from the rooftops that 5e is DOOOOMMMED.

Much, MUCH better this way.
    XP Azzy, Parmandur, Quickleaf, EthanSental, Birmy gave XP for this post

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Quote Originally Posted by Demetrios1453 View Post
    So given a likely page count of 224 - 256, somewhere around 50 -75 pages for the base setting and for rules and bestiary. Not too shabby, although I would always like to have more room for monsters!
    I believe it has already been confirmed to be 256 pages

Defender (Lvl 8)

Im not a big fan of monsters that come out in the 3rd or 4th book of monster cause like in pathfinder and even older editions of D&D, these monsters are less used, fringe and werent popular or good enough to make it into the earlier books. I am glad that WoTC is doing them like this though and have them tied to the adventure/book, handful of monsters, naval stuff...mix of everything instead of a 100% book of monsters in a bestiary that only has 5% that Ill use.....new format works for me as a DM and as an enthusiast!

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Quote Originally Posted by EthanSental View Post
    Im not a big fan of monsters that come out in the 3rd or 4th book of monster cause like in pathfinder and even older editions of D&D, these monsters are less used, fringe and werent popular or good enough to make it into the earlier books. I am glad that WoTC is doing them like this though and have them tied to the adventure/book, handful of monsters, naval stuff...mix of everything instead of a 100% book of monsters in a bestiary that only has 5% that Ill use.....new format works for me as a DM and as an enthusiast!
    I really liked the loose leaf 2E Monstrous Compendiums. I still have all of them in one huge binder. I really miss some of the detail thats since been omitted from 3E-5E, especially the ecology & habitat entries. The Spelljammer MC had some cool monsters, the one that acted like Alien from the movie was great. Killed more than a few PCs with that one. Think I even took out a whole party.
    XP EthanSental gave XP for this post

Quote Originally Posted by qstor View Post
    I like a lot of the other posters are carving for a Greyhawk setting book
    I suspect it's more like a very small number of posters making a lot of noise...

(Quite frankly, there is good reason FR overtook Greyhawk in popularity).
    XP EthanSental gave XP for this post