The New D&D Book Is Called "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" [UPDATED!] - Page 22
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Quote Originally Posted by R_J_K75 View Post
    Question! Ive never played any of these adventures except for the Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh, but that was when I was 7 so I dont remember. Do the players need to be able to breathe water for an extended period of time at any points in any of these modules?
    Yes, but they provide the necessary resources for that. Especially for groups running this new hardcover, I can't imagine it'll be an issue, since every adventure that goes underwater even briefly will provide something to help out with that.

I'm sure I'm not the first to notice there's something very Cthulhu-esque about that cover. I mean, if that's a kraken, why is it way up in the air? There's a very natural serendipity between the horror-tinged coastal adventures of the U-series and tales of the "Shadow Over Innsmouth" variety. Not to mention that recent products like Tomb of Annihilation have demonstrated that WoTC is willing to blend earlier works to create something new by combining Tomb of Horrors, essentially, with Dwellers in the Forbidden City. I'm wondering if we're going to see an adventure that mixes in Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh with Last Breath of Ashenport and some other stuff to give us something very Lovecraftian.
    Last edited by pauldanieljohnson; Wednesday, 27th February, 2019 at 08:11 PM.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

I ran a seafaring campaign where the PCs were looking for a shipwreck/sunken treasure. I refused to give my players inexhaustible means to breathe water. To me that seemed too easy, but they expected to walk into a town and buy magical items and spells by the dozens. Dont get me wrong I gave them options but they were less conventional, and didnt allow the entire group to do dives at their leisure for however long they wanted. I made them use their heads and utilize the resources they had available.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere but...
    Dungeons & Dragons' Confirms 'Ghosts of Saltmarsh' Will Be Non-Setting Specific

https://comicbook-com.cdn.ampproject...sh-greyhawk%2F

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Quote Originally Posted by oreofox View Post
    @Demetrios1453 and @Parmandur : I didn't read any of the monster lore because as I stated, they were useless to me as I have my own lore for my own setting. And I figured they were FR focused since EVERY other book released has been (adventures minus Strahd, SCAG). Giving them names of Greyhawk characters really means nothing. So I made a mistake, but like I said, I didn't read the lore because it's rather useless to me. It's good to know it isn't FR focused, though.
    Sorry that is a terrible system. You don't know the lore is useless to you until you read it. It may have some ideas you like that your monsters could have.

Magsman (Lvl 14)

Quote Originally Posted by R_J_K75 View Post
    Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere but...
    Dungeons & Dragons' Confirms 'Ghosts of Saltmarsh' Will Be Non-Setting Specific

https://comicbook-com.cdn.ampproject...sh-greyhawk%2F
    The interview was already posted. Kate says the book will have info on how to plop it into most settings, including details on it's original setting Greyhawk.
    XP MNblockhead gave XP for this post

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Quote Originally Posted by MonsterEnvy View Post
    The interview was already posted. Kate says the book will have info on how to plop it into most settings, including details on it's original setting Greyhawk.
    Think I'll run this in Dark Sun on the Sea of Silt. Bet they wont include ideas on how to do that!!
    Laugh Azzy, Gradine, Lidgar, EthanSental, vecna00 laughed with this post

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Quote Originally Posted by EthanSental View Post
    Im not a big fan of monsters that come out in the 3rd or 4th book of monster cause like in pathfinder and even older editions of D&D, these monsters are less used, fringe and werent popular or good enough to make it into the earlier books.
    Monster books are an odd duck. Usually, the mechanical quality of the monsters increase as an edition gets older (because the designers get better at making monsters), but the quality of their concepts go down (because all the good ideas got used early).
    XP EthanSental gave XP for this post

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Quote Originally Posted by Staffan View Post
    Monster books are an odd duck. Usually, the mechanical quality of the monsters increase as an edition gets older (because the designers get better at making monsters), but the quality of their concepts go down (because all the good ideas got used early).
    I never gave it much thought let alone compared them but what changed from 2E to 3E? Think they released more MM in 2E allowing for longer entries thus fleshing out creatures better over the life of the edition? Starting in 3E the entries became more combat orientated and got rid of the other portions that made them unique outside of a combat emcounter. Wish theyd bring that back without doing 12 pages on goblins like the latest Volos Guide.

Pit Fiend (Lvl 26)

Having been reading Twitter, I've discovered a pretty big problem with this book: the absence of pirates. People want pirates. When this was announced I saw a number of people excited by the idea of a sailing campaign and possible piratical PCs. But this isn't that. The first three sessions underwater adjacent or inland. Others take place in and around islands. There may only be a couple encounters that take place on a ship.I expect a lot of new players will be really disappointed by this adventurer, going into it thinking one thing and then discovering it's something else entirely...
    Read my webcomic & blog at:
    http://www.5mwd.com
    XP MNblockhead gave XP for this post
    Laugh Lidgar, jasper laughed with this post