Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

Do you want Greyhawk updated to 5e?

• Yes! Greyhawk should be updated to the current edition.

Votes: 92 56.4%
  • No! That sounds like a terrible idea.

Votes: 40 24.5%
  • I refuse to answer polls that value my opinion.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other (will explain the comments why I can't answer yes or no to a yes or no question)

Votes: 24 14.7%

• Poll closed .
I will say that I'm more than a bit tired of everything taking place in FR. It's just tiresome that everything defaults to being not just in FR, but in the same region in FR especially when so many of the modules are apocalyptic in nature.

Like I seriously can't believe that the last two module books decided to focus on Waterdeep when everything we've already had has essentially started there. Even Curse of Strahd assumes that you're coming from FR around Waterdeep, as I recall.

There's a reason we took a break for a year to play pulpy sci-fi in Savage Worlds.

I wonder about if D&D multiverse needs something like crisis on infinite earths or 2015 secret wars by Marvel comics. But a reboot each new edition has its own risks. (do you remember the spellplague and the sundering?) I guess if there is one and it is canon, it would linked with the grand conjunction of Ravenloft and Vecna, god of secrets and Kas the vampire who betrayed him.

My suggestion to try fix this is to recover the time spheres from AD&D Chronomancer. This would allow new doors to create more different stories.

* Where could I find lore about the oriental lands from Oerth? The Greyhawk wiki doesn't help me too much about this.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I wonder about if D&D multiverse needs something like crisis on infinite earths or 2015 secret wars by Marvel comics.

No, thank you. Between the Greyhawk Wars, the Time of Troubles, the 5th Age, Wrath of the Immortals, the Spellplague, the Age of Mortals, the Sundering, and whatever else I may be missing, world shattering cataclyms to established settings are rarely (if ever) a good thing—most often, they just suck.

* Where could I find lore about the oriental lands from Oerth? The Greyhawk wiki doesn't help me too much about this.

There really isn't much information outside of name drops from a map of the Oerth and accompanying annotations in an issue of Dragon magazine, (extremely) brief mentions in the Gord the Rogue series, and a one-off reference in the Expedition to Ruins of Greyhawk. There might be a couple, even less substantial, reference elsewhere, but there is nothing from the official sources that provide any modicum of detail. I'm sure there's some fan-created content, though, but it's been a while since I've looked for any.

Last edited:

ParanoydStyle

Peace Among Worlds
I voted "Other" because in a perfect world I would like WotC to pay ME to help update Greyhawk to 5E.

If that doesn't happen (I'm not holding my breath), as a consolation prize I would be equally happy with WotC updating Greyhawk to 5E or doing it myself.

Update is a word that seems to need some unpacking so...personally, if I was able to work on "Greyhawk 5E", I would GRADUALLY introduce SOME of the immense menagerie of D&D content created since the 70s/80s to the Greyhawk setting in a way that makes sense...what I would NOT do is turn it into another "anything goes" fantasy kitchen sink a la Forgotten Realms.

If the question was in fact "is publishing a Greyhawk 5E setting book strictly necessary" the answer is no, of course it isn't. Most any Greyhawk material can easily be converted to 5E in homebrew or even on the fly. I am doing it literally as we speak. But it would be nice to see Wizards give the setting some love, as long as they don't somehow manage to ruin it.

smbakeresq

Explorer
Yes. Own all Greyhawk, play it all. Playing Age of Worms now with kids, when done they will be Lvl 21 + (or dead) and be rulers of Redhand in Bandit Kingdoms and will move on to realm play.

Pauln6

Hero
I'd like new Greyhawk material: modules, updated npcs, clerical sub-classes, updated magical items, gazetteer entries for previously unused locations etc. I'm not too fussed about a new sourcebook that just retreads the same basic locations again.

Magister Ludorum

Adventurer
I vote no.

I currently run a game set in Nyrond 591 (Living Greyhawk Gazetteer era). If my players weren't already familiar with that era from Living Greyhawk days, I would have gone with the original folio. I prefer worlds that leave plenty of room for my own interpretation and creation.

I don't need Greyahwk specific rules.

I am convinced that any updating of the world by WotC would result in destroying the setting. I still shudder over the Spell Plague and the Sundering. Does anyone need a nation of dragonborn replacing the Tilvanot Peninsula?

In short, I don't trust them.

I would be happy to see the setting allowed on dmsguild so long as nothing published there was official.

I needed Eberron, only because Eberron has setting specific rules that needed updating. Same with Dark Sun.

Shiroiken

Legend
I wouldn't mind seeing some updates for Greyhawk, but it would have to be done carefully. On the PC side of things, I would limit races (and sub-races), possibly classes (or at least sub-classes) and have set multi-classing options. I would also provide a section on how the DM can incorporate removed races/sub-races/classes/sub-classes if they desire, but they are not considered standard. On the DM side of things, certain optional rules should be suggested, such as the slower healing rate. The timeline should be based on the original 576 CY (as Gygax intended), but with a section of "alternate futures" that could be drawn upon if desired. Oh, and most definitely the book should have adventure hooks out the wazhoo, all left open for the DM to complete.

A single DM's Guild product would be sufficient for me, but I would love to see a series of gazetteers that expand outward from the Flanaess to the rest of Oerth, especially if they can get permission to use Aquarius as the western coast of Oerik.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases