Miniature scale creep is out of control!!!!!

wefeleb

First Post
A new[old] miniature manufacturer is Iron Wind Metals, formerly Ral Partha. They still have many older sculpts that are close to true 25mm scale, and still pretty affordable relative to most metal & plastics today.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
It is [MENTION=6588]pogre[/MENTION]'s fault. :)

Well, okay, it is the fault of miniature painting hobby. As folks became better at miniature painting and they wanted more detailed sculpts. Larger minis are easier to paint and appreciate a good paint job.

And Games Workshop seems to be the ones to really push this with their Warhammer line. At least that's what I remember from the 80s when the Warhammer stuff just blew everyone else out of the water, the magazines had great painting tutorials, and their fans spent crazy amounts of money and time making some fabulous looking armies.

As much as I love miniatures and would like to relearn to paint them, I just don't have the time these days. I mostly use 2D paper miniatures, which scale noticeably larger than 25mm scale. But I'm not going for realism. As long as I can accurately determine distance and range for DnD 5e purposes, I don't worry too much about proper scale.

Saves money when you can buy buckets of plastic monsters from Amazon or cut out 2D paper minis.

Last edited:

Thanks! I live in the PNW, but I haven't been able to find anyone stocking the line locally.

I'm still a little nervous buying things on-line, strangely enough. I really like looking at and holding the product before I buy it.

This will also be good for calibrating my expectations on scale with my 3D printer as far as cavalry goes. The cavalry that I've put together just doesn't look quite right.

pogre

Legend
Thanks! I live in the PNW, but I haven't been able to find anyone stocking the line locally.

I'm still a little nervous buying things on-line, strangely enough. I really like looking at and holding the product before I buy it.

This will also be good for calibrating my expectations on scale with my 3D printer as far as cavalry goes. The cavalry that I've put together just doesn't look quite right.

I do not know if this is reassuring to you, but I have ordered from Noble Knight online several times and it has always been great.

I have not ordered online from Michigan Toy for many, many years. Nice guys though - I usually buy a ton of stuff from them at Adepticon.

If you have a decent FLGS, they should be able to order the product line through Stevens International hobby distributors.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases