The Orville- My One Big Issue

Ryujin

Legend
Personally, I can find several references to this on IMDB, documentary blurbs, and other similar sources, but none cite actual sources, so it COULD be apocryphal. If it did happen, it was probably those stations situated in the more rural/conservative areas.

I’d be surprised if it EVER aired in Vidor, Tx., for instance...

I found at least a half dozen such statements but, given that they are worded remarkably similarly, you may well be right.

Personally, I can find several references to this on IMDB, documentary blurbs, and other similar sources, but none cite actual sources, so it COULD be apocryphal. If it did happen, it was probably those stations situated in the more rural/conservative areas.

George Takei stated that the episode was blocked by some stations in the south in this interview: https://www.radiotimes.com/news/201...there-werent-any-gay-characters-in-star-trek/

A couple of other sources reference interviews with Nichelle Nichols, or her autobiography.

Other than quotes like this, I'm not sure what proof would exist in writing. TV stations are unlikely to publicize it and hold onto the stigma of intentionally holding back the first interracial kiss on TV (even if it actually wasn't), and viewers wouldn't be likely to know it was blocked. Plus, the nature of syndicated TV at the time made it very normal for individual stations to change broadcasts, so one branch not airing a low-rated sci-fi show would hardly be newsworthy to a newspaper.

Remove ads