Sneak Peek At Ghosts of Saltmarsh Maps - Page 19
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223 LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 222
  1. #181
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Hussar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    22,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Farquhar View Post
    LOL

    Look at that thread you posted. Virtually every single map in that thread, nearly all of them, are oriented north to the top. Granted there's no compass rose on most of them, but, then again, lacking a compass rose, the presumption is always north to the top because that's the standard way maps are drawn.

    Anyway, like I said, this has got to be the absolute weirdest conversation I've ever had on En World.

    @Azzy - you have not one, but actually multiple atlases where most of the maps in the atlas are not north to the top? Link please? Because, well, buddy, you found the unicorn. I'm not saying no map is ever done that way. I'm saying it's very, very much an outlier to not do them that way.

    @Prakriti - WTF? Scary/foreign/unusual? Ooookay.

    I'll note that not a single person here who is so adamant to prove me wrong has taken up my challenge. C'mon, let's see these examples of RPG books where the majority of maps are not north to the top. Should be easy peasy for smart folks like you. You seem to be so sure that north to the top isn't typical or usual, so, let's get those examples rolling in. It's easy to make unsubstantiated claims and whatnot. Time to pee or get off the pot. Give me a SINGLE example of an RPG product where the majority of the maps is not oriented north to the top.


  2. #182
    Member




    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Las Cruces, NM
    Posts
    394
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    LOL

    Look at that thread you posted. Virtually every single map in that thread, nearly all of them, are oriented north to the top. Granted there's no compass rose on most of them, but, then again, lacking a compass rose, the presumption is always north to the top because that's the standard way maps are drawn.

    Anyway, like I said, this has got to be the absolute weirdest conversation I've ever had on En World.

    @Azzy - you have not one, but actually multiple atlases where most of the maps in the atlas are not north to the top? Link please? Because, well, buddy, you found the unicorn. I'm not saying no map is ever done that way. I'm saying it's very, very much an outlier to not do them that way.

    @Prakriti - WTF? Scary/foreign/unusual? Ooookay.

    I'll note that not a single person here who is so adamant to prove me wrong has taken up my challenge.
    It's not about proving anyone right or wrong (since clearly you are prone to exaggeration). It is that you are so adamant in your pendantry that it is redictulous.

    Yes, lots of maps are oriented with North at "the top". However, lots of maps aren't. This "norm" you are so pedantic about is weird to anyone that studies history. Basically it shows how pervasive Google maps are and how some people are so easily manipulated into believing "THE TRUTH" instead of accepting that not ever convention works for every application. I would much prefer that map makers make best use of the medium and the space they have than conform to some arbitrary convention that is your personal hobgoblin.

    A rosette is enough of an indicator.

    Here are some ideas to chew on:

    The biggest factors that contribute to north being commonly placed at the top of a map include the invention of the compass and the understanding of magnetic north and the egocentricity of society, mainly in Europe.

    In the history of mapmaking, the general rule of thumb is whoever made the map is probably at the center or the top of it.

    Many cartographers show what they want to be the focus at the top of the map, and, therefore, influence the orientation of the map.

    Basically your north at the top bias is just that -- a personal bias.
    XP Azzy, Remathilis gave XP for this post

  3. #183
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

    Azzy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St.Aug, FL
    Posts
    1,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    @Azzy - you have not one, but actually multiple atlases where most of the maps in the atlas are not north to the top? Link please? Because, well, buddy, you found the unicorn. I'm not saying no map is ever done that way. I'm saying it's very, very much an outlier to not do them that way.
    Link? I'd have to scan the bloody things! If I even still had them—they're from the 80s. But, yeah, if you're so incredulous that they'd have maps of the U.S., Canada, Eutope, etc. fit the page rather than have North oriented to the top than go to a library where they may have some older atlases lying around and look at them.
    Last edited by Azzy; Tuesday, 16th April, 2019 at 11:25 PM.

  4. #184
    Member
    Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

    Azzy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    St.Aug, FL
    Posts
    1,721
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    @Azzy - you have not one, but actually multiple atlases where most of the maps in the atlas are not north to the top? Link please? Because, well, buddy, you found the unicorn. I'm not saying no map is ever done that way. I'm saying it's very, very much an outlier to not do them that way.
    Link? I'd have to scan the bloody things! If I even still had them—they're from the 80s. But, yeah, if you're so incredulous that they'd have maps of the U.S., Canada, Eutope, etc. fit the page rather than have North oriented to the top than go to a library where they may have some older atlases lying around and look at them.

  5. #185
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hollywood FL
    Posts
    1,080

    Sneak Peek At Ghosts of Saltmarsh Maps

    Try this book fellows, The World Through Maps, A History of Cartography:

    https://www.google.com/search?q=the+...kkQyNoBCJoBKAA

  6. #186
    Member
    Titan (Lvl 27)

    Hussar's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Fukuoka, Japan
    Posts
    22,951
    So you folks read books printed on a Gutenberg press huh? The last three or four hundred years of map making apparently isn’t good enough to set the standard.

    Did it used to be different? Sure. No argument. But, again, I’ll be waiting for your Rpg book examples. Still.

    I mean if it’s so easy to find examples then show me. I’ll gladly eat crow. Heck the one link to maps so far was 100% wrong. Look at Dyson Logos’ patreon page and you’ll see that his maps are almost always oriented the standard way.

    Are there exceptions? Sure. I never said there weren’t. But, there’s no denying that this is the standard.

  7. #187
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hollywood FL
    Posts
    1,080
    I love reading print books, I own several over 100+ years old. I don’t have a Gutenberg books, I can’t afford them.

    As as standards, the vast majority have the rose oriented towards the top of the page with that being north. If a map covers 2 pages and the book is meant to be turned to view the map then it is oriented that way.

    The creator of the map and his belief system control this however. It doesn’t really matter unless the orientation of the map itself is trying to tell you something about the beliefs of the creator.

  8. #188
    Member
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)



    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Hollywood FL
    Posts
    1,080
    Look up Mike Schley to buy his maps from the website, I am glad I did for PoTA.

  9. #189
    Member
    Lama (Lvl 13)



    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    814
    I am largely uninterested in the discussion of whether the orientation of a D&D needs to be north or not . I don't mind one way or the other. Other people do mind. Sort of sums the discussion for me.

    But it did get me interested in the topic of why maps through history tended to be oriented as they were. I was fascinated to discover that many maps used to have east at the top. And how compasses led to the frequent modern north orientation (as others mentioned in this thread)

    So I thought I'd share this interesting web page on the topic

    https://geog.ucsb.edu/why-is-north-up-on-maps/

    AD
    XP SkidAce, LordEntrails gave XP for this post

  10. #190
    Member
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)



    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Surrey, UK
    Posts
    2,070
    Quote Originally Posted by Hussar View Post
    LOL

    Look at that thread you posted. Virtually every single map in that thread, nearly all of them, are oriented north to the top. Granted there's no compass rose on most of them, but, then again, lacking a compass rose, the presumption is always north to the top because that's the standard way maps are drawn.
    No, they are shown without a compass rose so they can be used in whatever orientation the DM chooses - if it even matters.

    The only person "presuming north is at the top" is you.
    most
    You keep changing your own argument. First you say "all", then you said "99%", and now you are saying "most". "Most" I agree with. Loose the hyperbole and your argument becomes much stronger.

    Give me a SINGLE example of an RPG product where the majority of the maps is not oriented north to the top.
    Challenge accepted: https://www.paizo.com/starfinder
    Last edited by Paul Farquhar; Wednesday, 17th April, 2019 at 07:41 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Dragon Talk Interview with Kate Welch re Ghosts of Saltmarsh
    By Volund in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: Monday, 11th March, 2019, 02:09 AM
  2. The New D&D Book Is Called "Ghosts of Saltmarsh" [UPDATED!]
    By Morrus in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 270
    Last Post: Tuesday, 5th March, 2019, 10:50 PM
  3. B&G's Sinister Silver Edition of Ghosts of Saltmarsh
    By Morrus in forum *Dungeons & Dragons
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Tuesday, 5th March, 2019, 04:12 PM
  4. New Sneak Peek at Green's Guide to Ghosts
    By Prest0 in forum *General Roleplaying Games Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Tuesday, 15th March, 2005, 04:06 PM
  5. Replies: 10
    Last Post: Monday, 13th September, 2004, 05:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •