Goodman Games' Next Reincarnation Is Expedition To The Barrier Peaks

Following on from Into the Borderlands and The Isle of Dread, Goodman Games is next bringing 1980's sci-fantasy adventure Expedition to the Barrier Peaks to D&D 5th Edition.

OAR-3-mockup.jpg

Announced at Gary Con this weekend, Expedition is due out in September. Like the others in the Original Adventures Reincarnated series, it contains the original module, handouts, and an updated 5E version.

The adventure features a crashed spaceship, robots, ray guns, and plant people.

You can find out more directly from GG's website here.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I never bought anything from Goodman Games until their Keep in the Borderlands book. Not only have I now bought two expensive TTRPG books from them because of this series, but it also introduced the company to me and created a lot of Goodwill. I skipped their Lankmar kickstarted because it wasn't 5e, but my experiences with the quality of this series made me take the time to look into DCC and to sign up for a Lankhmar game at a recent convention and I'm pretty sure I'll be buying their Lankhmar setting when it is released. I also discovered that they were selling the old Grimtooth Traps books (I don't believe they were the original publishers, but don't remember) and bought the PDF versions. I have not bought any of their 5th edition fantasy adventure modules, but they are now on my RADAR.

Not sure if I'm at all representative of their new customers, but if I am, not only did the book sell very well itself, it lead to purchases of their other material and greatly increased their brand recognition and goodwill.

Good man was not the original publisher, they got their start in early OGL 3E days: Mike Mearls got his start writing 3E DCC modules as a freelancer.

However, they have worked with older publishers to bring premium reprints of that old school material out, including Judges Guide me and the Grintooth stuff. That, and connections at WotC, got them this D&D gig.

The DCC RPG rules are very interesting: D&D redesigned from the ground up.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
Never liked this module either so yeah, Hard Skip for me too. Still, I am happy to see these being made and surprised WotC doesn't do it themselves.

I enjoyed Isle of Dread though, but I am waiting for Against the Giants and a few others. We've run Keep on the Borderlands. It was good work, but in retrospect our DM said he could have just as easily converted it himself and saved $50. I found it interesting to read some of the additional content personally, however.

Well Against the Giants is in Tales from the Yawning Portal so either your wait is over or I wouldn't hold my breath, depending on how you want to roll with that:D

I've run B2 myself, starting before the book was out and then working it in during the run. If you have the original adventures and particularly if you've run them a ...few... times over the years, then these new super-editions are definitely "nice to have" rather than "essential.

That said, they are pretty nice to have and I am really looking forward to Super Barrier Peaks. There's a little more to it with all of the unusual tech stuff so it should benefit from a deeper dive like we will see here.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
So, has anyone got it, or used it?

Wondering about the 5e conversion, and if it would be challenging enough for a 10th level or so party.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases