Monsters for an arctic campaign

Satyrn

First Post
Stick the words "frost" or "ice" in front of monsters in the Monster Manual, give them resistance or immunity to cold sometimes, and call it good.

Exception!

Instead of tacking the word "frost" onto a girallon, you gotta rename it "Bonerfart."

Galendril

Explorer
Cold
Wind Chill
Soft Ground
Icy Water
Bog
Avalanche
Snowdrifts
Thin Ice
Blizzards
White Outs

- the weather becomes a huge factor in true arctic campaigns and is often far more dangerous than any monster. When night falls the wind chill alone makes getting rest near impossible without the PCs having really good shelter. The cold kills, but also remember that areas of melt can result in boggy ground and icy water that acts as a trap to the unwary.

Snow drifts also make the ground soft and difficult to walk on, leading to greater likelihood of falls.

Then of course there is the dreaded blizzard, the whiteout and the rush of the avalanche.

I love these ideas. They could become skill challenges.

Depending where in the artic you are, a lot of aquatic monsters work well. The PC's walking across the ice are potential good prey for something that can break the ice, grab them, and take them under (very cold) water. I would imagine ice gives the critter at least partial cover*, but likely no cover for the PC's (shadows in the surface of the ice as the PC's walk across it should be pretty visible to underwater predators).

* of course, a good (evil) DM will have the PC see a shadow of something swim underneath them and disappear before attacking. I am also pretty sure fire or thunder damage spells and being on the ice are bad ideas....as I always say, you know you are ice fishing with the wrong guy when he pulls out a stick of dynamite.

cmad1977

Hero
Stick the words "frost" or "ice" in front of monsters in the Monster Manual, give them resistance or immunity to cold sometimes, and call it good.

Yeah. I add fur to things and suddenly you have a ‘wooly Bulette’. Which I haven’t used.... but........

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Most undead and constructs work just fine in frigid weather.

You could probably also hand-wave that most fiends, celestials, elementals and aberrations are unaffected by cold weather too. Just on account of sheer weirdness and/or magicalness. I guess the water elementals would freeze and become ice elementals, though. Do we have stats for that yet?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The first level of an underground dungeon in the arctic will be embedded in permafrost, and should be described to match. Explore another layer or two down and it gets … warmer?! … when you hit rock.
If you want to do glaciers, the whole dungeon could be carved out of ice. And it might feel much warmer than the windy outdoors. The firepit would be sunk waaaay low in the floor.
One of the 3e DMGs had a stat section on 'fantastic dungeons', including things like ice doors and frost windows.

The 4e Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide talks about Narfell undergoing the cooldown leading into an Ice Age. This may help you with descriptive text, and provide ideas.

+1 for Frostburn. It inspired me to add a mountain peak environment to a campaign that otherwise used The Trackless Sand Desert as 'one edge of the map'.

Remove ads