Critical Role Do you Critical Role?

Do you Critical Role?

• Um...what's 'Critical Role'? Is it some kind of podcast or something?

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I've never watched a single episode.

Votes: 51 22.9%
  • Not really. It's just not my cup of tea.

Votes: 62 27.8%
  • Eh, I'll watch it every now and then, when I'm bored or whatever.

Votes: 22 9.9%
  • Every now and then, when I can find the time.

Votes: 29 13.0%
  • I'm a regular viewer. Is it Thursday yet?

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Yep. And Talks Machina, and Between the Sheets, and Handbooker Helper, and...

Votes: 21 9.4%

• Poll closed .

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Recent threads (and national headlines) have got me curious: how many ENWorlders watch Critical Role?

EDIT: Sorry about the poorly-worded Response No. 5...I didn't intend to make it sound so similar to the adjacent option.
If it helps, pretend I said "As often as I can, when I can find the time."

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
No. Absolutely not.
And it's not because I don't enjoy the idea. I just don't have the time.
Not even close to enough time.
The struggle is real. I want to re-watch the Briarwoods story arc, but at 4-5 hours per episode, that's pretty much a part-time job! :)

ArwensDaughter

Adventurer
I marked "every now and then" My high school/college age children watch it regularly (especially my son in High school). I catch bits and pieces; typically I see the first little bit on Thursday evening, and he catches me up on some of what has happened. I enjoy it in small doses; I'm not minded to stay up to watch the whole thing, and I find that I enjoy watching others play D&D less than I enjoy playing it myself. But I enjoy being a fan "once removed."

thorgrit

Explorer
For whatever reason, could be the playstyle, the editing, the types of players, I not only couldn't get into it, it always felt more like an uncanny-valley-like interpretation of tabletop play than anything I've personally experienced.

Then again, I don't really enjoy listening to play session recordings anyway, preferring my podcasts to be people talking about tabletop, rather than performing it.

I tried it. It wasn't my cup of tea. I'm glad it exists for people who do like it, though.

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
I never watch it live, I listen to it in the background while I work. As I work alone it’s nice to have the company.

Edit: and I especially appreciate it now that my home game has slowed to every other week. (which means a month gap if it gets cancelled... :( )

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
I'm a big fan of the voice actors, but this is not for me. I've given it a try several times, did not latch on.

Correlated, I can't stand podcasts. They don't go at the right speed to keep my attention. And I have lousy ears and speeding them up often makes me miss words here and there. My mind wanders off to think about other things. Spoken word / conversation speed is ridiculously slow when you're just consuming. At least with movies (which I watch little, and same with TV) there's more for your eyes to enjoy as well, and you'll also processing the score and such. Plus the pacing changes up - might have a dialog, and then it shifts to something else, and so forth.

I'm a rather fast reader (60 pages/hr technical, up to 100 pages an hour for fluff fiction), Critical Role, as much as I enjoy could enjoy it for a five minute stretch, just can't keep me entertained for an hour, much less a whole episode, and forget about all the episodes.

Remove ads