Black miniatures painting recipe

rounser

First Post
This should probably be on DakkaDakka or Warseer, but I'm not a member of those sites so I'll try here.

Does anyone know the recipe for painting black to achieve Golden Demon or 'Eavy Metal results? I'm thinking of using it on Legion of the Damned marine chapter.

Thanks.

pogre

Legend
It is a little older, but the tutorial over at Massive Voodoo has one of my favorite references for painting black:
Massive Voodoo Tutorial

Giovanni, an excellent painter, has a master class tutorial on painting black power armor:
figure mentor tutorial

Also, if you use Facebook there is a group called 'eavier Metal, which is a lot of top notch painters who are very helpful.

Good luck!

This should probably be on DakkaDakka or Warseer, but I'm not a member of those sites so I'll try here.

Does anyone know the recipe for painting black to achieve Golden Demon or 'Eavy Metal results? I'm thinking of using it on Legion of the Damned marine chapter.

Thanks.

What type of black are you trying to achieve? There is plain flat black, faded black, glossy black leather, etc. The colors and techniques to get those effects will be different.

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Legion of the Damned are on the easier side of painting black (which generally isn't easy). All you really need to do with LoD is make sure you keep the edging on the power armour nice and crisp and it'll be great. I'd recommend 4-5 layers feathered together ranging from really dark gray to a medium or lighter gray. How light you go is a function of how much pop you want on that part of the fig. If you want to add battle damage and weathering that's a whole other thing of course

Another option, and on that I like a lot, is actually to use shades of blue rather than gray for the edging. It still looks black, but you also get some nice colour complementing set next to flames that have a good bit or orange in the mix.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases