D&D Icons of the Realms, Dungeon of the Mad Mage miniatures

Kor

First Post
I would consider the paint application on these minis to be somewhere between average and above average. While the quality of the paint application may not be great, many of these miniatures have a significant amount of paint steps applied to them. Because of this, I do think they are slightly above average.

The downside of taking photos with a macro lense, is that it will show off every little flaw on the mini -- it is sort of like placing the mini right in front of your eyeball. For general table top use, in which you would be sitting about 2-feet away from the minis, you will not notice these flaws and imperfections.

For mass-manufactured minis made at a fairly reasonable price, the paint application is going to have these types of imperfections -- the main challenge for the makers of pre-painted miniatures is to ensure the level of flaws and imperfections do not detract from the overall appearance or to decrease the amount of satisfaction one feels when using the miniatures. I think WizKids has met the goal of this challenge.

However, if anyone is comparing the minis in this set to WizKids' Pathfinder Battles minis, then you may note that the overall paint application of the D&D miniatures is not at the same level of quality.

pogre

Legend
I
The downside of taking photos with a macro lense, is that it will show off every little flaw on the mini -- it is sort of like placing the mini right in front of your eyeball. For general table top use, in which you would be sitting about 2-feet away from the minis, you will not notice these flaws and imperfections.

Oh, I am keenly aware of the dastardly macro lense! I always think I have painted well until I get the figures in a photo tent.

For mass-manufactured minis made at a fairly reasonable price, the paint application is going to have these types of imperfections -- the main challenge for the makers of pre-painted miniatures is to ensure the level of flaws and imperfections do not detract from the overall appearance or to decrease the amount of satisfaction one feels when using the miniatures. I think WizKids has met the goal of this challenge.
We call it the "two-foot good" paint job. ;)

However, if anyone is comparing the minis in this set to WizKids' Pathfinder Battles minis, then you may note that the overall paint application of the D&D miniatures is not at the same level of quality.

Interesting - is the price point of the Pathfinder miniatures significantly higher?

jasper

Rotten DM
I have bought some and they good and some are ugly. My friends have gotten lucky and drew rares and ultra rares including Halastar.

I just ordered the dungeon furniture from ebay, because you can never haver enough of that. I still want to get that metal scorpion as well, because it fits a monster I want to use some time in my current campaign. Most of the other minis are a bit meh though.

Update: I received above mentioned order in perfect condition, and I am very happy with it. Some of the smaller props are not as useful (such as the crystal ball and the demon claw thingy), but the tables, closet, candleholders and stacked books are just what I needed to spice up my dungeons.

The paint job on these is pretty good as far as prepainted miniatures go. No complaints really.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases